• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Things to eat with pancakes when you're bored

Fat Guy

how to do a really good chili in less than three hours

Impossible, even with using canned beans.

Pressure cooker?

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Spoken like a true Yankee!

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

How about pouring the pancake into rings and making those mc griddle things.. Or making mini pancakes and putting an assortment of different things on them.. Like pancake crostini's..

So on top of one you could do the duck, on top of another you could go fruit and cream, you could do a full pancake meal from salad to dessert.. In little portions..

I'm quite a fan of chinese roast pork or roast duck with pancakes. as well I grew up with creamed chicken and/or cream chip beef on various breakfast bread products.

One of my unfulfilled goals in life is eating generic ground beef (a la old el paso seasoning mix) for tacos in a thin pancake. someday. I always stay away from sweet with my pancakes, and like to cook them in a pan in which I've cooked bacon, to de-sweetify the pancakes a bit.

Spoken like a true Yankee!

Start with Italian Sausage, Diced Onion, Green Pepper. Fry those until the meat is cooked. Add Chili powder and ground cumin with salt and pepper to taste. Throw in a large can of diced tomatoes and two small cans of tomato sauce. Put in one or two cans of beans (I like kidney) and simmer for at least 20 minutes. It's a pretty good hurry up chili and I have never had a complaint. Though I will admit it is better the next day.

Edited by EllenC (log)

The fried chicken idea is very much along the lines of what I was thinking about. I see waffles as a bit heartier, or at least sturdier, than pancakes, so I was thinking maybe a variant, like chicken schnitzel or Buffalo-style chicken wings. Or I could just get a bucket of Popeye's and call it a night.

Fried chicken breast cutlets would be good. So would the Popeyes.

I'd say chicken fried steaks too. And fried pork chops.

All of this would be good with the syrup, too. Yum!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

What EllenC said about the chili. It can be done quickly. The sausage idea sounds ideal.

I was thinking some sort of sausage patties because sausage works so well with the maple. If you have access to other pre-smoked goodies like the pork chops, that is a natural with the maple as well.

So . . . I would go with sausage or something smoked and then some sort of fruit based salad, not real sweet, like the one I did for Sunday's smoked pork menu reported here.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Really like the chili idea. I kind of suck at making chili, but if anybody can tell me how to do a really good chili in less than three hours (I'll be home at three and need to have dinner on the table shortly after six) I might try to tackle that.

1) How long is your morning commute, and what time do you need to be at work?

2) Where is your Crock-Pot?

Let it do the work for you. Brown the meat, chop the onions and peppers, drain the beans, chop the tomatoes or open the can of (tomatoes|sauce|paste), toss everything in the slow cooker, add the spices, stir, cover, turn it on to Low and go about your day.

What? You don't have a Crock-Pot? Never mind.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Nope, no crock pot. I actually work at home, but today I'm going to be out until three.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Start with Italian Sausage, Diced Onion, Green Pepper.  Fry those until the meat is cooked.  Add Chili powder and ground cumin with salt and pepper to taste.  Throw in a large can of diced tomatoes and two small cans of tomato sauce.  Put in one or two cans of beans (I like kidney) and simmer for at least 20 minutes.  It's a pretty good hurry up chili and I have never had a complaint.  Though I will admit it is better the next day.

One suggestion I would also add is 1/2 tsp cocoa powder. It just seems to round out all of the flavors and help it be more unctuous.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

One of the best tweaked pancakes I've ever had was from

the Cafe de la Paz in Berkeley:

Corn pancakes with roasted red pepper ____ (something, I'm calling it chutney)

Take your usual pancake batter and add corn kernels to it (frozen or fresh,

amount depends on amount of batter, should be a lot); add salt and pepper

and chopped scallions and maybe cilantro.

Roast red peppers, peel, and chop or mush with a fork with toasted cumin powder, salt,

cayenne, and a splash of lemon juice.

Excellent!

Milagai

Nope, no crock pot. I actually work at home, but today I'm going to be out until three.

You don't need a crockpot, just a heavy pot or dutch oven and you can surely make it in under three hours. Is chili wonderful simmered all day? Sure. But you can have an equally wonderful chili that has only simmered for a few hours.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

pulled pork

red cooked chicken

carnitas

braised pork belly

You see where I'm going here...and all are incredible with pancakes.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

A light fruit soup made with pears and ginger or apples.

Hmm. Macoun apples and crystallized ginger. Could work as an appetizer or dessert.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking at first re pear. However, it also might be nice to use those apples and fresh gingerroot in a savory soup to sip out of a mug along with the meal, especially if you choose pork as the meat. Saute ginger with onions, add a little cider to chicken stock and maybe a drop of Calvados.

Then afterwards a simple boiled Swiss chard salad. If you don't have a crisp duck skin, for sake of texture after all the soft food, maybe a different, equally simple, complementary salad of thinly slivered fennel. Use Meyer lemons so the sweetness of maple syrup returns in a different guise.

Not yet 3:00. Too late to affect grocery shopping?

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

If you are having sweet pancakes, perhaps a lovely sharp blue cheese to counter the syrup? Cheese course! Add some figs or other fruit and some nuts and you're there...mmmm must be lunch time!

ETA: Ham, ham sounds very good.

Edited by Genny (log)

If you are having sweet pancakes, perhaps a lovely sharp blue cheese to counter the syrup?  Cheese course! Add some figs or other fruit and some nuts and you're there...mmmm must be lunch time!

ETA: Ham, ham sounds very good.

Yes, yes! Cheese course! When I was in Venezuela years ago, I had the most amazing corn pancake (cachapa), cooked over a wood fire, with some soft white cheese melted on top. On the side of a mountain road; the woman cooking them had a monkey on her shoulder (not her back). Once I made pancakes for my (ex) Venezuelan in-laws, and they asked where the cheese was! So I threw on some Munster or something and it was really, really good.

Edited by Basilgirl (log)

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

So I think what we've decided to do -- not entirely based on my preferences, but, rather, in consultation with the group that's eating the food -- is make two frittatas and serve them room temperature. One is going to be spinach, broccoli, mushroom and tomato with chives; the other is going to be sausage, swiss cheese, potato, onion and thyme. We'll have those with the pancakes and a green salad. I'm also going to make a ginger-apple compote type thing with crystallized ginger and the dozen or so deteriorating Macoun apples in my fruit drawer, and maybe some raisins. For dessert, chocolate chip cookies. And for an appetizer, I'm probably going to do a cold zucchini soup. Personally, I'd have preferred one of the pork or chicken options, but this crew doesn't seem to want big pieces of meat. Don't let me stop you all from continuing to brainstorm, though.

Personally, I'd have preferred one of the pork or chicken options, but this crew doesn't seem to want big pieces of meat. Don't let me stop you all from continuing to brainstorm, though.

Next time, invite me and I'll bring fried chicken and/or smoked butt.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"