• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese Bakeries

chocomoo

OK, so where exactly is Michelle's? I thought it was on 41st near Arbutus but not.

I've been buying my cocktail buns at Pine Bakery on Kingsway as it is on the way to the inlaws.

They were steaming hot out of the oven yesterday with the aforementioned salty sweet taste and are my current favourite. They do stale fast though (like a Siegel's bagel), best when warm.

Bought some egg tarts as well that were so warm they were still not set in the center. I tried a Danish roll with raisins (even thought it was a straight braided stick) that was very bland and forgetable.

You can't fault the prices though.

They tasted very buttery to me...:sad:

Don't ever feed me yours, Lorna, if they're better than THAT, then I would be in mortal danger.

Maybe they are very buttery. I'm in a horrible mood today b/c I'm tired, been working too many hours, and I have HIVES all over my body--I have no idea what I'm allergic to. I could just be nitpicking for the sake of complaining. :raz: I feel like a curmudgeonly old woman. *shakes cane at the world*

Mine aren't better. They are just cheaper for me to make, than to buy a dozen from Michele's. I do them in muffin tins so they are twice the size, and I make at least 24 at a time (just so my family gets some too.) :wink:

Edited by Ling (log)

OK, so where exactly is Michelle's? I thought it was on 41st near Arbutus but not. 

It's on Arbutus, near 41st. I don't know which street exactly, but it has a green sign.

ETA: Tomorrow--Mega Bakery, here I come! :biggrin:

Edited by Ling (log)

• 2 weeks later...

I was pleasantly surprised by the black sesame cake I got from Pine House (Parker Place) last week for a company lunch. The sponge cake was quite moist (though not as moist as Mega's), although the layer of buttercream was a bit thicker than Mega's. I think Pine House tends to use more salt in their items - in their cocktail buns as Ling mentioned, and also in their buttercream. The black sesame flavour wasn't as pronounced as I would've liked though. And it was also not in "roll" form - it was a layer of black sesame sponge cake, then regular sponge cake, then another layer of black sesame on top. Looked quite pretty!

Today I had a cocktail bun from Mega for breakfast and a sushi (?) bun for lunch. Let me explain the sushi bun: sandwiched in the middle of a bun, there are 2 pieces of "sushi" (seaweed wrapped around thin slices of bread with ham in the middle, rolled up to resemble sushi) on either end of the bun, with an egg crepe between the "sushi" that's rolled up to kinda look like a flower. Maybe I'll take a picture of it next time I get it. The seaweed inevitably gets soggy though, so although I like the taste of it, I don't like the texture of it. Oh, I almost forgot to mention that they use Japanese mayonnaise in their buns :wub: Wait, actually, I'm not sure - it's not like Kewpie brand, but it's not as "eggy" as regular mayonnaise, & it's more translucent than opaque.

They have really good Chinese style buns too, though the variety is not as great. My mom & I like the vegetarian buns - they contain mung bean noodles (I can't think of the name right now - you know, those clear noodles that're like vermicelli? "fun see"?), Chinese mushrooms, cabbage, cilantro, and lots of black pepper. Hmm, I think I'll get some next time I go.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the cocktail bun from Mega today. I don't know if they've changed, but they're not giant--at least, not compared to (my favourite) Keefer Bakery. The one I had from Mega was about 1 1/2 times the size of a Pine House bun. The bread was not very soft (I bought it and ate it at 3:30pm...maybe they're fresher in the morning?) and I think the filling at Keefer is better (more buttery and saltier).

I also bought something called "Honey Cake"--it's a napoleon layered with very thin layers of moist walnut-speckled sponge cake, lightly dusted with icing sugar. Considering the price ($1.50 for a good-sized square), it's great. :smile:

Oh, and I forgot to mention another place that has good coconut buns--the bakery outside of T&T in Richmond. The cocktail buns come in an aluminum pan so you separate them at home. Pretty good, lots of filling (but still 2nd to Keefer).

I haven't been to New Town yet. Is there a Richmond location?

I haven't been to New Town yet. Is there a Richmond location?

Think it's in the same strip mall with the TD/CT Bank, Staples and the New Asia Deli, across from Richmond Centre. Give them a call though first (604 270-2889), they might not be open yet from their vacation.

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

I have to say, coconut buns used to be my stand-by but I'm kind of burnt out on them. They're either too salty or have too much or too little filling. If they made a coconut bun with the filling worked into the dough, sort of like a cinammon bun, I'd buy that. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've had something similar from T&T.

On the "plain old bread" front, I really like the T&T Pullman sandwich bread made with purple glutinous rice. Excellent mouthfeel and flavor.

I usually frequent Pine House and another bakery a few blocks west on Hastings (never can remember the name), just because they're relatively close. The filling in the rolls from Pine House are too salty, though.

Edited by sanrensho (log)
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

I have to say, coconut buns used to be my stand-by but I'm kind of burnt out on them. They're either too salty or have too much or too little filling. If they made a coconut bun with the filling worked into the dough, sort of like a cinammon bun, I'd buy that. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've had something similar from T&T.

