• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mooncake: Cook-off IV

Tepee

Although we have Lyle's here, I use generic golden syrup purchased from a cake supplies shop, more convenient for me. Are there any such shops in your town? Apparently, using Lyle's would result in a nice dark-colored skin. I add a tablespoon of molasses into my skin dough. Some people add dark soy sauce.

Meantime, I hope you're storing your red bean paste properly....saran wrap and in an airtight container in the fridge.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

I'm so impressed with all the efforts!...

I know I said we were going to make some pandan lotus mooncakes, but life intervened and we both got sick. We consoled ourselves with store bought ones, the moon was bright and clear and the tea was hot. I'm secretly hoping we'll still make some next weekend, when my mum is here and is an enthusiatic helper when it comes to cooking the lotus paste. (even though it will be a day late and a dollar short, homemade are just too tasty not to make).

I find Lyle's golden syrup in the sweetner section of my local "natural" food stores, and you can almost always find it in a brewing/wine making shop as well. In a pinch corn syrup will do, but you loose out on the taste.

regards,

trillium

Although we have Lyle's here, I use generic golden syrup purchased from a cake supplies shop, more convenient for me. Are there any such shops in your town? Apparently, using Lyle's would result in a nice dark-colored skin. I add a tablespoon of molasses into my skin dough. Some people add dark soy sauce.

I called up a few places, and while a couple of people had heard of Lyle's, nobody knew where to buy it. I didn't know golden syrup was a popular cake ingredient. If Jackal is correct that corn syrup can be used instead, I may just use some pancake syrup I have on the shelf. It's basically corn syrup with some flavoring and coloring. In the meantime, my homemade golden syrup (boiled to 230F) is maturing in a glass container on my cupboard shelf.

I hope you're storing your red bean paste properly....saran wrap and in an airtight container in the fridge.

Yes, but while I'm waiting for my syrup to mature, I'll want to be trying some other filling recipes. What recipe do you use for lotus seed paste? Also, have you ever made yellow mung bean paste? I did manage to make a batch of red bean paste using butter. It tasted fabulous, but did harden a bit when cooled in the fridge. Unlike the batch made with oil, there wasn't a problem with any fat pooling on the surface. It was a little bit like a red bean fudge. I'm going to try it with lard next.

Thanks, Trillium. Hope you guys are feeling better now. If you miss making the mooncakes for this full moon, there's one every month :smile: ...rooting for you.

Sheetz, I've made yellow mung bean paste for traditional buns, which is drier and not so pasty, but not for mooncakes. I'd say go for it. With all your practise this year, you'll be able to 'wow' them all with a range of mooncakes next year. Tks for reporting on your experiments with different fats.

Mooncake paste is cooked more firm and has more oil in it than paste for other pastries. I guess you could soften the lotus paste by adding a bit of water to make baos and shanghai pancakes.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Still working on perfecting those mooncakes. I've learned quite a lot from just the few batches that I've attempted.

1st attempt: Total disaster. The pastry skin was too crumbly and the filling too soft. Couldn't even remove the mooncakes from the wooden mold. When I mixed the ingredients for the pastry it seemed too sticky so I added more flour. However, after resting it was not elastic at all and broke up easily. Everything went into the garbage.

2nd attempt: Slightly better. I mixed the pastry as directed and after resting it seemed the right consistency. I used yellow mung bean paste for the filling, but it didn't have enough structure to hold up during the baking. Maybe that's why mung bean paste isn't generally used for mooncakes. The result was the mooncakes lost shape and started to collapse within minutes of placing them in the oven. The egg glaze (beaten egg, oil, water) didn't brown well either. I did finally figure out how to tap the mold in 4 directions to remove the mooncakes, however.

3rd attempt: Best so far. Used butter for the fat in the filling, so was harder to shape the mooncakes, but once the filling was brought up to almost room temperature it was easier to work with. Used egg yolk for the glaze instead of the whole egg, which browned better.

Tepee, what do you use for your glaze? Do you brush the whole the entire mooncake or just the tops?

