• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I need some giant cookies

CaliPoutine

Hi all,

Im hoping someone can help. I was just hired to make 12 dozen cookies for an event ( The restaurant hired me). They requested 2 "regular" kinds and 2 someone " different" kinds. The owner suggested something with macadamia nut 's, but I informed him that mac nuts are really expensive. So, those are out.

Does anyone have any really good recipes? I have to make large cookies and I have already picked out Martha stewarts kitchen sink cookies.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Our two most requested cookies for parties are Chocolate Chunk/Toasted Pecan

(toast the pecan bits in a little butter before making the cookies---they never seem to get toasty enough just in the few minutes of baking time) and the same cookie dough with chopped Macadamias or Cashews, White Chocolate Chunks and dried cherries or cranberries---(you'd be surprised at how much you can do with four ounces of Macadamias, chopped coarsely, and you can find cans of broken Cashew halves, for about half the price of regular).

You can even use the exact recipe on the Tollhouse package, just put in lots of other goodies.

We still cater a few parties for friends, and seem to see the same crowd of guests over and over. They take offense if we HAVEN'T been asked to make cookies, so we always make up a batch of each as a gift to the party. And several of the folks go help themselves to the hosts' Saran wrap or baggies to take some home; one woman whipped a baggie out of her purse last time, saying she came prepared. :blink:

Im hoping someone can help.  I was just hired to make 12 dozen cookies for an event ( The restaurant hired me). 

Yay! Congrats on the job.

Ummm... I don't have any really great cookie suggestions :blink: ... although, if you have the Martha Stewart Holiday Cookie Magazine from a few years ago there are a few goods ones in there.

I like a good, chewy chocolate cookie and you can add things like crystalized ginger or different types of chips or dried fruit. How about peanut butter cookies? Or oatmeal? We used to make a 'cowboy' cookie that had oatmeal raisins and chocolate chips... but you could put anything in them.

If you don't have the magazine, let me know and I'll try to find it at work tomorrow.

Here's a recipe I love. You'll have to double or quadruple it because it only yields about 9 big cookies.....but they're huge and really good. Let me know what you think if you make them. It's a recipe I've been playing with -- a combination of a few others I like.

Super Gigantic Ginger Cookies

1 cup granulated sugar

1 large egg

3/4 cup shortening -- butter flavored, melted and cooled

1/4 cup molasses

2 cups flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon cocoa

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon cloves, ground

1/2 teaspoon ginger

1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 tablespoon finely chopped crystallized ginger

Crystal sugar (optional)

In a large bowl, beat sugar and egg on high speed of electric mixer until

light. Reduce mixer speed to low and mix in melted shortening and

molasses.

In a separate bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking soda, cocoa,

cinnamon, cloves, ginger, pepper and crystallized ginger.

By hand, stir flour mixture into sugar mixture until thoroughly combined.

Using a 1/3 cup measure, scoop dough onto a dish. Place dish with dough

scoops in refrigerator and chill thoroughly for at least 3 hours. To

hasten the process, you may chill dough in freezer for 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment.

Dip dough balls in crystal sugar (if using) and place sugar side up on

parchment. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Let cool for 2-3 minutes on cookie

sheet.

Here's a recipe I love.  You'll have to double or quadruple it because it only yields about 9 big cookies.....but they're huge and really good.  Let me know what you think if you make them.  It's a recipe I've been playing with -- a combination of a few others I like.

Super Gigantic Ginger Cookies

1                cup  granulated sugar

1              large  egg

3/4          cup  shortening -- butter flavored, melted and cooled

1/4          cup  molasses

2              cups  flour

1/2      teaspoon  salt

1/2      teaspoon  baking soda

1/2      teaspoon  cocoa

1          teaspoon  cinnamon

1/2      teaspoon  cloves, ground

1/2      teaspoon  ginger

1/8      teaspoon  cayenne pepper

1        tablespoon  finely chopped crystallized ginger

Crystal sugar (optional)

In a large bowl, beat sugar and egg on high speed of electric mixer until

light.  Reduce mixer speed to low and mix in melted shortening and

molasses.

In a separate bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking soda, cocoa,

cinnamon, cloves, ginger, pepper and crystallized ginger.

By hand, stir flour mixture into sugar mixture until thoroughly combined.

Using a 1/3 cup measure, scoop dough onto a dish.  Place dish with dough

scoops in refrigerator and chill thoroughly for at least 3 hours.  To

hasten the process, you may chill dough in freezer for 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Line a cookie sheet with parchment. 

Dip dough balls in crystal sugar (if using) and place sugar side up on

parchment.  Bake for 18-20 minutes.  Let cool for 2-3 minutes on cookie

sheet.

Thanks Claire,

Im loathe to use shortening in baked goods, I dont like the mouthfeel it provides. Have you tried to use butter instead?

