• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philadelphia's Best Burger

Tim Dolan

So based on googlemaps, it looks like for driving to the Edison location from NJ Turnpike, that would mean getting off at the Parkway exit going west, and taking it to Route 1 South, and the White Castle would be on the right?

The Garden State Parkway is a north/south road.

You may want to take exit 10 to 287 west to route north and just turn around at Menlo Park Mall, Parsanage Road.

I used to be in the Menol Park area often but that was a number of years ago, but I don't recall a Whiate Castel in that area.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

I found my pay day lunch spot, the Columbia Bar and Grill on the main drag in Phoenixville. I've been there twice in the past month, and their burger definitely passes the test. The fries aren't anything to write home about, but twice I've gotten a perfectly cooked, juicy medium rare burger. It comes serve on a soft, fresh multigrain bun with a side of garlic mayo. It looks like they will be getting some serious competition from the newly open Iron Hill Brewery right next door, which only means there's more room for me to enjoy my Daily News while I'm sitting at the bar.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

I found my pay day lunch spot, the Columbia Bar and Grill on the main drag in Phoenixville.  I've been there twice in the past month, and their burger definitely passes the test.  The fries aren't anything to write home about, but twice I've gotten a perfectly cooked, juicy medium rare burger.  It comes serve on a soft, fresh multigrain bun with a side of garlic mayo.  It looks like they will be getting some serious competition from the newly open Iron Hill Brewery right next door, which only means there's more room for me to enjoy my Daily News while I'm sitting at the bar.

Not if the customers are there for the food, you won't.

I've dined on at least two occasions at the Iron Hill in Media, and the food, while far from bad, is nothing to rave about either. I'd say it's straight-down-the-middle, only-a-tad-fancified-at-the-edges pub fare -- better than TGI Friday's or Ruby Tuesday's only because it's local and can be eaten with decent brews.

All the Columbia Grill would need to do to meet the competition is add more microbrews to its beer menu. Assuming they don't have any now, that is.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

• 4 weeks later...

According to Craig Laban, the city's best burger trophy goes to Good Dog, with a two bell review from Himself.

According to the article the foie gras has been out of the burger mix for some time as well. So it's just a regular tasty and juicy burger with no magical ingredients except the hidden stash of blue cheese inside. Yeah, that'll do as well. :smile:

I feel I must post Mr. Laban's brilliant haiku that this delicious burger has inspired:

Cheeseburger, I hold

Mischief heart of liquid bleu

You melt into mine

:laugh: Love it!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I've dined on at least two occasions at the Iron Hill in Media, and the food, while far from bad, is nothing to rave about either.  I'd say it's straight-down-the-middle, only-a-tad-fancified-at-the-edges pub fare -- better than TGI Friday's or Ruby Tuesday's only because it's local and can be eaten with decent brews.

That was my basic impression having dined at Iron Hill only once, the one in West Chester.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Well, it's a good thing that Sly Fox has good beer because their burger isn't anything to write home about. Just got back from the Royersford location and I have to say I was disappointed. Being that they offer such a variety of well made brews I thought they would have a better menu to go along with them. I guess I was just expecting more because of the high quality of bar food I'm accustomed to getting in Philly.

I went with 5 coworkers to celebrate one of their birthdays. Everyone agreed that their food was no better than average, if that, and I have to agree. I ordered their Black N' Bleu Burger, oh so cleverly named because of the blackening seasoning and blue cheese. Ordered it med-rare, came out a pinch below well. There might have been a speck of pink in there, but it also could've just been the light. I'm actually glad it came out overdone, because the quality of the meat seemed like something that I would not want eat below a medium doneness. Probably the worst part about it was that it was served on a snowflake-type roll, you know, those cheap flour covered rolls that come in bags of 8 from Shoprite. Just my humble opinion, but I hate those rolls.

Really the worst part was because we all had to go back to work, I couldn't even wash down my burger with a beer! Just a subpar lunch overall. I hope the Phoenixville location is better. Side note; I think it's weird that they have their locations situated so close to each other. The only other comparison I could think of would be the Chickie's and Pete's in the Northeast, but I at least understand that they were expanding to bigger digs on the Boulevard as opposed to the cramped row home by Harbison. It just strikes me as odd. Oh well it's not really important anyway. The bottom line, their food has a lot of running to do if they want to catch up with their beer.

On a completely different note, I did try the marketing gimmick triple prime burger from Ruby Tuesday, and it was actually very good. I definitely would've taken it over Sly Fox's burger today. Now I'm not about to tell everyone to flock to Ruby Tuesday to try it, but if you ever find yourself in unfamiliar territory and get a burger craving, it's worth stopping for.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

On a completely different note, I did try the marketing gimmick triple prime burger from Ruby Tuesday, and it was actually very good.  I definitely would've taken it over Sly Fox's burger today.  Now I'm not about to tell everyone to flock to Ruby Tuesday to try it, but if you ever find yourself in unfamiliar territory and get a burger craving, it's worth stopping for.

I was in NY earlier today on business and around 3:00 pm realized how hungry I was, not having eaten all day. Meetings were over and there was nothing around (should have checked the NY board I guess) What do I pass but Ruby Tuesday and promptly remember something about a triple prime burger being really good. I hate chains, really hate them. But, I was really hungry and ended up going in. To my astonishment this burger was delightful, really flavorful and juicy. It was even cooked to my liking - rare (well really close to rare anyway)

They serve them on a funky long and narrow plate with a few ok fries. Only complaint was for $10 it could have been a bigger burger. The roll was also excellent, some brioche thing.

