• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

sushi bar etiquette

chezcherie

i confess to sushi-ignorance. i was pregnant pretty much the whole decade that sushi came to prominence here in CA, and somehow, i never got the hang of it. but kid #2 is becoming quite the sushi-savvy guy, and he's curious. the place he frequents has a cabinet behind the sushi bar that contains sets of chopsticks that belong to regulars. he's a little hesitant to ask, so i'll ask here on his behalf...how does one go about having your own set stored there for ya, so you are not relegated to the pull apart wooden ones? thanks for helping!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

That regular chopstick feature must be a California-idea never seen it here at all. :unsure:

As mentioned most of the world uses disposable units and Health Inspectors generally frown on reuseable wooden utensils for customers.

I'm surpised to hear they allow it at all.

That regular chopstick feature must be a California-idea never seen it here at all. :unsure:

As mentioned most of the world uses disposable units and Health Inspectors generally frown on reuseable wooden utensils for customers.

I'm surpised to hear they allow it at all.

No, the procedure is that you bring in your own chopsticks, often highly valuable. Made of Jade, Pearl, Gold, or other exotic materiels and they will keep it behind the counter for you. I wager most japanese restaurants would be willing to do it for you if your a long time customer and it's usually fairly discreet so if you don't ask, you wouldn't know it existed.

PS: I am a guy.

That regular chopstick feature must be a California idea-never seen it here at all. :unsure:

As mentioned most of the world uses disposable units and Health Inspectors generally frown on reusable wooden utensils for customers.

I'm surprised to hear they allow it at all.

No, the procedure is that you bring in your own chopsticks, often highly valuable. Made of Jade, Pearl, Gold, or other exotic matériels and they will keep it behind the counter for you. I wager most Japanese restaurants would be willing to do it for you if your a long time customer and it's usually fairly discreet so if you don't ask, you wouldn't know it existed.

You misunderstand my post.

Of course people can have Ivory/WHY Chopsticks if they choose to bring them along.

But where I live Health regulations are very strict-disposable only and the Chef generally uses metal ones that are easily sterilised.

The idea that the restaurant might keep a box of someone's personal possessions on site wouldn't fly here at all.

As to something like that going on at any place I'm a regular and my not knowing-Fat Chance I'm sitting less than a meter away from the Chef-Chefs I've known for over a decade in some instances.

Different strokes definitely-this puts me to mind of another post on this site about actually tipping the Chef to give you decent fish!

I had to read and reread the post to understand how poorly some people were being treated in some places-or how naive/uninformed they were.

One of our favorite sushi bars in a chain restaurant (the chefs were all on one of #1 boy's records) used to have boxes with your names on them, and a pair of lacquered chopsticks for you. This was in the early 80's, so it must be a long rime custom.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

I know of a korean place here in nyc where if you become a regular they give you a pair of laquered chopsticks..which they keep on a showcase type wall for you...I'm guessing it's the same thing....money... :raz:

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Speaking of sushi bar etiquette, what's the right way to eat sushi and sashimi? The American way: mix wasabi into soy, dunk fish, top with ginger, eat. I've heard correctly that the ginger is for nibbling beteen bites, not with bites. What about the rest?

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

Speaking of sushi bar etiquette, what's the right way to eat sushi and sashimi? The American way: mix wasabi into soy, dunk fish, top with ginger, eat. I've heard correctly that the ginger is for nibbling beteen bites, not with bites. What about the rest?

I've never heard that "the American way" is to top the fish with ginger.

The ginger is meant to be nibbled separately, to cleanse the palate between bites.

Some purists don't even mix wasabi into the soy sauce.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

I've never heard that "the American way" is to top the fish with ginger.

The ginger is meant to be nibbled separately, to cleanse the palate between bites.

Some purists don't even mix wasabi into the soy sauce.

Nor have I ever heard anyone suggest this "American Way" of topping the sushi with the ginger. Yep, the ginger is for clearing the palate *between* bites of sushi, whether here in the US or in Japan or anywhere.

This site has a nice summary of sushi etiquette, plus links to additional sushi etiquette sites.

Edited by mizducky (log)

• 4 weeks later...

This site has a nice summary of sushi etiquette, plus links to additional sushi etiquette sites.

Interestingly, this site notes that, although chopsticks can be used, sushi is a finger food. This is consistent with what I was taught as well. Thus, the status conveyed by having one's own chopsticks on display would seem to be largely a matter of local marketing strategy.

:shock:

I can't say that I've seen this custom in Japanese restaurants in the SF Bay Area and I've been going to them frequently since the mid-80's. Since sushi is essentially fancy bar/entertainment food and not a more formal meal, it seems odd to me that if the custom exists that it would be at a sushi bar but I don't know. You might want to post this question in the Japan forum to see if the custom exists in Japan.