• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good foods for freezing?

tammylc

A couple of my good friends are expecting their second baby in the middle of September. We're planning to cook up a bunch of food for them to freeze and pull out after the baby is born.

I'm looking for suggestions on foods that would freeze and thaw well, or could just go straight from the freezer to the oven. Suggestions?

Also, wrapped well and stored in a deep freeze, what's the shelf life of frozen items like this?

Thanks!

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

A couple of my good friends are expecting their second baby in the middle of September.  We're planning to cook up a bunch of food for them to freeze and pull out after the baby is born. 

I'm looking for suggestions on foods that would freeze and thaw well, or could just go straight from the freezer to the oven.  Suggestions?

Also, wrapped well and stored in a deep freeze, what's the shelf life of frozen items like this?

Thanks!

I did this for my sister when she had her baby. She asked for chocolate chip cookies--you can preform the dough and bake them off as you want them. I did some scones--also unbaked, just throw them in the oven strait from the freezer.

For real food I made chicken pot pie, and the chicken and olives from the Silver Palate book. I also made quiche--ricotta,feta, sun-dried tomato, and spinach. Baked them off first then froze them. Reheat strait from freezer covered with foil in the beginning.

Also made bolonese sauce, and gnocci. Freeze raw gnocci seperatly (by that I also mean make them and then freeze them on a cookie sheet till they get hard. Then you just put them in a ziploc after that. They won't stick together). Throw them into boiling water strait from the freezer to cook and top with hot bolonese sauce. I have an excellent recipe for butternut squash gnocci that freezes well. I usually make those for myself. Let me know if you need any recipes. Lasagna freezes well too.

Edited by chantal (log)

I've never actually frozen lasagna. Do you freeze it before or after you bake it? :blink:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I bake my lasagna first, then freeze, and heat in the oven again within a month. It might keep longer...but it has never be given the chance :raz:

Also, spring rolls freeze well, and last longer.. either cooked first (if needed in a hurry can microwave to heat, then fry to bring back the crisp) or frozen with the raw meats... then thaw and cook through

I also always have frozen cookie dough of some sort. I make the base, and freeze that so I can go back later and change my mind about what to put in it.. chocolate chips, pecans, etc

My sister goes to a type of food workshop.. not sure what to call it. They make all kinds of meals that are meant to be frozen, so you can just throw them in the oven and save time.

Here is a link to their menu.

Oh! and biscuits... unbaked, frozen.. then to oven from frozen state.

~K

Thank you as well for the conversational haitus. I generally refrain from speach during gustation. There are those who attempt both at the same time. I find it coarse and vulgar.

Big Dan Teague

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

If you use a baking dish around the same size as the big Zipper bags you can freeze in the dish....pop out the frozen food and put it in the bag, then reverse the process...back into the pan for reheating

just a thought

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association