• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to get mint juleps in NY

Pan

I read a recipe for making mint juleps in Zilla's blog. I won't be making them myself, but could you direct me to a bar that'll make 'em like that? Will it cost me an arm and a leg? Please let me know.

Michael aka "Pan"

A mint julep is a fairly labor-intensive drink unless the bar keeps finely crushed ice on hand (which most don't). You're unlikely to find one for under $10 (most cocktails are selling for $10 or more in NYC anyway).

--

Does anyone in NYC really make the real deal though? It's hard enough to find a decent Mojito, let alone a real Mint Julep. I've never had a drinkable one in NYC. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever had a good one other than at a private party or at a few clubs in the deep South. They are time consuming to make, require expensive tumblers ($50 to 500+ a pop depending on whether they're silver plated or sterling), and copious amounts of fresh mint on hand. However, an authentic Mint Julep is a thing of beauty if you can find it. My guess is that only a place like Milk and Honey would take the trouble. Damn, now I'm craving one!

Pan, can't say I've ever had a great Mojito in NYC either. I used to head down to Elizabeth St. to get decent ones at a place called Rialto. I went down there for the first time in a year or so last week and had only a passable Mojito at best. Still made with lots of mint, but way too sweet (as are most Mojitos in the USA).

I hate to say it, but the best cocktails I've had in NYC (other than no brainers like scotch and soda) have been at places like Daniel and Bemmelman's Bar. They charge obscene prices, but can deliver a decent mixed drink when required.

Felonius, I'd love to know where you've found the best mojitos in New York, too. Here's a thread about mojitos in New York.

Had a Derby party Saturday and made authentic Mint Juleps. Made the simple syrup the night before. Used the attachment on the meat grinder to crush the ice and then bagged it in the freezer. Slightly crushed the mint and had some whole leaves for garnish. Used Maker's Mark Bourbon, instead of Beam's mash. Bought a dozen silver-plated tumblers several years ago.

Terrific, but most people stopped after one.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Blue Smoke makes a good one.

Did you try it out at the Blue Smoke Michael?

I love a good mint julep but it is too time consuming to make for a casual after work drink.

I'd be interested in hearing your impressions.

There is a bar in Brooklyn called Commonwealth -- they made a mean julep over the weekend. I think they were 6 bucks. The owner is from Kentucky and has a pretty impressive bourbon selection.

They were pretty awesome. I regretted them the next day though. :wacko:

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Commonwealth

497 5 Av, Brooklyn, NY 11215

(718) 768-2040

I'm trying to figure out if there's a nearby subway stop.

No, Dana, I haven't gone out for a mint julep yet, too busy with other stuff. This thread is topical to Derby day, but for me, it's for future reference.

Michael aka "Pan"

Terrific, but most people stopped after one.

How anyone could stop after a good mint julep is beyond me. I'm not alone in this sentiment, evidenced by the song "One Mint Julep". If you don't know who did the song, I rest my case.....

Edited by Felonius (log)

No, Dana, I haven't gone out for a mint julep yet, too busy with other stuff. This thread is topical to Derby day, but for me, it's for future reference.

Glad you thought of it. Its a great idea for a reference.

There is a bar in Brooklyn called Commonwealth -- they made a mean julep over the weekend.  I think they were 6 bucks.   The owner is from Kentucky and has a pretty impressive bourbon selection.

They were pretty awesome.  I regretted them the next day though.   :wacko:

You always regret mint juleps in the morning. :biggrin:

That's a good recommendation. Was this a one time special or can we reasonably expect to get one here during mint season?

Edited by DanaT (log)

Had a Derby party Saturday and made authentic Mint Juleps. Made the simple syrup the night before. Used the attachment on the meat grinder to crush the ice and then bagged it in the freezer. Slightly crushed the mint and had some whole leaves for garnish. Used Maker's Mark Bourbon, instead of Beam's mash. Bought a dozen silver-plated tumblers several years ago.

Rich: you get a gold star for getting the ice, the cups, the bourbon, the syrup, everything exactly right.

The silver cups are the part most people skip (understandably - they're a pretty expensive investment). But they add soooo much to the whole julep experience.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Rich: you get a gold star for getting the ice, the cups, the bourbon, the syrup, everything exactly right.

The silver cups are the part most people skip (understandably - they're a pretty expensive investment). But they add soooo much to the whole julep experience.

As a Thoroughbed owner (with the life-long dream of getting a horse to the Derby), I always try to do my best to get the Juleps just right. I attended four Derbies when I worked for ABC Sports and never had a better time in my life than during those four Derby weeks. It was fun making a dinner reservation at 1:00 a.m.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!