• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rangoli Lunch

SBonner

Helen and I decided to drop by South Granville for some shopping and stocking up of freezable Rangoli dishes for those quick late night suppers. Well it was pouring of rain when we arrived and the first whiff of exotic spice sent us straight to a table for a late lunch. It was a pleasure to see Vikram, all too briefly, in his whites enroute to the home show. Helen and I decided on a lunch of cocount curry chicken $11.50 and black cardamon lamb $12.50. Helen opted for a warm glass of chai and I went for a glass of Smoking Loon Viognier (rich malo style with a distinct banana and tropical fruit overtone) it was a great pairing with my chicken. The salad dressing was amzing, I think it is a blend of mint, citrus juice, and possibly cucumber? Round two involved a glass of Lingenfleder Bird Labeling Riesling ( one of the all round great buys with typical green apple, mineral and subtle petrol notes). Both wines are served in the uber cool Riedel overture glasses and a five oz wine pour is a reasonable $6.50. We finished off with a bowl of rice pudding (rich, creamy, and scented with cardamon).

Here's a couple of photo's taken from our camera phone...so the quality is not great.

gallery_19417_1648_1343.jpg coconut curry chicken

gallery_19417_1648_9716.jpg Black cardamon lamb

In a cardamon pod...great food, wonderfully paired and priced wine, and as usual great service.

Cheers,

Stephen and Helen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Helen and I decided to drop by South Granville for some shopping and stocking up of freezable  Rangoli dishes for those quick late night suppers. Well it was pouring of rain when we arrived and the first whiff of exotic spice sent us straight to a table for a late lunch. It was a pleasure to see Vikram, all too briefly, in his whites enroute to the home show. Helen and I decided on a lunch of cocount curry chicken $11.50 and black cardamon lamb $12.50. Helen opted for a warm glass of chai and I went for a glass of Smoking Loon Viognier (rich malo style with a distinct banana and tropical fruit overtone) it was a great pairing with my chicken. The salad dressing was amzing, I think it is a blend of mint, citrus juice, and possibly cucumber? Round two involved a glass of Lingenfleder Bird Labeling Riesling ( one of the all round great buys with typical green apple, mineral and subtle petrol notes). Both wines are served in the uber cool Riedel overture glasses and a five oz wine pour is a reasonable $6.50. We finished off with a bowl of rice pudding (rich, creamy, and scented with cardamon).

Here's a couple of photo's taken from our camera phone...so the quality is not great.

gallery_19417_1648_1343.jpg coconut curry chicken

gallery_19417_1648_9716.jpg Black cardamon lamb

In a cardamon pod...great food, wonderfully paired and priced wine, and as usual great service.

Cheers,

Stephen and Helen

Beautiful pictures, lovely descriptions. Sounds very enticing and reasonable price wise, and the wines sound devine. Thanks for posting. :smile:

In a cardamon pod :wub: too cute!

How's the pricing and sizing for freezer take-out, one time awhile ago I tried to check it out, but it was busy, hot and the wee pepper was fussy.

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

The take away/freezer package prices range between $7 and $8. Usually Helen and I can get by with one package but if we are hungary then we usually open two packages but have a bit left for one of us to eat the next day.

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

The take away/freezer package prices range between $7 and $8. Usually Helen and I can get by with one package but if we are hungary then we usually open two packages but have a bit left for  one of us to eat the next day.

Stephen

Thanks Stephen, that sounds just perfect!

ps... we :wub: W. A+ staff, quaffibles & edibles. Deserves a reco IMHO.

Edited by ~cayenne~ (log)

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

ps... we're  :wub: W.  A+ staff, quaffibles & edibles.  Deserves a reco IMHO.

OT but that is a very cryptic comment unless I'm a complete thicko...... :blink:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

How's the pricing and sizing for freezer take-out, one time awhile ago I tried to check it out, but it was busy, hot and the wee pepper was fussy.

We've done takeout from Rangoli and found that two pouches (one meat dish and one daal) will serve two moderately hungry people quite nicely, with a bit of leftovers. It usually works out to $16 or so. We skip out on buying any rice or naan - I just cook up a batch of rice at home and add some butter, salt and cumin. Cheap and cheerful :smile:

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

in case you can't make it to rangoli, and depending on where you live, capers also carries the "boil in a bag" take out pouches. i htink that they have about 6 different "flavours".

also great for camping! in style, that is :biggrin:

Quentina

• 2 months later...
The hours at Rangoli are listed as 11 am-8 pm, but the website mentions serving lunch only. Are those the hours for the market, and diner service has more limited hours? Thanks for any information; I am looking forward to trying Rangoli during an upcoming visit.

I've never been there past 4:30pm although I do believe I have seen patrons there past 5:00pm. Enjoy your visit and the food.

Stephen

MY BLOG

I've been to Rangoli for dinner (after 5:30pm) a number of times - the last time was about 2 weeks ago. I checked their website and the wording does seem to suggest that it is 'lunch items' available. I highly recommend the Portobello Mushroom and Red Bell Pepper Curry.

Edited by lemon curd (log)

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

Rangoli's menu offerings have been the same for all my visits there, be they lunch or dinner. However, unlike what's shown on their website, their menu is actually double-sided and does feature additional à-la-carte curries for eat-in service.

I've yet to sample a dish that isn't an absolute winner, and their lassis are incredibly creamy and rich.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Thank you very much for your replies. A phone call confirmed what you posted: food service during all open hours. My family had dinner at Rangoli earlier this week and absolutely loved it. It was perfect, because Vij's was closed for the holidays, and we wouldn't have taken our two-year-old there anyway. But the three of us had a wonderful dinner at Rangoli. Matthew wrote about it here: Vij's Rangoli

Hungry Monkey May 2009