• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philadelphia's Best Burger

Tim Dolan

Since this has been more or less debated in a few other threads I decided why not give it it's own topic. I love burgers. Nothing can quite satisfy a hunger like a nice, big, juicy cheeseburger. Thanks specifically to this website, I've been able to travel around the city and sample burgers from places that I would otherwise probably never stop at. Over the past year I've been at many different establishments trying to see whose burger stands out from the crowd. In the next few weeks I'll certainly be re-visiting some places to jog my memory and also be trying to new places to see how their burger stacks up.

For the record, my opinion is very humble, and my culinary knowledge compared to everyone else who posts on this site is very limited. But I know what I like, and I like burgers. As a side note we can include fries too, cause what's a good burger without good fries? I'm sure people will agree that good fries can definitely enhance the burger eating experience. I like my fries with the skin still on, slightly crispy and sprinkled liberally with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. Anything else is just second rate. So who has the city's best burger?

I should note that I hate onions, so it can be assumed that they're never going to be on a burger that I eat. I also dislike lettuce and tomato (and basically all veggies for that matter), so they're not part of my equation either. I wasn't kidding about my culinary knowledge being very limited, which leads my opinion to be very humble :wink:

My current favorite is the Good Dog burger, hands down. It's just great. I was just there again on Thursday night and again had a great burger. Everytime I've been there the burger has came out perfectly cooked to order, with piping hot Roquefort cheese oozing out if it. The mix of normal and sweet potato fries are also top notch. The Good Dog burger, along with a Yard's Love Stoudt, is like Mike Tyson in his prime. It will just knock you out.

On Katie's recommendation I got myself down to Rouge yesterday to try their burger. While Rouge's offering was damn good, it just didn't wow me like the Good Dog burger. For starters, it's huge. I didn't finish it, which for me is about as rare as a lunar eclipse. The fries, or "pomme frites" as it said on the menu, were excellent. At $15 it wasn't a bargain, but hey when you're eating in the city's ritziest area what do you expect. And this burger is just good enough that they can get away with charging that price for it. To be fair, I was nursing a wicked hangover which may (actually, definitely) have affected my tastebuds (and state of mind,) so I'll be returning to Rouge shortly to give them a more fair shot.

A few months ago I had Standard Tap's burger, and to be honest, I was underwhelmed. Many people have given Standard Tap high praise on this site, so maybe I had the bar set too high for them. I doubt everybody could be wrong about ST, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to a bad night. They'll also get another shot in the near future.

I've had the burger at London Grill in Fairmount, and the English muffin gimmick doesn't really work for me. The burger itself isn't bad, but it isn't great. The fries were forgettable. I would say that it's not worth returning for. The real place to grab a burger in the "Art Museum Area" (I hate that, it's called Fairmount for ferchrissakes) is down the block at the Bishop's Collar. Everytime I've been to the Bishop's Collar it's packed so they gotta be doing something right. I forgot to say that the only thing that goes better with a burger than fries is bacon. I love bacon cheeseburgers (I'm such a carnivore), and the Bishop's Collar is definitely worth a return visit.

Alright I'm out of time for this reviewing session, gotta go get ready for the Super Bowl. I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's opinion!

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

Since this has been more or less debated in a few other threads I decided why not give it it's own topic. I love burgers. Nothing can quite satisfy a hunger like a nice, big, juicy cheeseburger. Thanks specifically to this website, I've been able to travel around the city and sample burgers from places that I would otherwise probably never stop at. Over the past year I've been at many different establishments trying to see whose burger stands out from the crowd. In the next few weeks I'll certainly be re-visiting some places to jog my memory and also be trying to new places to see how their burger stacks up.

For the record, my opinion is very humble, and my culinary knowledge compared to everyone else who posts on this site is very limited. But I know what I like, and I like burgers. As a side note we can include fries too, cause what's a good burger without good fries? I'm sure people will agree that good fries can definitely enhance the burger eating experience. I like my fries with the skin still on, slightly crispy and sprinkled liberally with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. Anything else is just second rate. So who has the city's best burger?

