• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

best place to buy corn? blueberries?

[add to the list of software update wish list the ability to crosspost to different sections, unless i'm stoopid and it's already available]

So where to y'all go for this stuff, my favorite summer foods?

Trautwein in Closter definitely gets good corn but I havent tried any of his this season yet.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

One of them I grilled on the barbecue and one piece I boiled. Perhaps I just picked the wrong ears of corn but I have found a place on Dey Road in Cranbury, NJ to be very good. The peaches from Ridgewood were good. There was an article in the Record yesterday giving the rundown on Bergen Co and neighboring markets (including how many farmers at each, etc.

I haven't been there for a few years. There were few farmers there and the quality wasn't anywhere near what you get in the city's markets, or maybe I'm just spoiled by Union Sq.

bought corn from Farmers Market in Ridgewood today.

Worst corn I have had all summer.  (not sweet at all)

I will try Closter

that corn was from Georgia,I think if you r going to sell any thing in a farmers market it should from the same farm that is selling it .

bought corn from Farmers Market in Ridgewood today.

Worst corn I have had all summer.  (not sweet at all)

I will try Closter

that corn was from Georgia,I think if you r going to sell any thing in a farmers market it should from the same farm that is selling it .

Who the hell cares as long as it is fresh and tastes good?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Some of you may know that I participate in an organic produce co-op called Purple Dragon, kind of like a CSA. Anyway last order's blueberries were so good, when we were offered extra this week we got them. We have a couple pounds of the 15# case that have not been claimed by our group's members (you have to order in advance) so if you are interested, email me at rperlow@egullet.com. Delivery is this Saturday. If you are interested in buying an entire 15# case ($45), email me ASAP, as the orders were supposed to be in yesterday.

Please keep in mind I live in Bergen County and you have to pick up on Saturday between 10AM and noon.

The issue at a farmer's market is that the produce and products should be grown or made on the farm. That is the rule at all the NY farmer's markets, but not apparently the case in NJ. You should care because if a farmer is selling something that has not been grown on his/her farm, you have no idea where the produce is from. It very likely came through Hunt's Point. Another reason to care, is that corruption of the market can be a cause for the ending of the market. It obviously varies on a state by state basis.