• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Tasting Party,

stefanyb

An entire week's regimen of Theraflu, endless bottled water, endless oranges and other assorted remedies wasn't enough to kick a relapsed cold that won't go away. (And its waning today, but still not gone.)

I thought that my absence (!) would benefit y'all than if I had shown up.

Oh well, better safe than sick, I always say.

I want pix, dammit. :raz:

SA

An entire week's regimen of Theraflu, endless bottled water, endless oranges and other assorted remedies wasn't enough to kick a relapsed cold that won't go away.  (And its waning today, but still not gone.)

I thought that my absence (!) would benefit y'all than if I had shown up.

Oh well, better safe than sick, I always say.

I want pix, dammit.  :raz:

SA

Get well soon. :smile:

PICTURES! I hope people will post comments on whatever they contributed...thanks to Cabrales for the beautifully composed food shots.

Jordyn's blue cheeses on the round board; behind and to the left, Liza's American goat cheeses:

fd0e0faa.jpg

Wilfrid's cheddar assortment:

fd0dfa58.jpg

Alan's potato chip tasting:

fd0e1598.jpg

Smoked fish (Maine salmon, bluefish, tuna loin, sable):

fd0df7e1.jpg

Shermar's greens, with imported tuna (from Stefany?) in the background:

fd0e13f0.jpg

fd0e13fe.jpg

Stefany's bounteous array of hams and baguettes, with Sandra's mustards:

fd0df528.jpg

fd0e15a0.jpg

fd0df7eb.jpg

Cabrales' macarons:

fd0dfa52.jpg

fd0e1898.jpg

Nina's salamis & sausages:

fd0e0fa0.jpg

Mark's salsas:

fd0e18a4.jpg

fd0e0f8e.jpg

Toby's tartes Tatins:

fd0e15b6.jpg

eGulleteers doing their thing (from left - Mark, Sandra, Stefany, Suvir, Toby, Alan):

fd0e18af.jpg

Toby, what was that delicious buttery salty goo I was tasting just before I left, which reminded me of dulce de leche?

Wilfrid, that was "caramel salt butter sauce" from Anne Willan's From My Chateau Kitchen. Maybe I'll start a thread about caramel sauces in a few days.

Mark's salsas were great. The green ones were best I thought. The Stupid Hot Salsa was HOT as H O T can be. And actually addictive. I only had 5 tastings of it... But could have actually had more. I was burning .... and yet wanted it... I guess it was the flame and I the moth:rolleyes:

Yet again, I fall beneath the radar. 

I brought a tasting of Vanilla  Ice Creams and I swear I was there. :sad:  :unsure:  :smile:

See picture above. The fellow in the striped sweater claimed to be you, anyway.

When I get a chance to post the rest of the pictures, there will be no doubt that you were there. :biggrin:

Yet again, I fall beneath the radar.  

I brought a tasting of Vanilla  Ice Creams and I swear I was there. :sad:  :unsure:  :smile:

See picture above. The fellow in the striped sweater claimed to be you, anyway.

When I get a chance to post the rest of the pictures, there will be no doubt that you were there. :biggrin:

Mine was the only offering of food that was deemed unfit to photograph. :sad: Was it too American? Are we afraid of showing the tub of Breyers? :wink:

PS: I was only kidding. The photographs are great. Thanks for taking time to post them Cathy. :smile:

Great photographs, Cathy. Thank you.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Mine was the only offering of food that was deemed unfit to photograph. :sad:   Was it too American?  Are we afraid of showing the tub of Breyers? :wink:

I TOLD you to bring that jar of curry powder. :biggrin:

Sorry.. I thought it more fashionable to offer you all a tasting or Curry Steak.:sad::rolleyes:

Guess I made a mistake.. For my Curried Steak certainly got no photographs. :shock:

Jeez, you people are demanding.    :raz:

Nina, I'll post it (and the other pix) when I get home.  It's a very sweet picture of you two.  :wub:

Only if you were as fast as you are sweet. Life would be a dream. :shock:

You are the best Cathy. Thanks for everything. You were very generous. :smile:

What a luxurious indulgence this was -- and fun, too. It should be noted that while the rest of us simply shopped, Toby actually demonstrated her skills, and impressive they are. Do not confuse her analysis with self-flagellation. These tartes tatins were all delicious, especially, for me, one of the pear tarts, but now I'm not sure which one.

I am also grateful to have been introduced to Hull cheddar, courtesy of Wilfred.

Reading through the thread, I realize that there were items I was not able to taste -- there was too much to eat. (And I was worried that we'd have order pizza!)

Apologies for taking so long to post these. I was diverted by a visit from Shermar, who came to pick up a left-behind umbrella and kindly stayed for chit-chat, Rhone, and roasted cauliflower with mayo/tomato chutney for dipping. Never underestimate the power of eGullet.

Suvir & Nina

fd0d467a.jpg

Suvir & Shermar

fd0d4590.jpg

Suvir & Cathy

fd0d4675.jpg

Maura (Toby's friend), Cathy, Toby, Stefany

fd0d1f1a.jpg

Sandra & Alan Levine

fd0d4587.jpg

Mark Stevens

fd0ce1ab.jpg

Sandra, Suvir, Vincent (Shermar's beau), Shermar, Stefany

fd0d467d.jpg

Wilfrid, Toby, Sandra

fd0d4780.jpg

Nina, Jordyn, Stefany

fd0d4785.jpg

Toby, Sandra

fd0d457b.jpg

What a luxurious indulgence this was -- and fun, too.  It should be noted that while the rest of us simply shopped, Toby actually demonstrated her skills, and impressive they are.  Do not confuse her analysis with self-flagellation.  These tartes tatins were all delicious, especially, for me, one of the pear tarts, but now I'm not sure which one. 

I am also grateful to have been introduced to Hull cheddar, courtesy of Wilfred.

Reading through the thread, I realize that there were items I was not able to taste -- there was too much to eat.  (And I was worried that we'd have order pizza!)

I have to agree with you about everything. I loved each of the Tartes Tatins... I could have simply eaten those and been a happy man for the rest of my life.... I am greedy for such heavenly desserts..... What can I say.....And I also loved the Hull Cheddar... Thanks Wilfrid.

I was also mighty impressed by Shermars brilliant efforts in preparing the greens. What a great way of doing a vertical tasting. Thanks Shermar! :smile:

And many many many thanks to Cathy for opening her home to us all. She was the perfect of all hosts.... Ms. Stewart should call upon Cathy if they need a replacement. Cathy would be Martha 1. :raz: