• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

4th eGullet Dinner - Thai

=Mark

Mark, I got a request via email for directions using mass transit. You seem to know the system pretty well, could you post bus/train info here?

The NJ Transit schedule from NYC/Newark can be viewed by Clickifying Here.

Bus schedules are here.

=Mark

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Do you have a menu worked out?

Just a reminder, the 4th egullet NJ Dinner at Mie Thai in Woodbridge is 2 weeks from today, on June 30 at 5pm.

We have decided to work out this meal in a similar fashion to the dinner we had at Bella Rosa, and have appetizers brought out family style so that folks can try portions of all of them.  Which appetizers we select will in part be a function of how many folks plan to attend, the more the merrier!  With this in mind it would help us if folks let us know as soon as possible if they intend to attend, and if guests will be coming.

After the appetizers, we will be ordering soups and entrees off the menu.  The Menu can be seen by clicking here. This will allow guests to choose their desired level of heat.  Jason can attest that since the staff at Mie Thai understood what I meant when I order food hot, that they are ready and willing to comply...  :wow:

fire.giffire.giffire.giffire.giffire.gif

Following the entrees will be a selection of fruit sorbets to cool the palate.

We have worked out a fixed price with the restaurant of $30, which includes all the above as well as soft drinks.  Mie Thai is a BYO establishment so wine or beer can be brought along by anyone who wishes to imbibe.

The restaurant is literally in the shadow of Woodbridge Train Station so folks from NYC just need to jump on the NJ Transit North Coast Line at Penn Station and ride it down to Woodbridge.  NJ Transit Sunday Schedule from NYC can be viewed by Clicking Here.

OK, so let's do it!  Drop me a line if you plan on joining us.

=Mark

Train #7257/4757 (what's with the two numbers?) leaves NY at 4:24 PM and arrives in Woodbridge at 5:05 PM.

OK, the NJ eGullet Thai Dinner has been officially rescheduled to June 30th at 5:10pm.

:wink:

=Mark

=Mark what happens if everyone orders the same main?

Then it's pretty likely that they will all be served the same dish.

Knowing this group it seems unlikely tho...

=Mark

Train #7257/4757 (what's with the two numbers?) leaves NY at 4:24 PM and arrives in Woodbridge at 5:05 PM.

The electric powered train originates at Penn Station NY and runs through to the end of electrified territory at Long Branch. A connecting train (4xxx) carries passengers farther down the Coast Line to Spring Lake, Manasquan, Point Pleasant, and Bay Head.

Trains which originate in Newark often run thru to Bay Head, without a change of equipment.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Rosie -

yes (Dee and I would like to go) and yes (I'd be happy to drive, thanks for the offer).  I'll PM you with suggestions

Paul

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

=Mark--Are we sharing?  I want to share.

Not a problem.  Even the entrees ordered from the menu come out on separate platters so even that is essentially served family style.  The only problem I can see is that I normally order my stuff hotter than most folks like.  This happened with the Perlows and I, as Rachel got shut out of tasting several of the dishes as Jason and I ordered them HOT.

=Mark

Me too! Those guys are masochistic fools! IMHO.

Actually it was interesting to note their different reactions to the heat. Jason sweats & sniffles, but loves it the whole time. Mark just eats the food with a little smile, like he's really grooving to the heat. And their food was, to me, inedibly hot.

I think the apps will be mild & medium - their mussels were excellent. Totally different to those had at Wondee's or Bangkok Garden. New Zealand ones, served on the half shell with a thicker, sweetish sauce. We had it HOT, so I only had one with sauce. I'm looking forward to getting to enjoy the sauce. Their soups were really good too. The Moo Ping wasn't as interesting as the dish available at Wondee's, but it wasn't bad either.

I enjoyed the piece of duck I snagged off Mark's platter before it got drenched in the hot curry. It was perfectly done & crispy. So, I'll probably order one of their duck dishes.

We have finally decided to go on vacation after all, in spite of the current job (or lack thereof) and medical situation.  (The doc felt that while I'm not working, it would be a good time to see how well my body could tolerate an extra 100mg of "stuff" a day.  Just when I thought I had finally learned to work around this fatigue...)

Therefore, we'll be in the midwest on June 30th.  We'll look forward to reading all about the dinner!

Hopefully, once our respective job situations have been resolved, we'll finally have a chance to try out Mie Thai.

Have fun!

So, so far we have recent confirmations from

Jason & Rachel

Rosie and Lowell

Rail Paul & Dee

Me and a Guest

Nina

Alan and Sandy

KimWB and Guest?

Paul Brodsky (pbrodsky) and Michael Folan

Am I missing anyone?  KimWB? Helena? Cabrales?  Ferris Bueller?  Anyone?  

:raz:

=Mark

I think Kim said she was coming and so is John L. Also, Peter B said he would be coming.

Yes, but confirmations would make it easier to coordinate as these things tend to be rather fluid as peoples plans and priorities change.  C'mon folks!  You know where your priorities are!  :wink:

=Mark

Yes, I'm coming! Not sure if I'm bringing a guest, though.

Sorry I didn"t  reply sooner, its these graduations. Do you know they are having "moving up" ceremonies for sixth grade..I mean, c'mon, he's going to the Jr. High on the other side of the football field!!  I can understand HS ( which I graduated one from this year),a nd even 8th grade, ( which I have another one graduating from this year) but Sixth is too much!  Maybe they did it just so their would be harmony in my family, so everyone can get a present.