• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christopher Elbow Artisanal Chocolates (KC)

On the back of the January issue of Fine Cooking, there is an article about Christopher Elbow and his chocolates... they are gorgeous! He is out of Kansas City, MO. I am definitely going to order some for Christmas presents! http://www.elbowchocolates.com/

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Wow, he has upgraded the web site and it looks gorgeous! As do the chocolates, of course!!!

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I'm glad to see him getting some recognition outside of the area. I expected it long ago but it seems some other artisans came online at about the same time and stole his thunder.

My favorites are fleur de sel and Vietnamese cinnamon.

Look for a blurb about his cocoa mixes in the November Fire & Knives.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I had the pleasure to enjoy assorted chocolates made by Chef Elbow in the 2003 James Beard Dinner at the American Restaurant. I also attended a cooking class by Chef Tio and Chef Elbow did a presentation on his chocolate cake type dessert. It was definetely mind blowing. We need to make sure he stays in KC, good chocolate making is very hard to find much less in Kansas City.

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

We need to make sure he stays in KC, good chocolate making is very hard to find much less in Kansas City.

Are you suggesting imprisonment? I think he's committed; since the Beard dinner he's moved into larger digs and expanded his operations. But I'll see about getting some shackles and chains and the like. You're right...we need him here and you'll probably want him to do some edgy mignardises for your restaurant.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Do you all know that Christopher is a member here? He used to post often in P & B, but has been quite lately..........probably due to his successful business. But you can get in touch with him thru eG if you had any questions, etc....

On a related topic if you look toward the front of that magazine you'll find an article on caramels. Well that would be another member of eG, she posts under the name Samaki, which is the name of her business.

Do you all know that Christopher is a member here? He used to post often in P & B, but has been quite lately..........probably due to his successful business. But you can get in touch with him thru eG if you had any questions, etc....

I guess I assumed he was a member, isn't everyone who's anyone?

:wink: Thanks for exposing him and, yes, I'm sure he's quite busy -- those little masterpieces don't make themselves, after all.

Edited by moosnsqrl (log)

M.F.K. Fisher

• 4 weeks later...

is this actually a storefront or is it purely mail-order? (i couldn't tell from the website) i'm thinking of a trip to KC, so this would definitely be a stop if the former.

Edited by Jammin (log)

is this actually a storefront or is it purely mail-order?  (i couldn't tell from the website)  i'm thinking of a trip to KC, so this would definitely be a stop if the former.

He actually has a storefront now. (Previously he was tucked upstairs above a restaurant and sold directly from there. I actually kind of liked that vibe but it wasn't terribly practical or conducive to success). He's at 118 Southwest Boulevard, which is a traditional mecca of Mexican restaurants, and in the last couple of years has added a pretty wide variety of other types of food. It's also quite near the Boulevard Brewing Company (motto: the second largest brewery in Missouri), and they do tours on Saturdays (but you need to reserve ahead). You could, theoretically, have a really nice day without ever moving your car. :smile:

M.F.K. Fisher

I haven't read the Food and Wine piece so it may mention that Christopher Elbow won first place at the Next Generation Chocolatiers Competition in New York.

Article here. It's not from the KC Star because I would've had to register just to read one article.

The article mentions a fleur de sel confection, and so does Judy. I've had a fleur de sel truffle from a St. Paul chocolatier, Chocolat Celeste, and it was wonderful. I like how the salt cuts through some of the sweetness.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

is this actually a storefront or is it purely mail-order?  (i couldn't tell from the website)  i'm thinking of a trip to KC, so this would definitely be a stop if the former.

It is a storefront, sort of deceptive though, he is sharing a space with a company called "High Cotton" which is more visible from a moving car. Moonsqrl helped me with that.

The chocolates are beautiful. The pictures only give a hint of the beauty of the different pieces.

The chocolates are wonderful. out of the 16 piece box, here is what I have eaten -

Venezuelan Dark - intense, deep flavor bittersweet

Rosemary Caramel - Nice sharp caramel flavor, not too bitter with overtones of rosemary that compliment the sweetness. sort of a "oh, is that rosemary I am tasting there"

Grand Marnier - dark chocolate with the orange liquor, not too sharp on the citrus, but a nice marriage, sort of like a chocolate grand marnier souffle without the puff.

All the rest will have to wait. I am torn between the exotic fruits with coconut and the Vietnamese Cinnamon for my next taste. Although there is the Spanish Saffron to consider. I pigged out on Fran's Fleur de Sel's after I hit Dean and Delucas in Lenexa on my first night.

Now Moonsqrl also gave me some chocolates from another KC chocoliater called Annadore's. The chocolate mint pave was pretty damn good. It will make you wish that all those Ande's mints could be that good.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Thank you for all of the nice comments....I apologize I have been so quite lately as I am working about 15-18 hours a day seven days a week to keep up with demand, all the while working on a new production facility. As soon as the holidays are over I promise I will participate more. Thank and Happy Holidays to all!

Christopher Elbow

All is forgiven -- keep doing what you do so well and we'll keep talking about (and drooling over) it. Glad to see you pop your head up, though. :wink:

M.F.K. Fisher

Thank you for all of the nice comments....I apologize I have been so quite lately as I am working about 15-18 hours a day seven days a week to keep up with demand, all the while working on a  new production facility.  As soon as the holidays are over I promise I will participate more.  Thank and Happy Holidays to all!

Christopher Elbow

Christopher,

I'm sure you are much too busy most of the time, but do you or have you ever thought of offering classes on how to make chocolates, caramels, etc.?

I would be the first to sign up if you did! :wink:

Thanks,

Katie

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

• 2 weeks later...

I just had the Rosemary Caramel! I loved it.. and the Passion fruit!

After my mom, sister, and I had lunch at Main 1924. We drove around looking for it and as we just gave up on looking , I saw it on the corner of my eye and we finally got to go see where Elbow's was located... I do have to say that the poster advertisements of the chocholates are great just like the chocolates...

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

Christopher also had a brief mention in the newest issue of cocaroma

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

christopher elbow.

thanks bringing fine chocolates to kansas city! i have yet to drop by your store and sample your fare - the spanish saffron, espresso lemon and rosemary caramel have piqued my interest.

have you any, or do you plan on making, liquor-filled chocolates?

ulterior epicure.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

u.e. - you need to get by and check it out. The flavors are interesting, intriquing and delicious. I have memories of the cinnamon and the dark chocolate and the saffron and the rosemary caramel and the fleur de sel. Oh and the raspberry. NOthing was so overpowering, a wonderful balance. And each one was like a little treasure. I am so glad that I found the shop.

u.e. - you need to get by and check it out.  The flavors are interesting, intriquing and delicious.  I have memories of the cinnamon and the dark chocolate and the saffron and the rosemary caramel and the fleur de sel.  Oh and the raspberry.  NOthing was so overpowering, a wonderful balance.  And each one was like a little treasure.  I am so glad that I found the shop.

I might just try a "drive-by" tomorrow - yes, I had forgotten about the cinnamon one! :raz: YUM!!

Ulterior Epicure

P.S. joiei, are you from New Orleans?

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Thank you for all of the nice comments....I apologize I have been so quite lately as I am working about 15-18 hours a day seven days a week to keep up with demand, all the while working on a  new production facility.  As soon as the holidays are over I promise I will participate more.  Thank and Happy Holidays to all!

Christopher Elbow

Christopher,

I'm sure you are much too busy most of the time, but do you or have you ever thought of offering classes on how to make chocolates, caramels, etc.?

Thanks,

Katie

As for the classes, I got a new building this past summer that I have been working on and hopefully it will be big enough to hold classes. We will be going from about 800 square feet to 3000 square feet, plus an additional 700 square feet for a new retail shop. Once we get up and running in that space, which should be this summer sometime, then I can start planning some classes or events. I will keep everyone here posted for sure.

Christopher

Christopher Elbow

Christopher,

Thanks,

Katie

As for the classes, I got a new building this past summer that I have been working on and hopefully it will be big enough to hold classes. We will be going from about 800 square feet to 3000 square feet, plus an additional 700 square feet for a new retail shop. Once we get up and running in that space, which should be this summer sometime, then I can start planning some classes or events. I will keep everyone here posted for sure.

Christopher

That sounds great! Thank you!

Looking forward to seeing the new space when I get back... I hope I get to try your chocolates soon, as I'm leaving the town for a few months.

Cheers - best of luck on the move and can't wait to keep up on your business!

Ulterior Epicure.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account