• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine storage temperature

georgeabshire

Hi, I’ve got a collection of decently fine wine, and my storage room/cellar will get up to 68 degrees Fahrenheit on really hot days. it drops down to 60-64@night after hot days, and will stay around just 60 during the summer on average as long as it does not get too hot.

my question is if this will be a problem, since the temp only rises for a short time, I think the bottles stay around 60degrees?

any advice or experience?

thanks for your time.

Everything I’ve been told or read over many years associated with wine says that consistency is more critical than a short variation of only 8 degrees. That said, 60° is a bit higher than optimal (generally in the mid-50s) but if it’s consistent you should be OK. If, as you say, the bottles stay at 60° I don’t think you have anything to worry about. Light and humidity are associated issues you should look into if you’re not fully aware.

On 5/27/2022 at 12:11 PM, Midlife said:

Light and humidity are associated issues you should look into if you’re not fully aware.

What's the humidity issue? The possibility of corks drying out?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 5/26/2022 at 2:23 PM, georgeabshire said:

Hi, I’ve got a collection of decently fine wine, and my storage room/cellar will get up to 68 degrees Fahrenheit on really hot days. it drops down to 60-64@night after hot days, and will stay around just 60 during the summer on average as long as it does not get too hot.

my question is if this will be a problem, since the temp only rises for a short time, I think the bottles stay around 60degrees?

any advice or experience?

thanks for your time.

It sounds to me as if your cellar is just fine. I don't think you're seeing large swings in temperature that will affect your wine.

I mean, I store stuff in a closet that is a lot warmer than that, not for decades, but to little ill effect over a year or two or three.

If you've got some somewhat valuable stuff that you want to hold onto for a decade or more, then maybe think about a dedicated storage situation.

Otherwise, drink up.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

Otherwise, drink up

I’ve always thought that wine was best at ~98.6°F/37°C. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog