• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Hearth Kit for Home Ovens

Jeff L

I saw a ceramic hearth kit featured today on HGTV from the Hearth Kitchen Company (http://www.hearthkitchen.com/) and it promises to yield an exceptional roast chicken, pork, etc. Even mentions superior bake at home pizzas.

I was curious to see if anyone has one or knows someone who has one before purchasing at $199.00! It's a pretty straightforward oven insert and seems to make sense.

Any comments welcome.

I saw a ceramic hearth kit featured today on HGTV from the Hearth Kitchen Company (http://www.hearthkitchen.com/) and it promises to yield an exceptional roast chicken, pork, etc. Even mentions superior bake at home pizzas.

I was curious to see if anyone has one or knows someone who has one before purchasing at $199.00! It's a pretty straightforward oven insert and seems to make sense.

Any comments welcome.

I use mine extensively (got it when it first came out) for baking breads and pizza. It can be a bit cumbersome if you leave the insert in the oven when cooking other foods (ie using the rack for broiling may be too low). I decided to remove mine when I am not using it which is a delicate task as it can be fragile and it is sure heavy! I truly think that if you go get quarry tiles at home depot you can get the same effect for pennies, particularly if you put some tiling standing up on the sides of your oven (making it shaped like a "u").

I have noticed very much improved oven spring with my loaves using it but it is expensive and there are other options. If you are not much of a bread baker, I wouldnt invest in it. There is talk of a steam injected model one day - now THAT would be great.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

I use mine extensively (got it when it first came out) for baking breads and pizza.  It can be a bit cumbersome if you leave the insert in the oven when cooking other foods (ie using the rack for broiling may be too low).  I decided to remove mine when I am not using it which is a delicate task as it can be fragile and it is sure heavy!  I truly think that if you go get quarry tiles at home depot you can get the same effect for pennies, particularly if you put some tiling standing up on the sides of your oven (making it shaped like a "u"). 

I have noticed very much improved oven spring with my loaves using it but it is expensive and there are other options.  If you are not much of a bread baker, I wouldnt invest in it.  There is talk of a steam injected model one day - now THAT would be great.

Evan

Thanks Evan. I don't bake breads but do like fresh homemade pizza. I use a pizza stone which is ok but the ceramic insert seems to make more sense. Have you roasted anything in yours, and if so how was the result?

As far as leaving it in, we have a double oven and don't often use the bottom one so no problem there.

BTW do quarry tiles come in all sizes and do you really think I'd get the same effect?

Thanks Evan. I don't bake breads but do like fresh homemade pizza. I use a pizza stone which is ok but the ceramic insert seems to make more sense. Have you roasted anything in yours, and if so how was the result?

As far as leaving it in, we have a double oven and don't often use the bottom one so no problem there.

BTW do quarry tiles come in all sizes and do you really think I'd get the same effect?

Yes I roast and I dont see a huge difference although some may disagree. The difference for bread is noticeable. Now if you are only making pizza, then it is DEFINITELY a waste of money as the purpose of the hearthkit is to provide radiating heat from three sides rather than just the bottom. Pizza needs only intense heat from below. The tiles just need to be bigger than your pizza and I presume they come in differing sizes. My first set of tiles were 6" oven tiles from Fante's (not as cheap as home depot but still only 30 clams and far less than the hearthkit).

I would suggest not getting the Kit for pizza. The most important thing for pizza is to crank up your oven as high as it can go and put your dough straight on a tiled floor. I built a wood burning oven in the backyard in an effort to get it into the 700 degree range. This year I hope to finish it but I have that male "finish 4/5th and move to another project" gene.

Good luck!

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

I had one when they were first introduced but that was in my old oven. The oven I have now is too large for it to fit into properly so I gave it away with the old oven.

It was okay for breads and even for roasts as it maintained a constant heat in the oven.

However it had to come out when I needed extra space in the oven and I could have gotten along just fine without it.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I've not used that product, but have used Julia Child's tile method both for bread and pizza, and found it to be an excellent and inexpensive solution  :smile:

Could you explain what Julia Child's tile method is? What type of tiles and how is it assembled in the oven?

(I just saw the link to her method, thanks!)

Edited by Jeff L (log)

You can get the tiles cut to the size of your oven rack at your local tile store. Once in a while they break when cleaning but they're so cheap that it's no big deal. I've used the Julia Child method for baking bread for years and it's the best. I find that even if I don't always create the steam, having the tiles and spraying bread with a fine mist of water several times at the beginning of the baking gives you a great product. If you do that, you won't need the expensive hearth oven.

jb

You can get the tiles cut to the size of your oven rack at your local tile store.  Once in a while they break when cleaning but they're so cheap that it's no big deal.  I've used the Julia Child method for baking bread for years and it's the best.  I find that even if I don't always create the steam, having the tiles and spraying bread with a fine mist of water several times at the beginning of the baking gives you a great product.  If you do that, you won't need the expensive hearth oven. 

jb

Thanks, when I went to the Julia Childs link, it was just a summary of the method with no detail. What type tile specifically and do you line the top rack as well as the bottom to create a hearth effect??

I have a two-oven kitchen and keep the hearth-kit in one of the ovens all the time. It is fantastic for more than bread and pizza: I use it for a simple roast chicken and for gratin.

Edited by Wolfert (log)

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

I would suggest not getting the Kit for pizza.  The most important thing for pizza is to crank up your oven as high as it can go and put your dough straight on a tiled floor.  I built a wood burning oven in the backyard in an effort to get it into the 700 degree range.  This year I hope to finish it but I have that male "finish 4/5th and move to another project" gene.

Good luck!

Evan

I also have a two-oven kitchen and have the Hearthkit in one of the ovens. I got it specifically for pizzas and pies and I am very happy with it. My oven goes to 500 degrees. Of course, 700 is better and I envy anyone with those capabilities, but I'm sure most of us are not getting an outside oven. Also, my oven is electric and I can't put tiles on its floor.

In my GE oven it takes a good hour to heat up, but that is what the pizza mavens recommend anyway, even without the insert. The pizzas have turned out really well and the bottom crusts of my pies are always cooked through and crispy :smile:.

I have also used a pizza stone in the past and I think that's a good budget option and, of course, easier to take out if you only have one oven.

And one more thing. As you use the hearth or stone or tiles they will get darkened and that will make them even better heat conductors.