• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food For Watching A Political Debate

LoveToEatATL

I am hosting a dinner party Wednesday night for a group of friends that I met working on a gubernatorial campaign.

Wednesday night is the debate, and while I am a volunteer, my guests are all staffers that have been burning the midnight oil.

I really want to pamper them with a gorgeous dinner - can you help?

To start, I was thinking champagne and caviar on halved red potatoes

For dinner maybe crabcakes, filet mignon and some healthy lovely veggie dishes (they have eaten so much junk lately, I thought that some fresh food would be a welcome change).

We are also planning a drinking game for when our candidate says some random phrase (you know the drill.....).

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Patti Davis

www.anatomyofadinnerparty.com

Caviar and Champagne is gonna blow the budget, unless, you don't particularly care about that -- and you'll need a reputable supplier for Russian Ossetra or decent domestic stuff from the Pacific Northwest.

I know it probably isn't what you had in mind, but you can't beat Italian for a real home cooked meal. Just for the simplicity of preparation, I'd go with a couple of tried and true Ital-Am casserole dishes, like perhaps Eggplant Parmigiano/Rollatine or Stuffed Manicotti or a Lasagne (you could do a summer vegetable, tomato-less lasagne as an alternative to one of the other dishes that has tomatoes in it). Filet Mignon would be nice, and you can get good deals on entire cryovac'ed primals from COSTCO or other good supermarket but you want stuff they can easily eat with just a fork especially if you are all sitting down in the living room and watching TV -- so maybe some nice meatballs too. If you want to go upscale I'd do shrimp, scallops, some other kind of seafood appetizer/antipasto unless you got freaky friends who won't eat that stuff. It's the right weather for Ceviche now -- a shrimp, scallop, mussel, calamari ceviche appetizer would be great, along with some kind of bruschetta. Make a nice big salad with nice vegetables from a farm stand or a reputable supermarket with good produce, it's summertime. Finish off with a dessert that has some nice fresh fruit on top, like a simple pound cake with fresh macerated strawberries and whipped cream.

And a nice red wine to go with it.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

You don't mention where your candidates are debating.

If your state is known for anything culinary--potatoes, blueberries, corn, wine--I'd try to incorporate some pertinent foods into the menu.

Depending on the party of your candidate, you might make finger food out of the mascot of the rival candidate to bite (filled with something red and spurty?) or throw at the television screen.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

I would do something very traditional, bringing to mind those old guard leather and wood steakhouses in DC. I like the idea of the caviar and the steaks. However, if you want to stretch your caviar, serve it on deviled quail eggs - people won't need as much that way. I'm thinking you need a serious potato thing to go with the steaks, like a gratin or dauphinoise. Asparagus in hollandaise would be a good side. Dessert could be a nice warm crumble with ice cream to round things out.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

Terrific suggestions, all! I want to do every one of them.

Hmmm. How to incorporate it all?

Maybe the beef tenderloin with eggplant parm and a shrimp appy.

Anyone got a great shrimp appy idea?

And a fabulous salad and asparagus.

With blueberry crumble for dessert.

Patti Davis

www.anatomyofadinnerparty.com

Peel Shrimp. Wrap with Bacon. Stick on skewers with fresh pineapple. Brush with BBQ sauce or teriyaki glaze. Grill on BBQ or toaster oven.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

It's been a long, long time since I worked on a campaign but I gotta tell you, this is great. Generally, you work long hours and live on whatever crap is left lying around the campaign office or whatever you can grab quick and fast while you are out. A real meal is terrific. However, if they've been living on salty, crispy, sugary, carbo-laden, fat-laden crap, they may appreciate lighter stuff.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Hi

I have a cocktail I've been making all summer long for parties that everyone loves, that would be great for a drinking game. I chunk up a watermelon, put it in a few freezer bags and stash in the freezer for a hour or two before the party, then toss in a blender with a handful of ice, the juice of a lime, 1 tablespoon sugar and a large quantity of vodka. :blink: If you want to put this over the top add a handful of fresh mint to the blender and garnish glasses with a spring of mint and a round of lime. An added bonus is the house smells wonderful when you make these.

I'd like to hear what your candidates issues are. Here's a funny link from Slate about a Debate Drinking Game.

Grace

Grace Piper, host of Fearless Cooking

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My eGullet Blog: What I ate for one week Nov. 2010

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking

I just noticed this and realize it's over but I have to voice my utter dismay that all of the wiseacres overlooked the obvious answer:

PORK! :wink:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher