• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brasilia Grill

philadining

yummmmm.......where those yummy chicken hearts on one of thos skewers.

I'm not much of a betting gal Matt but I'd bet a BMW on it being chicken hearts! LOL

Where is this wonderful place, do they have a web site? Could the poster kindly provide a list of what some of the items are? Thanks a ton and a half! :laugh:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

OH, my god I'm still full! Yes, there were chicken hearts, also pork sausage, chicken sausage, sirloin, sirloin wrapped in bacon, pork, salmon, chicken legs, chicken wings, ribs, leg of lamb (which came out after we were done) and lots of other beef that I couldn't identify, but everything was delicious. We tried not to fill up on the buffet to leave room for the meat, but there were black beans and rice and rice with chicken, greens, okra, fried bananas, fish filet, cheese rolls, breaded/fried brocoli (unbelieveable) and all the usual salad bar item. Plus changing platters at the end of the buffet with marinated mussels, calamari salad, the pictured asparagus with ham and more, more, more. The desserts tray had flan, chocolate cake, coconut flan, puddings...more....all served in HUGE portions. Plus all the beer, wine and sangria you could drink, and coffee, tea, expresso, etc etc. All for $34. WOW! The servers were friendly and accomodating. And the Ironbound is a fascinating part of the City of Newark that feels like another world. Would love to explore all the various bakeries, meat markets, ice cream shops and other restaurants. Seems like a great place to stroll before and/or after diner.

It was terrific meeting many of the Phila egulleters. So many made the trip that there were people at the other end of the table I never saw!

All in all a wonderful way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

Dana

A couple of details:

BRASILIA GRILL

97-99 Monroe St. (The Ironbound District)

Newark, NJ 07105

Phone: 973-589-8682

As I hope the photos convey, Brasilia Grill served-up truly excellent food. I'm embarrassed to admit that I got sucked into the feeding-frenzy to such a degree that I completely neglected my responsibilities to document this extravaganza, and missed taking photos of the vast majority of meats. Even without taking pix, I was having trouble keeping up with the furious pace of meat-distribution.

It was all quite fresh and tasty, from the grilled meats right through the extensive hot and cold salad bar. If I had any small complaint, it might be that some of the meat that was served in chunks, rather than sliced off the skewer, was somewhat randomly very rare or very well-done. Happily it was all good even at those extremes. And the paths taken by the skewer-guys seemed a little random too, we never felt completely confident that a certain skewer was coming our way without some frantic arm-waving and pleading. But that's really mostly pathetic neurosis: everything was likely coming our way eventually, and given that we were so inundated with meat, it's a bit crazy to worry that we might have missed one of the selections. Servers were very pleasant and accommodating.

I have to say that I liked everything that I ate, which added-up to about double my body weight of primarily grilled meats, but I did make an attempt to try some of the salad bar too. And yep, I'm with ya Dana, I'm still full.... (And yes Matt, those were Chicken Hearts. They were good!)

This outing was officially an event of the Dangerous Dining Club, which is populated quite heavily with eGulleteers that frequent the Pennsylvania boards, but it was great to meet some of the North Jersey eG folks too! (Thanks for adding those pics ejebud, nice shots!!) Major thanks to South Jersey Epicurean for organizing this event. I didn't do a head-count, but we took up about a row and a half of looooong tables.

Again, big fun, great food, very cool to meet some of the Jersey folks, as well as share some great food with the old crowd as well. I'd certainly recommend this particular restaurant, the food was quite good, and the price was insanely good for what we got.

I'm ashamed to say that I hadn't visited the Ironbound previously. I'll certainly be back!

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Those pics look great!

I haven't been to that restaurant in over a year. Does anyone know if the restaurant still has access to that parking lot? I thought that was a great added convenience considering the parking situation in the Ironbound.

Edited by Adam P. (log)

A couple of details:

BRASILIA GRILL

97-99 Monroe St. (The Ironbound District)

Newark, NJ 07105

Phone: 973-589-8682

As I hope the photos convey, Brasilia Grill served-up truly excellent food. I'm embarrassed to admit that I got sucked into the feeding-frenzy to such a degree that I completely neglected my responsibilities to document this extravaganza, and missed taking photos of the vast  majority of meats. Even without taking pix, I was having trouble keeping up with the furious pace of meat-distribution.

