• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pork Belly source?

MargyB

I've been inspired by many references in egullet to pork bellies and I'd love to try doing one. Does anyone know where in the south bay area (california) I can find a supplier? I've tried Andronico's and Draeger's in Los Altos so far with no luck. I'm in Santa Clara.

Thanks,

Margy

I've been inspired by many references in egullet to pork bellies and I'd love to try doing one. Does anyone know where in the south bay area (california) I can find a supplier? I've tried Andronico's and Draeger's in Los Altos so far with no luck. I'm in Santa Clara.

Thanks,

Margy

Mail order from Niman Ranch.

I believe Prather ranch meats carries it at the Ferry Building in SF.

Also check and see if "The Fatted Calf" comes to any of your local farmers markets. If they do, they might not bring any on a regular basis, but talk to the person working the stall and they will probably bring you a slab the next time they come around.

Generally if you ask your butcher nicely they can also get it from their meat supplier.

WWW.BETTERPORK.COM

Was that URL meant to inform us of a mail order source? I checked it out and didn't find any info on pork belly. Thanks.

So far, Niman Ranch is the only source for ordering I've found.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I've found bellies at Asian and Hispanic markets, but they seem to use the best specimens to cut into serving sizes that -- at about 1-1/2 inches wide -- are too narrow for doing bacon in a practical manner. When I've gotten whole bellies, they've been on the scrawny side. Cheap, but proving the rule that you often get what you pay for.

My next one will come from here: Riverview Farms. I've never had the belly, but I tried some chops a little while back: marbled, deep pink, porky; the pig of my youth. They don't have on-line ordering yet, but they respond to e-mail. They also use something called a telephone.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Thanks so much for all of your input......I'll definately check out Ranch 99 and I also thought I'd check out a local butcher shop, Los Gatos Meats and Smoke house. If those sources don't work out, I'll order one from Nimen Ranch.

Margy

http://www.betterpork.com/edenfarms/edenfarms/Florida.htm
Was that URL meant to inform us of a mail order source? I checked it out and didn't find any info on pork belly. Thanks.

So far, Niman Ranch is the only source for ordering I've found.

go through the website, click your state .

The locator page is obtusely named "Menu." Here's a direct link: click!.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Thanks so much for all of your input......I'll definately check out Ranch 99 and I also thought I'd check out a local butcher shop, Los Gatos Meats and Smoke house. If those sources don't work out, I'll order one from Nimen Ranch.

Margy

You may also want to call up Dittmer's Gourmet Meats and Wurst Haus, a German butcher/deli in Mountain View and see if they carry it. They will also special order things upon request.

(I'd love to hear about the results of your searching for my own information... :smile:)

Good luck!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 4 years later...