• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

4th eGullet Dinner - Thai

=Mark

Am thinking of doing a Thai meal at Mie Thai, Woodbridge in the next couple months.  I'm figuring around the end of June.  Mie Thai is BYO and is easily accessible from the Parkway, and is located right next to the Train Station.

One possibility is a late lunch on a Sunday, then we could retire to the outdoor deck at J.J. Bitting Brewing Company, a brewpub across the street, and watch the trains go by.  That or we could just do the standard eGullet Sunday dinner.

Just floating a few ideas to gauge the interest in such an event...

Check out the Mie Thai Homepage

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Luckily the traffic would be mostly Northbound.  I'll probably blaze right up on the train...

=Mark

Luckily the traffic would be mostly Northbound.  I'll probably blaze right up on the train...

lucky for whom?

For all the people coming southbound...

=Mark

...watch the trains go by...

sounds good, and with a beer, to boot. Late June's a problem for me, mid-July is better.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

tommy, you used to live in NYC, didn't you? As someone who grew up in NJ you get used to traveling the Parkway/Turnpike whenever. It is a cliche I resent out of state-ers using, but the "What exit are you?" joke is really a truism. If you are so concerned about the driving, we could carpool to the restaurant.

Mark, pick a date/time and stick to it. I think it sounds great, but you can't please everyone all the time. The only other place I suggest you compare dates with is the NY forum, cause you wouldn't want to have it on the same date as on NYC event. And you don't want to have it the same weekend as a holiday (like July 7th). As for me the last two weekends in June and July are both free right now.

tommy, you used to live in NYC, didn't you? As someone who grew up in NJ you get used to traveling the Parkway/Turnpike whenever. It is a cliche I resent out of state-ers using, but the "What exit are you?" joke is really a truism. If you are so concerned about the driving, we could carpool to the restaurant.

never lived in NYC.  grew up "down the shore".  i have no concerns about driving.

I wanted to add a Thank You to Mark for planning the next dinner. I will be crazed this summer with work about to begin on our kitchen (finally!) in about three weeks so I really appreciate his initiative. If anyone would like to plan a dinner I think it is a great idea, it isn't that difficult and it is fun too. We have found an early Sunday dinner to be the best time, although lunch would be welcome too, but of course, if you are planning it, you may set whatever parameters you’d like. You can completely arrange the menu and price ahead of time or, if the restaurant prefers, have everyone order from the menu and split the bill at the end (be sure to post an estimated cost). Also, BYOB places are preferred, but not required. And be sure to post if the place doesn’t have a no smoking area. Feel free to email me for help or advise.

Mark,

I would like to attend, there are lots of weddings and graduations on my calander, but if its at all possible, I'll be there.  Thanks for planning it.

Kim

Well, I called Mie Thai and they no longer do Lunch on the weekend, so it looks like it will be dinner.  I'm shooting for June 30 at 5pm.  Let me know who is interested.

=Mark

I will get in touch with the owner and try to arrange a similar setup as was done at the previous eGullet meals.  Since most of the dishes except for the soups are served family style already, this should not be a problem.  The only quandry I can think of is how to determine the proper level of heat and spice.  I know my preferance would blow some folks away.  Do we go totally mild or somewhere in the middle?

=Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Well...

Our probable attendance has now gone from a "definitely not" to a "big maybe."

You see, I was laid off from my job on Friday, so I'm (needless to say) actively job hunting.  (Rosie, you night want to take my work address of your mailing list.)

IF we can swing it financially, we'll take off on our vacation as scheduled on June 21st, returning on July 3rd.  (Eventual desitnation is St. Paul, MN and we've got a reservation at Charlie Trotter's in Chicago for the day after we leave home.)  If we can't leave town, we'll join you folks at Mie Thai.

We'll keep you posted...

Just want to remind folks that our eGullet Thai meal is scheduled for 30 June at Mie Thai restaurant in Woodbridge.  We expect to have a wide selection of appetizers and entrees to try ranging from mild to spicy.  Check off your calendars and let me know if you are interested in attending

Menu and directions can be found at the Mie Thai Homepage by Clicking Here.

=Mark