It was all quite fresh and tasty, from the grilled meats right through the extensive hot and cold salad bar. If I had any small complaint, it might be that some of the meat that was served in chunks, rather than sliced off the skewer, was somewhat randomly very rare or very well-done. Happily it was all good even at those extremes. And the paths taken by the skewer-guys  seemed a little random too, we never felt completely confident that a certain skewer was coming our way without some frantic arm-waving and pleading. But that's really mostly pathetic neurosis: everything was likely coming our way eventually, and given that we were so inundated with meat, it's a bit crazy to worry that we might have missed one of the selections.  Servers were very pleasant and accommodating.

I have to say that I liked everything that I ate, which added-up to about double my body weight of primarily grilled meats, but I did make an attempt to try some of the salad bar too.  And yep, I'm with ya Dana, I'm still full....  (And yes Matt, those were Chicken Hearts.  They were good!)

This outing was officially an event of the Dangerous Dining Club, which is populated quite heavily with eGulleteers that frequent the Pennsylvania boards, but it was great to meet some of the North Jersey eG folks too! (Thanks for adding those pics ejebud, nice shots!!) Major thanks to South Jersey Epicurean for organizing this event. I didn't do a head-count, but we took up about a row and a half of looooong tables.

Again, big fun, great food, very cool to meet some of the Jersey folks, as well as share some great food with the old crowd as well. I'd certainly recommend this particular restaurant, the food was quite good, and the price was insanely good for what we got.

I'm ashamed to say that I hadn't visited the Ironbound previously. I'll certainly be back!

Once again, Philadining, great pictures. Jeez it's only 11:00 am and I'm salivating over those grilled meats.

I completely zoned out on this event as I wanted to go. I've been to the Ironbound many times and to this particular place a few times. There's really nothing quite like Ferry Street and the immediate environs for wonderful Portugese and Spanish food. One of my favorite things about this neighborhood is the wonderful Portugese bread served and available at the many bakeries there.

Another stellar dish I've had are pork and clams, amazing!!

I really have to get back there.

The place is overwhelming. We dined there just about a year ago and this time was as good or better dining with a group of starved DDCers and friends. I purposely ate very little in the morning so I could taste as much as possible. At two o'clock the place was jumping and there was no letdown in the nearly four hours there.

Looking at the photos late on a Sunday morning makes me think that I will return in warmer weather.

Thanks Gary for planning and organinzing this bash.

I may have had a little too much sangria but it was a party.

Happy Birthday Katie!

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

Ohmigosh! I'm still tired. Digesting that much meat is exhausting! But yeah - it was great! The staff was very nice and helpful, despite the somewhat random path of the meat skewers and that buffet could be enough just on it's own. There were marinated mussels and calamari salad, little Pao de qeuijo aka Brazilian Cheezy Poofs that were served warm (soooooo yummy!), all kinds of fresh cold salads and cold vegetables, three kinds of beans, two kinds of rice, and all manner of other stuff in addition to standard salad bar fare. Yeesh! It was hard not to fill up before the meat skewers started to come out.

I thought Brasilia was even better than our last Rodizio Run to Seabra's in Perth Amboy (which was pretty good too!). Quality of the meats seems higher and the atmosphere was a bit more convivial. They even had a band to sing to me! Maybe it was all those pitchers of sangria and it being my birthday, but I had the very best time. :smile:

It was a pleasure to see some JerseGulleteers again and to meet a few more I hadn't had the pleasure of meeting previously. Great to meet ejebud and his lovely wife and I owe him a visit to AHD as soon as they're up and running again.

The $34 all-you-could-eat-and-drink was a banquet package negotiated for our group by our fabulous host South Jersey Epicurian. I think their normal prices don't include drinks but I'm certain the sangria is available by the pitcher on the regular menu. We had red, white and BLUE sangria in abundance!

Thanks to Gary for organizing and to everyone for coming out for my unofficial party! It was great!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Those pics look great!

I haven't been to that restaurant in over a year. Does anyone know if the restaurant still has access to that parking lot? I thought that was a great added convenience considering the parking situation in the Ironbound.