Sheetz, I salute you for your 'never say die' attitude in your attempts. Here are my observations:

1st Attempt: The skin is not the easiest thing to handle, first time. I really enjoy the part where you tease the skin up and around the filling till everything is enclosed. Once that's done, you roll the ball in the palms of your hands till it's smooth. Flour your hand, play with the ball, flour again, till the ball is lightly dusted throughout. The moulds have to be lightly dusted too. Too much dusting and the print will not be clear. Insert the ball into the mould and press 'just enough'. Do your 4-side knocking, and it should slip out.

2nd Attempt: Mung bean paste IS also used for mooncake filling. As with other pastes, it has to be cooked not only till it leaves the sides of the pan, but till it's firm. Stick a butter knife vertically in the paste. It should not topple.

3rd Attempt: The glaze I use is 2 egg yolks with 1 or 2 tablespoons water and a tiny pinch of salt. I brush this all over. (mmmm...this makes a good facial mask).

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

• 1 year later...

Isn't anybody making mooncakes this year? One more week to go...

I'm making lotus paste (double yolk) and red beans paste mooncake tomorrow. A few days ago, we visited a traditional teochew biscuit shop...just thought I'd share with you.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

I don't have the time or energy to make mooncakes, so I bought a tin of 4. They look really fresh. The brand is Riwei. I've never seen these before.

One cake is lotus paste with egg yolk, one is 5 nuts and egg yolk, one is green tea lotus paste and egg yolk, and the fourth one is sesame paste and egg yolk.

I'll be taking them into class for my students, along with taro cake.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I don't have the time or energy to make mooncakes, so I bought a tin of 4. They look really fresh. The brand is Riwei. I've never seen these before.

One cake is lotus paste with egg yolk, one is 5 nuts and egg yolk, one is green tea lotus paste and egg yolk, and the fourth one is sesame paste and egg yolk.

Dejah -- are these mini mooncakes?

I bought a tin last year and really enjoyed them. But when I went back for more, they were all gone. Very popular, I guess. I don't have any real favorites, (except anything with nuts grabs me) so the selection was nice. I should keep away from them, because of South Beach diet, but just reading and writing about them is melting my resolve! I can taste them just thinking about them!!

Dejah -- are these mini mooncakes?

I bought a tin last year and really enjoyed them. But when I went back for more, they were all gone. Very popular, I guess. I don't have any real favorites, (except anything with nuts grabs me) so the selection was nice. I should keep away from them, because of South Beach diet, but just reading and writing about them is melting my resolve! I can taste them just thinking about them!!

Jo-mel,

No, these are full size cakes. I'll take a picture of them when I cut into them, probably before Oct 6. :wink:

I love the ones wesza sent last year - with the nuts, shark fin, etc. This will be the first time for the green tea one.

I might go back and pick up another tin with just lotus paste and double yolk for the students. There are 20 and 4 cakes just will not do! :rolleyes:

I said " :raz: " to South beach...can't do it! Too many good carb-foods to enjoy. :laugh:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Made them last year. I've finished making lotus paste and red beans traditional mooncakes. Will be making mini shanghai ones a la Jack on Thursday. If I've the time, I may make some ping pei.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Tepee mui: I really thought those were commercial mooncakes! You have such a great talent to make them look so beautiful! And the photography is wonderful!

When will you mass-produce them and put them on the market?

(okay... you have my postal address, right? :rolleyes: )

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

LOL, thanks dai gah cheh and Ah Leung Gaw.

I made the mooncakes to test out my new camera and lens :raz: From that, I think you can see what my current interest is. Happy Mooncake Festival!

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Jap427.jpg

Lantern Festival maybe over...but I just join here...

These are snowskin mooncakes with lotus paste that I made ...

Here are the chocolate snowskin mooncakes with chocolate lotus paste.

They taste like brownies...... :biggrin:

pic068.jpg

pic071.jpg

peony

thanks teepee....

the mould is made of plastic....and there is a level to push the cake out...no more banging out the dough of mooncake :rolleyes:

plus the mooncake dough doesn't stick inside the mould unlike the wooden mould.....

peony