• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mixed Beef & Chicken Stock

jsolomon

With the passing of the Autumnal Equinox, it is time to make soups again, which means, I need to make stock.

I have been bad, and didn't have enough poultry bones to make a poultry stock. I didn't have enough beef bones to make a beef stock.

Instead, I roasted off the poultry, and I roasted off the beef and made a mixed beef-poultry stock.

It tastes okay, but I'm not quite sure what to do with it. Is there anything really interesting to do with this kind of stock? Or am I simply in culinary purgatory (with trying to figure out what to do with it) or in Culinary Hell (having committed a horrible sin)?

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

i think you might be going to hell for other reasons than making a mixed stock.

mario batali makes a mixed stock all the time and calls it brodo. just use it like you would for a chicken or beef stock. no big deal! you'll be ok. have fun!!!!

Pot au feu springs to mind!

Whether or not you're going to hell, in my mind, depends entirely upon whether or not you're planning to sell said stock as a pure form of one or the other ingredient.

No?

Then enjoy yourself! Soup is leftovers, odds and ends, and budget-stretchers in heated and liquified form! :biggrin:

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

It'll make fantastic risotto.

No hell in your future, as far as I'm concerned.

I remember once in culinary school the hot-shit teacher's pet guy accidentally mixed a lovely duck stock with a lovely veal stock. Whoo, boy. Talk about a verbal beat-down from the chef-instructor. We were doing a luncheon for the Society of the Golden Toques.

As it turned out, the meal was wonderful and the Golden Toques chefs were very complimentary.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Hmm... I think I might make gumbo with it. Greens and ham were on sale at the grocery store.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I mix chicken and beef stock specifially for onion soup too...how about that chicken soup with the little meatballs in it...Italian wedding soup...or Progresso calls it Chickarina

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Thanks for all of your replies! For those interested, the gumbo had all manner of wonderful stuff. Homegrown peppers, onions, and tomatoes. Collard greens. Butternut squash... all manner of goodness. Thanks for letting me not feel like I was letting eG down.

The best part is, I still have 6 pints for lunches in the coming week!

It'll make fantastic risotto. 

No hell in your future, as far as I'm concerned.

I remember once in culinary school the hot-shit teacher's pet guy accidentally mixed a lovely duck stock with a lovely veal stock.  Whoo, boy.  Talk about a verbal beat-down from the chef-instructor.  We were doing a luncheon for the Society of the Golden Toques. 

As it turned out, the meal was wonderful and the Golden Toques chefs were very complimentary.

I made a risotto Sat. nite using chicken stock. My wife was snapping asparagus to steam---I took the hard stems and made a lovely vegi stock and mixed with the chicken stock---the risotto was great!!

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.