Not only was there parking next door, but they had access to the bank parking lot on the block behind the restaurant. There was an attendant that would give you a ticket to get stamped by the restaurant if you used the bank lot.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I recalled that after our dining at Brasilia Grill last year Robert Sietesma reviewed the place for the Village Voice, whose restaurant criticism I find more valuable than the NYT.

A link to the review is here: http://www.villagevoice.com/nyclife/0510,s...1,61793,15.html

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

Two words: MEAT COMA. :laugh: That's what I was saying in the car...on my way to Nasto's to stock up on their pear sorbet. :biggrin: No, I didn't eat any of them last night! I think it was about 11:30pm when I finally decided to have a bowl of cereal... Great to see some of the Philly crew again, and to finally put names and faces with others. Jeff, as usual, your pics are great! And Eric, nice work as well!

The food was very tasty, and that includes the veggies--what a joy to see GREEN collards on the buffet! I did eat my veggies before the meatfest began, and really enjoyed the marinated shrooms as well as the broccolini. And Katie's right--the cheesy poofs were FABULOUS. I also tried the beef croquette and had a few maduros. And if I hadn't been told to try the breaded (fried) broccoli, I would have passed it up--and that would have been a real shame!

Favorite meat? Without a doubt, the short ribs. And of course, they were the last thing I had (meatwise)--next time I'll know to request or at least wait for them! I also thought the chicken sausage was excellent, and a welcome surprise! The chicken hearts were good, but I thought they just tasted like a lot of the other meats. Loved the red sangria, and if I wasn't driving, certainly could have kept them busy refilling the pitcher on our end of the table!

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the salt content wasn't nearly as high at Brasilia Grill as I've found it to be at other rodizio/churrascuria I've been to. Not that there wasn't salt--just not as much as other places. And of course, the cute Brazilian and Portuguese men serving us didn't hurt... :wub: Finally, as is always the case in the Ironbound, the coffee is excellent, and the "honkin' piece of flan" was a terrific way to end a very fun afternoon.

Thanks for coordinating everything, Gary!!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Even MEAT COMA doesnt do the day justice, Curlz, but this was one hell of a rodizio experience, if just for the off-the-hook salad bar ( that doesnt even do the term "salad bar" justice) and the superb barbecue. I, too, found the short ribs to the best of show, followed closely by the prime rib, sirloin wrapped in bacon, turkey wrapped in bacon, and sausages.

Huge huge kudos to Gary Kritz for pulling this DDC road trip off; it was, for me, a spectacular rodizio experience. Really great dining companions, too.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Please, please, PUHHLEEEEZE give me a heads-up when you do go back!

I'm still sorry I missed this pigout, and even more so now that I see what I missed. (I didn't have the swag on hand Saturday morning, either, which didn't help, but the resumes I was working on made getting away difficult as it was.) But thanks for checking in on me.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I think I was still full the next day. Serious meat overload! Excellent short ribs and I too loved the sirloin wrapped in bacon.

The ocra dish on the buffet was yummy as was the flavored rice.

<i>edited to say more</i> I was at work and had to stop egulleting.

The company was wonderful too. It's not often that you meet a group of strangers and feel right at ease, but I always feel that way with egulleters.

Edited by Beth E. (log)

Please, please, PUHHLEEEEZE give me a heads-up when you do go back!

I'm still sorry I missed this pigout, and even more so now that I see what I missed. (I didn't have the swag on hand Saturday morning, either, which didn't help, but the resumes I was working on made getting away difficult as it was.) But thanks for checking in on me.

It may take close to two hours but you can get to Newark by train from Philadelphia relatively easily. Take SEPTA to Trenton. Switch to NJ Transit, usually on the same track. Take NJT to Newark's Penn Station, under an hour. When you get off in Newark follow the signs to Market Street. When you exit you will be on Ferry Street. Walk right and follow Ferry Street to Madison, Monroe, etc. It is under ten minutes walk to Brasalia Grill. In good weather the trip is well worth it.

I was at the dinner and intend to retunrn by train from Hamilton after April 17. I may try a differnt place. This was my second time at Brasilia Grill.