Thanks Claire,

Im loathe to use shortening in baked goods, I dont like the mouthfeel it provides.  Have you tried to use butter instead?

I think the recipe would taste great with butter, but the cookies would be flatter. As written, they're fat and puffy -- chewy on the outside and soft on the inside. I think with butter they'd be big and chewy.....which might be a good thing. If you use all butter and chill the already-scooped dough mounds thoroughly, the cookies will probably stay pretty high.

Hi all,

thanks for the help.

I picked kitchen sink cookies( martha stewart), double chocolate( nestle cookie recipe), and claire's ginger cookies( Im making them in the restaurant so Im going to use the shortening) and I need one more.

Im thinking peanut butter.

I want a big, soft pb cookie,

What do you have?

Here's a recipe for Chocolate Gobs from the Soho Charcuterie. Originally the recipe was adapted from Maida Heatter....

Chocolate Gobs

2 oz unsweetened chocolate

6 oz semisweet chocolate

3 oz unsalted butter

1/4 upc sifted all purpose flour

1/4 tsp double acting baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

2 eggs

3/4 cup granulated white sugar

2 tsp espresso powder (or powdered instant coffee)

2 tsp vanilla

6 oz semisweet choc chips (or chunks)

4 oz walnuts broken in large pieces

4 oz toasted pecans broken in large pieces

Melt unsweetened choc, semisweet choc and butter over low heat; stir until melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt (I just use a whisk to blend it all together). In the bowl of a standing mixer, beat the eggs, sugar, coffee and vanilla at high speed for 1-2 mins; then beat in on low speed the melted choc and butter (which can still be warm but not hot when you add it) mixture and then add the sifted dry ingredients and beat just to mix. Scrape the sides of the bowl as often as necessary as you are adding ingredients. Stir in the chips and nuts.

Line pans with parchment or a silpat. Use a 1/4 cup or 1/3 cup measure to scoop out cookies but do not flatten the tops - the dough is gooey so if you want to spray the measuring cup, go ahead, but you still might need a spatula to push the dough out of the cup. Bake at 350 for 16-17 mins. The surface of the cookies will be dry, but the insides still soft. You'll get about 15-18 cookies depending on the size of the measuring cup.

Sometimes I liketo sub in half white choc chips for the dark chips. I don't like walnuts so I use all pecans.

Enjoy!

Edited to insert "remove from heat" after melting the choc and butter

Edited by JeanneCake (log)

Toffee Chip cookies -- yum! If you can still find the Hershey's Skor Toffee chips, the recipe is on the back. If not, use any recipe for a basic chocolate chip type cookie and, instead of chips or nuts, add the toffee chips. You can make them as big or small as you like.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Here's a recipe for Chocolate Gobs from the Soho Charcuterie. Originally the recipe was adapted from  Maida Heatter....

Chocolate Gobs

Hey, those sound great!! The Soho Charcuterie is the source of my favorite brownie recipe and this cookie recipe looks similar to those brownies but in cookie form. Thanks again!

I haven't made the cookies yet-they are high on my list of things to try(once I get through my dd's first communion on sunday). The poster's recipes are highly praised on the chef2chef site so I'm sure they are good(I like that they use honey and some whole wheat flour)

Sandra

Don't forget to have at least one non-chocolate option. I know most of the cookies mentioned here have chocolate in them. Take pity on those of us who are allergic to chocolate. Cookies are one of my most favorite things, and it always saddens me when the only cookies available are chocolate chip.

Good luck cooking all those cookies.

These Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies always get rave reviews. They do have some shortening but I don't think it adversely effects the recipe. They are crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside. People don't usually notice the oatmeal although it gives a great texture, they just think I used crunchy peanut butter. I've only made these as large as 2 oz so I don't know for sure how they'll turn out if made larger but they should be fine.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Im thinking peanut butter.

Although a bit more than a big soft PB cookie, I think these sound divine. :smile:

Di

Those sound great, however I cant find the mini pb cups here in Canada.

Just use the regular sized ones then, only not so many. I'm shopping myself for them this afternoon. :rolleyes:

Di

I was nervous about baking with the shortening( I never do) so I decided to test. I baked the giant ginger cookies from Sandra and I also baked Maida Heatter's sour cream ginger( with glaze). Maida's are made with all butter.

Im very surprised but we actually prefered the shortening cookies. They had a more pronounced ginger flavor and spread out a bit more.

I'll bring both cookies for the owner to sample and see what he thinks.

Thanks a lot!!

PB Awesome Blowouts (recipe link above) fresh from the oven...

gallery_17596_384_34221.jpg

gallery_17596_384_5188.jpg

Using a 2 oz. scoop, the recipe yields 19 big, fat cookies plus a little extra dough to nibble on. :rolleyes: Oh -- and I added one extra egg.

These are probably one of the best cookies I've had in a long time... their name sez it all (more so than my photography).

Di

Edited by DiH (log)