I should note that I hate onions, so it can be assumed that they're never going to be on a burger that I eat. I also dislike lettuce and tomato (and basically all veggies for that matter), so they're not part of my equation either. I wasn't kidding about my culinary knowledge being very limited, which leads my opinion to be very humble  :wink:

My current favorite is the Good Dog burger, hands down. It's just great. I was just there again on Thursday night and again had a great burger. Everytime I've been there the burger has came out perfectly cooked to order, with piping hot Roquefort cheese oozing out if it. The mix of normal and sweet potato fries are also top notch. The Good Dog burger, along with a Yard's Love Stoudt, is like Mike Tyson in his prime. It will just knock you out.

On Katie's recommendation I got myself down to Rouge yesterday to try their burger. While Rouge's offering was damn good, it just didn't wow me like the Good Dog burger. For starters, it's huge. I didn't finish it, which for me is about as rare as a lunar eclipse. The fries, or "pomme frites" as it said on the menu, were excellent. At $15 it wasn't a bargain, but hey when you're eating in the city's ritziest area what do you expect. And this burger is just good enough that they can get away with charging that price for it. To be fair, I was nursing a wicked hangover which may (actually, definitely) have affected my tastebuds (and state of mind,) so I'll be returning to Rouge shortly to give them a more fair shot.

A few months ago I had Standard Tap's burger, and to be honest, I was underwhelmed. Many people have given Standard Tap high praise on this site, so maybe I had the bar set too high for them. I doubt everybody could be wrong about ST, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to a bad night. They'll also get another shot in the near future.

I've had the burger at London Grill in Fairmount, and the English muffin gimmick doesn't really work for me. The burger itself isn't bad, but it isn't great. The fries were forgettable. I would say that it's not worth returning for. The real place to grab a burger in the "Art Museum Area" (I hate that, it's called Fairmount for ferchrissakes) is down the block at the Bishop's Collar. Everytime I've been to the Bishop's Collar it's packed so they gotta be doing something right. I forgot to say that the only thing that goes better with a burger than fries is bacon. I love bacon cheeseburgers (I'm such a carnivore), and the Bishop's Collar is definitely worth a return visit.

Alright I'm out of time for this reviewing session, gotta go get ready for the Super Bowl. I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's opinion!

As I posted elsewhere, I'm a huge fan of Standard Tap's burger. I never had less than a perfect burger there but I suppose everyone's entitled to a few miss hits now and again. Suggest you try them again. While you're there, (off topic I know) get the mussels to start.

Rouge does make an awesome burger and fries are indeed great, I still give the edge to Tap though. Monks is always a good bet too. Speaking of great fries, get to Royal Tavern in the northeast. Hands down best fries I've ever had.

I'll have to try Good Dog with all the favorable posts here.

BTW, I totally agree with you about veggies on a burger. My feeling is, if I wanted a salad, I would have ordered one. But onions, a must for me- the fried variety really makes it for me.

Is there anyplace in town that, city health regulations notwithstanding, will make a burger "Pittsburgh rare", i.e., charred on the outside, but still cool (raw) in the very center? I like to live dangerously.

Not sure about cc, but we just had a really good burger not long ago at KC Prime in Lawrenceville and we actually got it rare. I couldn't believe it, I suppose they would have made it pittsburgh if I asked. So much for mad cow disease. I mean, if I want to take the risk, however minimal, shouldn't it be my choice. I was waiting for a legal waiver to sign.

a couple more for your consideration:

1. black sheep. they make an excellent burger there--BUT. sometimes if they're in a hurry they do that thing where they press it on the grill, which dries out a burger and makes it overcook more quickly. go on an off-night. their fries are also solid.

2. brasserie perrier makes a consistently great burger, and i do mean great. served on a brioche roll--i recommend it with blue cheese and caramelized onions. and (holly take note) when they're on, which has been about two of the three times i've been there, they make perfect fries. about 1/4-3/8 in. thick, and they must be twice fried, as near as i can tell, because they're perfectly crisp on the outside and giving inside.... they make it worth it to get fries. usually i don't even bother with fries if i have a couple and they suck. but these are the bomb.

i don't understand the thing with the sweet potato fries, really, because they're never crisp. and i think they make the regular fries soggy too. bleah.

but anyway, yeah, brasserie perrier. one of the best burgers in town, and on thursday evening they have a happy hour 7-9 where they pour house wine for like $4 a glass and lager is $2.50 or something. so even though the burger is like $13, it can still be inexpensive.