Yup--they do have this at T&T. Nice brekkie food.

i don't know what these are called and so far, the best ones i've ever had in vancouver are in new town bakery.

they're called chinese cinnamon donuts at ntb. i grew up on them in malaysia and remembered them to be a little bit more salty/sweet than the ones here. and not as dense.

does anyone know of other bakeries that have better ones? if you know what i'm talking about? :blink:

danka!

Quentina

i don't know what these are called and so far, the best ones i've ever had in vancouver are in new town bakery.

they're called chinese cinnamon donuts at ntb.  i grew up on them in malaysia and remembered them to be a little bit more salty/sweet than the ones here.  and not as dense.

does anyone know of other bakeries that have better ones?  if you know what i'm talking about? :blink:

danka!

NTB also has really good "dai bow" (Big Buns). I like big buns :biggrin:

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

they're called chinese cinnamon donuts at ntb.  i grew up on them in malaysia and remembered them to be a little bit more salty/sweet than the ones here.  and not as dense.

does anyone know of other bakeries that have better ones?  if you know what i'm talking about? :blink:

Is it "Hum Chim Peng"? They are light doughnut buns usually filled with a salty five-spice powder mixture or red bean paste. They taste great when they're freshly fried and you dunk them into a hot cup of kopi-o or Milo! :biggrin:

I can't remember the name of the restaurant, but they have huge "hum chim peng" for breakfast at a place near Kingsway and Victoria (near the Canadian Tire).

Edited by lannie (log)

danka!

NTB also has really good "dai bow" (Big Buns). I like big buns :biggrin:

and you cannot lie :raz:

Quentina

Is it "Hum Chin Peng"? They are light doughnut buns usually filled with a salty five-spice powder mixture or red bean paste. They taste great when they're freshly fried and you dunk them into a hot cup of kopi-o or Milo! :biggrin:

I can't remember the name of the restaurant, but they have huge "hum chin peng" for breakfast at a place near Kingsway and Victoria (near the Canadian Tire).

YES!!! my chinese is so bad that i couldn't bring myself to try and call them what my bastard chinese thought it was.

it's the five spice ones that i have a weakness for.

thanks! will definitely try to look for the kingsway and victoria joint!

milo :wub:

Quentina

What's dai bow like?

It is called "Chicken Deluxe" in English, and it is a big fluffy steamed bao filled with glorious bits of chicken, egg, pork, chives, etc. that just oozes flavour. It is best eaten immediately after you exit the bakery doors. :biggrin:

FYI, New Town is actually a Filipino bakery.

YES!!!  my chinese is so bad that i couldn't bring myself to try and call them what my bastard chinese thought it was.

thanks!  will definitely try to look for the kingsway and victoria joint!

Makanmakan,

If you are in a baking/deep-frying sort of mood, you could try making Hum Chim Peng at home. Here's a recipe I found on the Net.

Hum Chim Peng

It is called "Chicken Deluxe" in English, and it is a big fluffy steamed bao filled with glorious bits of chicken, egg, pork, chives, etc. that just oozes flavour.  It is best eaten  immediately after you exit the bakery doors.  :biggrin:

Stressing the word BIG. Compared to normal "bow's" these guys are pretty heavy :wub:

I did not know that!

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I did not know that!

I heard that they had balut in the back in their Chinatown location. Now that is an egullet challenge that I would like to see someone take.

Really pleased to read about this NOT at mealtime.

Oh dear.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

YES!!!  my chinese is so bad that i couldn't bring myself to try and call them what my bastard chinese thought it was.

thanks!  will definitely try to look for the kingsway and victoria joint!

Makanmakan,

If you are in a baking/deep-frying sort of mood, you could try making Hum Chim Peng at home. Here's a recipe I found on the Net.

Hum Chim Peng

thanks lannie! not sure if i will attempt it, but i might. seems like a long process. me=impatience!

as for balut.... :unsure: i'm suddenly not very hungry.

Quentina

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday, I had a craving for Chinese baked goods so I made the mini trek to New Town Bakery. I landed up buying egg tarts, sesame balls, and the requisitie coconut buns (I had one as part of my breakfast after I nuked it in the microwave - does anybody else enjoy the pleasures of a microwaved coconut bun?)

Just thought I'd let everyone know that they're having an Anniversary Sale - 20% off from November 1st to the 15th! I'm going back today to stock up on bao.

"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."

~ Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Tara Lee

Literary and Culinary Rambles

http://literaryculinaryrambles.blogspot.com

Yeah, I microwave most of the Chinese buns. Makes the bread so soft. :smile:

I forgot to post that I went to New Town two weeks ago--I bought a selection of buns, but they didn't have any cocktail buns! The buns were good--baked a bit on the dark side, which I like. :smile: And I also bought something called an "egg crispy" or something...it was like pate choux that had been fried (but fried until crisp, so unlike a cruller) and then covered with a very light syrupy glaze.

Remember that there's also a smaller New Town on Cambie Street near the Park Theatre... saves a trek into Chinatown and the resulting parking mambo.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg