• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michelin Guide 2006

MSH is in a splendid setting, with a comfortable dinning room (avoid the main house and ask for the conservatory)

Am I right in thinking that, at the 2* level the establishment is not “supposed” to be judged on the surroundings, etc.? Of course, these are highly subjective anyway – exterior setting aside, we dined in the conservatory and thought MH to be provincial, predictably decorated and frankly awash with middle-class smugness (the risqué pictures in the toilet are exhaustingly canonical).

I can’t properly judge the food until I’ve at least tried a recent tasting menu offering, but my sceptical initial reaction wasn’t because I was put off by adventurousness. Sound amuses, starters good but hardly exceptional, and both mains went unfinished. A (pretty ordinary) shared tarte tatin was ludicrously oversized, then coffee was accompanied by an enormous basket of sweet, deep fried bready items (posh donuts), far too inelegant and overfacing for this stage of a large meal.

As has been noted elsewhere, some of the menu offerings are surprisingly derivative - e.g. skewering items on a plastic syringes of sauce - and I found service to be underconfident and far from relaxed, although I must admit The Square can be a little stuffy and pretentious in its way.

Experiences at The Square (still under PH, spring 05) and The Capital (more recent) were diametrically opposed to my experience at MH – both were sublime. Perhaps it just goes to show that laymen like me shouldn’t attempt to judge restaurants on too few visits...

Ian

I go to bakeries, all day long.

There's a lack of sweetness in my life...

midsummer house should lose a star afer the questionalbe lunch i had today - i was very, very unimpressed (scallops - hot on the outside, cold in the middle? watery & tastless ox tongue? hmm) will post review if i get time to write up

The Square (still under PH...)

As indeed it still is, please excuse brief moment of confusion :huh:

midsummer house should lose a star

I certainly left wondering whether michelin's inspectors are entirely consistent in their 2* expectations between London and the provinces. (notwithstanding that there may have just been a recent dip in standards... will wait till I can make another visit and a more studied judgement before reporting)

Ian

I go to bakeries, all day long.

There's a lack of sweetness in my life...

Do we know if the Great Britain & Ireland 2006 Guide will take on any of the New York's features?

I went into a French restaraunt and asked the waiter, 'Have you got frog's legs?' He said, 'Yes,' so I said, 'Well hop into the kitchen and get me a cheese sandwich.'

Tommy Cooper

Each starred restaurant in the neighborhood gets a two-page spread, with a photo of the dining room, a description, and a recipe from that restaurant. All other restaurants get 1/2 page, with the usual "phone directory" information (including e-mail and websites) and a one-paragraph write-up. The hotels are at the back of the book, in alphabetical order without regard to neighborhood.

Not 100% sure as I haven't got a copy, this quote is taken from the NY thread. Sounds like its been designed towards the american market.

I went into a French restaraunt and asked the waiter, 'Have you got frog's legs?' He said, 'Yes,' so I said, 'Well hop into the kitchen and get me a cheese sandwich.'

Tommy Cooper

It also appears that there are just 7 inspectors in the US. See this interesting post below from chef John Malik in Greenville, the Michelin US HQ, who cooked for them recently:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=78102&hl=

Wasn't Ferdinand Point the first chef to receive 3* and didn't he receive them right out of the box -- or am I wrong as usual?

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

• 1 month later...
Does anyone have the release date for the 2006 Michelin Guide?

Official date is Jan 20. Michelin will therefore be releasing results to chefs/ restaurateurs/PRs early on the 19th. Feverish gossip will fly for three days before that, most of which will be cobblers. Some, on the monkeys and typewriters principle, will turn out to be true.

My top tip: Nuneaton to be named new shining star in the gastronomic firnament when groundbreaking gastro pub , The Itchy Prosthesis, gets three stars straight off the bat.

(It's possible this holiday has been going on too long. May soon eat children, though only out of need for diversion.)

Jay

How will you prepare them? Long slow cooking, I guess except for the very young...BBQ?

Old ways are best ways -- an infinite variety will serve. . See Jonathan Swift:
I have been assured by a very knowing American of my acquaintance in

London, that a young healthy child well nursed is at a year old a most

delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted,

baked, or boiled; and I make no doubt that it will equally serve in

a fricassee or a ragout.

Edited by John Whiting (log)

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

I have been assured by a very knowing American of my acquaintance in

London, that a young healthy child well nursed is at a year old a most

delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted,

baked, or boiled; and I make no doubt that it will equally serve in

a fricassee or a ragout.

Indeed. A most modest proposal.

Edited by jayrayner (log)

Jay

I still think Goya's "Saturn Eating His Children" is one of the most impressive paintings I've seen...

I doubt there'll be anything earth-shattering in the uppermost reaches of the starry firmament this year; all the fun seems to be on the no-stars / one star threshold.

More pubs or less formal places getting stars, perhaps?

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

Does anyone have the release date for the 2006 Michelin Guide?

Feverish gossip will fly for three days before that, most of which will be cobblers. Some, on the monkeys and typewriters principle, will turn out to be true.

I've already heard that there is going to be a new 3 star (Capital or LMQS?) and a new London 2 star which will be an Italian.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

I'm trying to find the thread regarding predictions for New Year's (Michelin) honours, but cannot. So here will have to do!

I had heard good things about the Lords of the Manor in the Cotswolds a while ago, so i visited it before Christmas when i was visiting my parents in the countryside.

It was really very good, couldn't fault it at all really, only problem is that the hotel and dining room are a little twee. Could be an outside bet for a star on the 20th.

I'm pretty sure LOTM had a star in the past when one of my former head chefs was a CdP there. It has three AA rosettes, so a star might not be unexpected.

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

I'm pretty sure LOTM had a star in the past when one of my former head chefs was a CdP there.  It has three AA rosettes, so a star might not be unexpected.

Are you speaking of Lords when John Campbell was there?? Campbell has been at The Vineyard for the past 4 years or so, and has one star currently. If there is a chef that deserves 2 stars, I certainly think he is

I'm pretty sure LOTM had a star in the past when one of my former head chefs was a CdP there.  It has three AA rosettes, so a star might not be unexpected.

Are you speaking of Lords when John Campbell was there?? Campbell has been at The Vineyard for the past 4 years or so, and has one star currently. If there is a chef that deserves 2 stars, I certainly think he is

i'm pretty sure john campbell had a star at lotm, mind you he also had nathan outlaw & tony flinn in his kitchen too, not a bad brigade!

you don't win friends with salad