A lot has to do with the burger size. I am not a fan of the humongous burgers which I consider to be anything larger than a third of a pound. As much as I like to wear some of my meal, the giant burgers rarely stay with the bun and the ingredients slip out all over the place. Restaurants keep building burgers bigger and bigger to justify a higher menu price.

My favorite Philadelphia area burger is from a place called Charlies in Folsom, in the airport area. This is the classic American hamburger as it should be served.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

A lot has to do with the burger size.  I am not a fan of the humongous burgers which I consider to be anything larger than a third of a pound.  As much as I like to wear some of my meal, the giant burgers rarely stay with the bun and the ingredients slip out all over the place.  Restaurants keep building burgers bigger and bigger to justify a higher menu price.

My favorite Philadelphia area burger is from a place called Charlies in Folsom, in the airport area.  This is the classic American hamburger as it should be served.

Wow, Holly, these burgers must be good, $145 for one burger?? Just kidding, the website forgot the decimal points.

Gotta tell you, from the pictures, they don't look good enough to rate 5 grease stains. That is high praise indeed but tell me what makes them so special?

We agree with you, Rlibkind, about a true, rare burger. We also like it rare, and no one (even my favorite Tap), serves it that way! What are they so afraid of? I know for a fact that Tap gets their meat from good places...

Actually, we have stopped eating burgers out. We get our ground beef from a Lancaster farm called "Dr. Elkins Grassfed" beef. It's the most amazing beef we've ever had. It's got taste, its local, it has no added stuff to it, AND, we cook it ourselves---RARE.

We have it usually bunless, or on a baguette or brioche, plain or with a thin slice of Comte. We really need to taste this amazing beef. Hubby simply salts and peppers it, and cooks it on the grill pan or outside charcoal grill. The taste cannot compare to any restaurant recently. A bit of homemade ketchup, or Bauman's ketchup, or none. No mustard or mayo. Outstanding.

Philly Francophiles

I think gooddog has a better meat component to there burger ,with that blue cheese and all but rouge has the total package bun ,meat ,cheese ,bacon,and fries.

but when shola was at bleu ,man that was a burger.

"..French Vanilla, Butter Pecan, Chocolate Deluxe, even Caramel sundaes is getting touched.." Ice Cream

Is there anyplace in town that, city health regulations notwithstanding, will make a burger "Pittsburgh rare", i.e., charred on the outside, but still cool (raw) in the very center? I like to live dangerously.

Not sure about cc, but we just had a really good burger not long ago at KC Prime in Lawrenceville[...]

Any relation to Derek Davis' now-closed Manayunk steakhouse?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

We agree with you, Rlibkind, about a true, rare burger. We also like it rare, and no one (even my favorite Tap), serves it that way! What are they so afraid of? I know for a fact that Tap gets their meat from good places...

Alas, no establishment will advertise they serve rare burgers, because of city health regulations (Section 3-06.1):
Hamburger patties and other ground meat products shall be heated to ensure that all parts of the product are heated to 155ºF (68.3ºC).

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Not sure about cc, but we just had a really good burger not long ago at KC Prime in Lawrenceville[...]

Any relation to Derek Davis' now-closed Manayunk steakhouse?

Sandy, I don't think so but it could be, particularly with the trademark issue.

My favorite Philadelphia area burger is from a place called Charlies in Folsom, in the airport area.  This is the classic American hamburger as it should be served.

Of course, I'd be inclined to like such a place.

It takes me back to my childhood, when burgers were made with fresh meat and the extra was served in the metal milk shake canister. The thing I noticed on my first visit to Charlie's was that pairs ordered whatever burgers and fries they wanted with a shared milkshake. Get one!

The place that did so in American Fork, UT was Don's Drive-in, home of the hobo hamburger. If they'd had the right marketing consultant back then, you might be able to get a hobo hamburger in every town in America today. Of course, it would be nothing like the original.

Go to Charlie's in Folsom for the original.

Hint: It's around the corner from where Mapquest tells you.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

It takes me back to my childhood, when burgers were made with fresh meat and the extra was served in the metal milk shake canister. 

They served you extra fresh meat in the milkshake canister!?! Charlie, you went to some weird places as a kid. But then I suspected that about you!

Oh -- extra milkshake in the metal canister. I get it.. You can still get that at the Silk City.