• 5 months later...
Today's Inky (5/23) teases about LaBan's "quest for great burgers" in tomorrow's food section.

Well, ya gotta hope he mentions the Grey Lodge's burger, IMHO, one of the best in the city.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Lets hope he didn't drag along his gang of cheesesteak eating teens again. :wink:

It will be interesting to see how much emphasis he places on immenseness and baubles as opposed to smaller, traditional hamburgers.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Lets hope he didn't drag along his gang of cheesesteak eating teens again.  :wink:

It will be interesting to see how much emphasis he places on immenseness and baubles as opposed to smaller, traditional hamburgers.

Me thinks you mean twins don't you?

Lets hope he didn't drag along his gang of cheesesteak eating teens again.   :wink:

Me thinks you mean twins don't you?

LaBan mentored a high school senior project team for the cheesesteak article. Since those kids graduated in 2002, their research is a bit long in the tooth, so to speak.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

I swear he's on the payroll there  :biggrin:

I had been going to the Grey Lodge once a week for over 8 years. All they had then were good micros on tap, landjaegers, tomato pies and these amazing mushroom wraps, filled with fresh mushrooms, swiss and scallions--amazing bar food.

Since the arrival of the twins, I've barely been able to get to the Grey Lodge even once a month! But I HAVE eaten through the restaurant menu now (and Ive brought the twins along a few times!) and I cannot go there without ordering: the Red Thai curry mussels, the fries, the cheesesteak, the burger or the spinach salad. Thank God I never go there alone, but rather with willing accomplices. It's hard enough to choose from the tap beer menu.....

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

My first visit to the Grey Lodge was for the Phillyblog Happy Hour last month. It won't be my last.

(The owner also posts regularly to Phillyblog. He finally got to meet me in person. He made a point of noting that his establishment is a place where everyone is welcome -- except those who don't want to make everyone feel welcome.)

Those Thai curry mussels were all that and a bag of chips. I think I'm going to have to come up with excuses to head up there and work my way through the menu.

Methinks we need to stop seeking nefarious intent where there's merely good intentions and a will to spread the gospel of the Grey Lodge. The beer selection and whiskey selection alone are worth a special trip. The menu and quality of the food is a bonus in my book. The Grey Lodge is a fine and well run establishment that ought to have our support rather than unfounded speculation on the intent of its proponents.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

so you think i could drag the boy there after work for a good bar food dinner?

There is enough on the menu for a baby to nibble on, but I'd bring baby food just in case. Twins enjoyed: fish & chips, chicken tenders, mozz sticks, rolls, tiny bites of burger and penne pasta and bean soup last time we were there. Mike Scotese the owner keeps promising a childrens' menu soon, but we need to keep prodding him on that. And at least 1 or 2 more high chairs (the GL has one)!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Methinks we need to stop seeking nefarious intent where there's merely good intentions and a will to spread the gospel of the Grey Lodge.  The beer selection and whiskey selection alone are worth a special trip.  The menu and quality of the food is a bonus in my book.  The Grey Lodge is a fine and well run establishment that ought to have our support rather than unfounded speculation on the intent of its proponents.

Assuming you were referring to my post, please understand I don't really think Rich has anything to do with the joint except to enjoy their really great food. It was posted totally in jest, thought that was obvious but I guess not

Somehow LaBan left off Grey Lodge in his burger blitz this morning. Anyone ever hear of Snow White luncheonette? Sounds like it may be worth a visit, $4.00 hand formed fresh patties from the meat store around the block...Then there's Rouge at $15 bucks.

Somehow LaBan left off Grey Lodge in his burger blitz this morning. Anyone ever hear of Snow White luncheonette? Sounds like it may be worth a visit, $4.00 hand formed fresh patties from the meat store around the block...Then there's Rouge at $15 bucks.

Snow White has been a great breakfast and burger/dog luncheonette for a looong time, seems like 25 years. try the milkshakes.

Methinks we need to stop seeking nefarious intent where there's merely good intentions and a will to spread the gospel of the Grey Lodge. 

i'm not seeking nefarious intent! i'm just busting rich's stones. just like i like to tease phil about snackbar, or sandy for comparing everything to kansas city. good-natured ribbing is all too rare on eG these days.

man it's frightening how many of those burgers i've had.

According to Craig Laban, the city's best burger trophy goes to Good Dog, with a two bell review from Himself.

According to the article the foie gras has been out of the burger mix for some time as well.  So it's just a regular tasty and juicy burger with no magical ingredients except the hidden stash of blue cheese inside.  Yeah,  that'll do as well. :smile:

I feel I must post Mr. Laban's brilliant haiku that this delicious burger has inspired:

Cheeseburger, I hold

Mischief heart of liquid bleu

You melt into mine

:laugh: Love it!

1. He hasn't changed his opinion about Good Dog's place in the hamburger firmament. (His assessment of Five Guys vs. In-n-Out is also accurate: They're in the same league but not on the same plane.)

2. That little haiku begat a song. Check out the video. Yes, that's him in it; no, you still ain't gonna see his face. The song ain't half bad, either, though I don't think we're going to add it to the PGMC repertoire.

3. I do have one quibble with his choice of words in today's feature: "a final shake of peppery salt"? I have seen combined salt-and-pepper shakers, but they seem to me exceedingly rare; the two spices are usually kept segregated until they are applied, each in turn. Maybe I need to pay closer attention the next time I'm in my favorite burger joint.