• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sonoma Grill,  East Rutherford

ngatti

At the same time for Park and Orchard (who serves glop in my opinion) Zagat writes "Most creative" as a starter.  They are right down the street from Sonoma.  Just as close to the meadowlands. 

I've only been to Park and Orchard for lunch (once) after hearing a Manhattan based friend rave about it. I think glop just about sums it up nicely, at least for the lunch menu. It's only a five minute walk from my house but I never think to try it again (after finally trying the Village Gourmet in Rutherford again, a two minute walk from my house..... I put in the same class as P&O but at least it's moderately priced and not pretending to be anything haute.

Will havve to try Sonoma when the GF is back in town and I can justify a nice meal out.

phaelon, let's not bash P&O and the Village Gourmet specifically. let's fact it, the only good think about the dining scene in Rutherford is Mignon and the Korean place.

...waiting for abuse... :biggrin:

Edited by tommy (log)

Unfortunately, abuse is becoming a fairly frequent way of expressing disagreement on eGullet. There was a time when an opinion about a restaurant would be met with a different experience, such as an informed and reasonable description.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Unfortunately, abuse is becoming a fairly frequent way of expressing disagreement on eGullet. There was a time when an opinion about a restaurant would be met with a different experience, such as an informed and reasonable description.

yeah, back in the day we'd talk about food and restaurants without having a discussion about objectivity or who was "right." :blink::wink:

Rail Paul--have you been to Sonoma Grill?  If so tell us your opinion. Thanks.

Not lately, so my comment would lack objectivity.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

To: phaelon56

Sonoma Grill & for that matter P&O are in East Rutherford.

Just a FYI

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,

Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --- Homer

Had lunch today with friend at Sonoma Grill

Todays Specials read as follows;

First Course

Asian Barley Soup, barley, blend of Chicken and Duck stock, Bok choy, shitacki mushrooms, and etumame (not sure of spelling). $6.00

Main Course

Scallop Risotto, with corn, napa cabbage, and roasted beets. $15.00

Pan-Roasted Black Grouper Filet, jasmine rice, snow peas & roasted poblano sauce. $18.00

Chilled (Grilled) Duck & Soba Noodle Salad, with sesame-soy-garlic sauce & baby spinach. $12.00

Dessert

Chocolate Espresso Mousse Profiteroles, jamaican rum ice cream & raspberry coulis $7.00

I had the grouper. A first, while I like jasmine rice I felt the rice needed some enhancement. It alone was wonderfully fragrant but was lacking enough flavor. But when I took a piece of the fish, crispy skin, and dipped some poblano sauce along with the rice I knew I was wrong. The snow peas were perfectly cooked crsip. This light dish was very enjoyable.

As noted previously lunch comes with a free salad . Todays vinaigrette was blended perfectly by the way. A basket of crusty bread, focacchia, corn muffins, spicy jelly, herbed/spiced butter, and olive oil.

I ate too much focacchia so could not finish my desert. For desert I picked from the menu Warm Pecan Tart w/ vanilla Bean ice cream. It came atop a beautiful solid green plate dressed with mint, strawberrys, and a pansy flower. Going to eat the balance after dinner.

Another winning meal at Sonoma Grill. Thanks Peter and Stavros Angelakos!!

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

My experience has been that it is reasonable.

Zagats says it is reasonable. I have not looked at it for a while

At lunch I usually have wine by the glass.

• 3 weeks later...

I love being called "you people".

Viejo :laugh:

Had lunch at Sonoma Grill on Friday - was my first visit since Foys departure...my experiance was top notch...started with a crab Louis salad which was very well done...a generous portion of lump meat served on a bed of arugula and avocado with a tasty passionfruit dressing - great Spring/Summer dish...I then had the tenderloin tip sandwich which also was very good - tender tips cooked perfectly covered in sauteed onions on a portugese roll served with a side of sweet potato fries which are awesome! If Peter or anyone with knowledge would be kind enough to offer what the ketchup(which I assume to be homemade) consists of I would be very interested - it is so good it almost dosent need to top anything! Also bread acoompanied by extra virgin olive oil, jalapeno jelly and herb butter started the meal. Had a Covey Run merlot as well...in my opinion a great choice for a house merlot out of Washington. Overall a very pleasant experiance and I look forward to a return for dinner in the near future.

Edited by RockADS21 (log)

A.D.S.

Rock

Now you should try the "GLOP" up the street for a comparison.

Viejo

The place "you people" have figured out!

Or, maybe "Glop you!" is a college??

Viejo

Rock

Now you should try the "GLOP" up the street for a comparison.

Viejo

Actually I went the other way down the street for an Amstel Light at the fine beverage establishment behind the Meadowlands Diner. :blink:

A.D.S.

Actually I went the other way down the street for an Amstel Light at the fine beverage establishment behind the Meadowlands Diner. 

Ahh....that place. Beers are pretty expensive, but what a great view! :wink: