• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mint: Uses & Storage

tommy

interesting... thank you!

we shall inquire around for ice cream machines.

So far, we've made mint pesto, and we plan to make buttloads of iced tea, mojitos, mint ice cubes, and a rather strange recipe for chutney I will have to post about later. It involves whey.

You can dry it, or you can freeze it in water.

To dry it, spread on a sheet pan on top of paper towels and place in oven. if you have a pilot light that should be o.k.

Otherwise set your oven to the lowest temperature you can, 150 degrees F if possible, or just turn it on for a few minutes then turn it off, when it cools turn it on again, then off. At this temp it should be dry in about 12 hours.

To freeze, remove the leaves from the stems, pack tightly into a freezable container and fill with water to within 1 inch of the top, cover and freeze.

You can also make a simple syrup (2 cups sugar to 1 cup water, crush the leaves and stems and add to the syrup and simmer gently for 20 minutes, strain the syrup into a container and refrigerate. This also can be frozen to keep it longer, just freeze it in ice cube trays, then store in a sealed container or heavyweight ziploc bags.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

... and a rather strange recipe for chutney I will have to post about later. It involves whey.

I was going to suggest mint chutney-- maybe post in the India forum for a recipe. That will use a ton of mint and will likely freeze well.

I'm very curious about the recipe with whey-- where did it come from? I suppose Indian cooks may have whey from making paneer, but this strikes me as most unusual. Please tell me more!

Here's how we were taught to wash and store mint to keep it fresh longer. Worked for us:

Soak mint for 5 minutes in bath of 5000 g water with 1g of bleach added. Rinse, then soak 10 minutes in 5000 g water with 1 gram white vinegar added. Drain well, but do not rinse. Store in cooler in an airtight container with paper towel in bottom.

Ladies and gentlemen, i present the definitive method for keeping mint fresh for service, suggested by nightscotsman!

I used this method on one bunch last Wednesday and the mint was STILL fresh-looking this evening. The control bunch (from the same delivery), kept in the "herb box" in a reach-in with all the other herbs, in a paper bag, was limp and lifeless.

I must admit, i didn't measure the 5000/1 bleach-water and vinegar-water solutions - suffice it to say i made very weak solutions of both, in ice water. After the vinegar bath, i shook off the excess moisture and imprisoned the stalks in an air-tight container with a damp paper towel on the bottom, and a dry paper towel on top. The leaves are still bright green and rigid. Thanks, Neil!! :biggrin:

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

The mint chutney/ whey recipe comes from a strange book called Nourishing Traditions. Sally Fallon, the author, is very much into using whey to ferment condiments such as ketchup, mustard and various British-style chutneys. Supposedly, the addition of small amounts of whey adds significantly to the shelflife of the homemade product.

I originally chose her mint chutney recipe, as opposed to Madhur Jaffrey's Indian-style mint chutney, because I have all the ingredients for the former, but not for the latter. Although, with this insane quantity of the herb, I expect Madhur's recipe will get some attention, as well.

This all reminds me that I need to go hang some yogurt over night, to collect the whey. For awhile there, we tried to make whey from the farm-share raw milk we get each week, but that was a little too scary.

Tonight we had lamb chops with mint pesto and a simple mint sauce from an ancient copy of Gourmet, like 1989. It was very good.

The mojito fest has to wait until my parents have come and gone. They do not approve. They will have to drink mint iced tea, instead. :raz:

There are some fairly new plastic bags on the market now: Evert Fresh green bags and Glad FreshProtect. I have been using both for all my vegetables and herbs for the past few months with excellent results. I had Thai basil, which is even more perishable than mint, in one of these bags for four or five days without any sign of black. It retained its flavor too. I wrapped it first in a paper towel before putting it in the bag. I have no idea what makes these bags different from the regular plastic bags. They claim to use a "revolutionary technology". Whatever it is it seems effective. See EvertFresh

Ruth Friedman

yes...alcoholic drinks are good...

so is dried mint...for mint powder...

infusing it in a neutral substance to use as flavoring would be nice too...I really like minted green pea puree for lamb...or minted fava bean hummus...that one is a kicker, because you say hummus and people have a certain thing in mind...and then you bring out this bright, alien green substance and they are instantly intrigued....

