• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Texas menu ideas needed

PicnicChef

Hello All!

You guys always give such great ideas, and I'm in need of one. For a series of menus I'm doing I need a great buffet menu of Texan specialties. I'm also attempting to finish up one called "The Heartland" so any and all ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks much!

Also pinto beans, ribs and potato salad. Anything Tex-Mex like enchiladas, refried beans and rice, etc. Chicken Fried Steak and gravy with mashed potatoes.

Stop Family Violence

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Dessert can be pecan pie as well as Texas Brownies.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

beanless competition-style Chili with beef cubes (not ground beef)

http://austin.about.com/od/chili/

Tamales

Chicken-Fried Steak

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Hello All!

You guys always give such great ideas, and I'm in need of one. For a series of menus I'm doing I need a great buffet menu of Texan specialties. I'm also attempting to finish up one called "The Heartland" so any and all ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks much!

There is quite a range of specialities depending on which part of the state you find yourself. Brisket and ribs, chicken fried steak, all sorts of Tex-Mex enchiladas, tacos, and fajitas are all good starting points. Down here near the coast, shrimp, crawfish, Gulf oysters, blue crabs, and red snapper are favorites among seafood. Doves, quail, venison sausages and venison chili are staples for the gun crowd. Sides include all sorts of rice-based dishes, yellow squash casserole, guacamole, chili con queso, the entire gamut of cajun-based cuisine, particularly now that we have half of New Orleans over here, fried okra, corn bread, grits, and smothered greens make the list. Pecan desserts and fresh peach pies are among my favorites as well. For purposes of a buffet, you might want to concentrate on a particular area (Tex-Mex or seafood or wild game or barbecue and their appropriate companion dishes would be quite effective. Good luck.