BTW I thought I read somewhere that the owner of North Third might buy Silk City. North Third, incidentally, makes a very fine burger.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

A lot has to do with the burger size.  I am not a fan of the humongous burgers which I consider to be anything larger than a third of a pound.  As much as I like to wear some of my meal, the giant burgers rarely stay with the bun and the ingredients slip out all over the place.  Restaurants keep building burgers bigger and bigger to justify a higher menu price.

Wow, Holly, these burgers must be good, $145 for one burger?? Just kidding, the website forgot the decimal points.

Gotta tell you, from the pictures, they don't look good enough to rate 5 grease stains. That is high praise indeed but tell me what makes them so special?

You should see my pics of White Manna burgers then. Beauty is in the eye of the eater. I show the burgers as they come off the grill to the customer. Restaurant verite.

Why better. Toasted buns, hand formed patties in the area of 1/4 lb, a glisten of grease on the bun crown, slightly squashed from the grill iron. Classic and the way a hamburger was meant to be served. So many of the designer burger places don't even make the effort to toast the buns. But the only way to understand and appreciate what a burger should be is to do as Charlie Mummer says and head to Charlie's.

The bars and restaurants do eight ounce burgers not because it is a better burger but because they can't charge $7.95 for a proper quarter pound burger. The mache, the goat cheese, the fois gras and all the other frills - build the perceived value and the size of the check. Same reason those places don't offer cups of soup anymore.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

For ambience, you can't beat Charlie's. But, for the price (5.95 for 8 oz burger & fries) you can't beat Yummy Cafe for flavor. With my 52 inch belly, having lots of patty and less bun is optimal. Township line (Rte 1) at Burmont Ave (shop ctr just past Swiss Farms but before Pilgrim Gardens shop ctr)

I feel very confident adding the burger at the the GREY LODGE to the consideration forum.  Very juicy, beefy and served on a flawless Depalma's roll.

Ooops, I meant to say the Grey Lodge's french fries were the best I've had in my post above. I said Royal Tavern, sorry. Haven't tried the burger here but the rib eye steak sure was good.

I concur that Brasserie Perrier has the most remarkable fries. I've always had them with a steak (steak frites on their menu) but I will try the burger next time I get a chance.

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

I feel very confident adding the burger at the the GREY LODGE to the consideration forum.  Very juicy, beefy and served on a flawless Depalma's roll.

We were there last Saturday having exactly that. A worthy contender! If you ask Holly nicely, he'll show you a picture of exactly what I ate. (Hol', don't post the picture of the live chicken).

Edited by marinade (log)

Jim Tarantino

Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures, & Glazes

Ten Speed Press

i think this discussion is kind of interesting--it's hard to define what the best burger in town is, if you don't define what you're looking for in a burger to start with.

often, i like a nicely charred outside. a beefy, rather than burger-y flavor--like a good steak, ground up. i like a brioche roll, because after all in the same way that a pat of butter enhanced a good steak, a ridiculously buttery roll enhances a good burger. i like it with blue cheese, and caramelized onions.

other times, i'm right with holly--very few adornments, a smaller, greasier patty that'll stand up to squashing, american cheese and a whitebread roll. and ketchup, maybe with some hot sauce mixed in.

i think those are two different styles of burgers--and while i don't necessarily disagree that the restaurants are doing it to make money, i love the giant steakier burgers that i posted above as well as the smaller ones.

mmmm burger

"Alas, no establishment will advertise they serve rare burgers, because of city health regulations (Section 3-06.1): "

I don't understand...according to health regulations, you can't get rare ground beef. But you can get carpaccio many places, I believe, and raw beef at Vietnam Palace and other places.

Philly Francophiles

"Alas, no establishment will advertise they serve rare burgers, because of city health regulations (Section 3-06.1): "

I don't understand...according to health regulations, you can't get rare ground beef. But you can get carpaccio many places, I believe, and raw beef at Vietnam Palace and other places.

There is a much bigger risk factor with ground beef because (1) it goes through a grinder with lots of other meat, (2) a lot of the ground meat served in restaurants is ground by the packer, not a the restaurant, by the ton, which creates lots more opportunity for pathogens and their little buddies to spread and multiply , and (3) the very process of grinding the meat exposes a geometrically grater surface area to air and potential contamination.

Carpaccio is sliced and prepared to order; because of this much less surface area is exposed to air for a much lesser period of time.

That said, I still don't see why I can't get it my way. Require a risk statement, like on a pack of cigarettes, perhaps, but don't limit my choice.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report