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

There are some fairly new plastic bags on the market now: Evert Fresh green bags and Glad FreshProtect. I have been using both for all my vegetables and herbs for the past few months with excellent results. I had Thai basil, which is even more perishable than mint, in one of these bags for four or five days without any sign of black. It retained its flavor too. I wrapped it first in a paper towel before putting it in the bag. I have no idea what makes these bags different from the regular plastic bags. They claim to use a "revolutionary technology". Whatever it is it seems effective. See EvertFresh

What the bags have is a catalyst as part of the plastic that absorbs ethylene gas. Ethylene is the compund given off by fruits and leaves and triggers ripening, ripening being on the way to rotting. That ethylene is why you put some apple in a paper bag with peaches or pears to ripen them. Apples are prodigous ethylene producers. Those bags really work. I have kept rinsed baby greens for almost two weeks. Bed Bath & Beyond also has some little green discs that you put in the veggie drawer that does the same thing.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Perhaps just as important: Why does it work? Has it anything to do with the acid/alkalai levels in the bleach vs. vinegar?

Food scientists?

Bueller?

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

• 1 year later...

Well, it's not a Pastry/Baking answer, but my first thought was "Mojitos for everyone!" :biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Mint sorbet? Sounds quite refreshing though probably a mint tea sorbet, chocolate and mint Ice cream/Sorbet though does depend what variety of mint you've got! Maybe a chocolate and mint mousse.

Running out of ideas, perhabs a load of Tabboule(Now that I know is spelt wrong), Pea and mint pasta salad, pea and mint risotto.

Thats it I'm done

Stef

Perfection cant be reached, but it can be strived for!

Mint sorbet? Sounds quite refreshing though probably a mint tea sorbet, chocolate and mint Ice cream/Sorbet though does depend what variety of mint you've got! Maybe a chocolate and mint mousse.

Running out of ideas, perhabs a load of Tabboule(Now that I know is spelt wrong), Pea and mint pasta salad, pea and mint risotto.

Thats it I'm done

Stef

Thanks for the ideas, Stef -- I like the idea of a mint sorbet. My mint is a spearmint variety called 'Kentucky Colonel' and has a strong, clean spearmint flavor.

Thats it I'm done

Stef

Thanks for the ideas, Stef -- I like the idea of a mint sorbet. My mint is a spearmint variety called 'Kentucky Colonel' and has a strong, clean spearmint flavor.

You should have no problem with chocolate then some of the other varietys are a bit overbearing! With the salad and risotto I'd add a little vinegar and sugar like a mint sauce for lamb. Got to be honest not a real lover of choc and mint.

With spearmint you may even get a way with a straight ice cream, though what you'd serve it with is a bit baffling!

I'm sure there's a fruit that would take mint, seen basil and strawberries work really well, I'm thinking peaches just cant seem to make it work in my head, would perhaps try poaching them in a mint syrup.

Perfection cant be reached, but it can be strived for!

Make a straight herbal mint tea. Put a pot of water up to boil, then go outside and give the mint a good "haircut." Wash the mint, just to make sure there's not buggies or dirt clinging to them, and dump in the pot when it comes to a boil. Strain out after 5-10 minutes steeping. It makes a very refreshing tea, hot or cold.

Make Lebanese fattoush salad (recipe follows) and increase the amount of mint (my recipe is pretty stingy in the mint dep't). Or make tabouli salad with half mint and half parsley (instead of all parsley). They're both absolutely wonderful salads -perfectly summery

Lebanese Fattoush Salad

For the salad:

2 large pita breads (pocket type)

8 cups torn romaine lettuce leaves – preferably just hearts

1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved

1 cup seedless cucumber, cut into 1/4-inch (.5 cm) cubes

1/4 cup chopped green onion

1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro

1/4 cup finely chopped fresh mint leaves

3/4 cup coarsely crumbled feta cheese

1/4 cup pitted and halved Kalamata olives

For the dressing:

3/4 cup olive oil

1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice

1 – 2 cloves garlic, minced

2 tsp. sumac powder (optional)

1/2 tsp. cumin

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. black pepper

Preheat the oven to 350o F. With a sharp knife or scissors, cut around the edges of the pita breads and separate the two layers. Cut each layer into 6 wedges and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the pita wedges are crisp and lightly browned. Remove from oven and break into large chunks. Set aside.

In a large salad bowl, combine the lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, green onion, cilantro and mint. Arrange the feta cheese, olives and pita chips on top.

In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, sumac, cumin, salt and pepper. Pour about half of the dressing over the salad in the bowl, toss until everything is coated with dressing. Add more dressing if necessary, and toss again to combine. (Leftover dressing can be refrigerated and used with a day or two.)

Makes 4 to 6 servings.