• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Double Chocolate Mousse Bombe - refrigerated storage

Darienne

Guests arrive this week on Thursday afternoon and the Double Chocolate Mousse Bombe birthday cake is to be served at Saturday lunch for two of the gentlemen.   That's two days later.   And it was specifically requested and agreed to.  

This chocolate cake is refrigerated and contains both a milk chocolate and a dark chocolate mousse, and is covered by a chocolate glaze which the  instructions suggest you apply only 30 minutes before serving (and which I cannot realistically do.)  In fact, the entire cake is now practically speaking beyond my energy level these days...but there you are...don't bother going there, please.  I've now already listened to a lecture by my dear Ed ( who never listens to sense himself.)

The cookbook says you can refrigerate the cake with the two mousses up to 48 hours before serving.  That would mean making the second mousse Thursday morning for lunch on Saturday morning.  Could I realistically make the cake on Wednesday?  Or is that pushing it just too far?

The recipe comes from One Cake, One Hundred Desserts, by Greg Case and Keri Fisher, 2006.

Plus I have salads to make and they can't be made far ahead either: potato salad, cucumber salad, pepper salad, tabbouleh, and bean salad.  I'm planning on laying them out in a sort of mise en place style ahead of time.  Might just skip the potato salad.  Yes, I used to be able to do all this...but that was then and this is now.    I would say that this is definitely the last time I do this at all.  The last three years have not been good ones health wise.  Sorry to whine while asking Pastry & Baking questions. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

In my experience everything you describe is okey dokey in a cold fridge well covered. Don't sweat the small stuff ;)  And they are dog people with big hearts - not food critics That includes the salads

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1