• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dutch Ovens

JennyUptown

While the non-LC may be quite serviceable for many years, it will not have LC's wonderful lifetime guarantee (your lifetime, your children's lifetime, and probably their children's as well) which I have personally tested.

Just to be fair, I think most manufacturers (Calphalon included) offer a lifetime warranty for their serious cookware.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

While the non-LC may be quite serviceable for many years, it will not have LC's wonderful lifetime guarantee (your lifetime, your children's lifetime, and probably their children's as well) which I have personally tested.

Just to be fair, I think most manufacturers (Calphalon included) offer a lifetime warranty for their serious cookware.

You're right, and I think AC does, too. I was cautioning that the LC knock offs don't carry a guarantee even though they might be quite adequate for some time. I should have been clearer.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

You're right, and I think AC does, too. I was cautioning that the LC knock offs don't carry a guarantee even though they might be quite adequate for some time. I should have been clearer.

I would like to point out, just for the record, that manufacturers like Staub and Chasseur are not knockoffs of Le Creuset.

--

To be even more clear, I don't recommend Calphalon to anyone. But it's perfectly adequate stuff for oven braising, even if it's not my (or your) first choice. In this particular application, all you really need is a container to hold the contents, since over the period that a good braise takes, the conductive properties of the vessel are far less important than on the stove top. Alton Brown oven-braises in an aluminum foil pouch, for crying out loud.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I would like to point out, just for the record, that manufacturers like Staub and Chasseur are not knockoffs of Le Creuset.

No, but I was suggesting she check out TJMaxx and Marshalls where I have seen enameled cast iron with no mfg names on them. I don't have the other brands you mention readily available to me, but would not hesitate to try them if I did as I know they have good reputations.

As a matter of fact I have a Scandinavian enameled cast iron pot in black with a beautiful, indeed elegant, design I'd like to find more of. On the bottom it has a cursive capital R with a crown shape above it. It's shape is very different: It has straight sides that come up a little higher on either side with holes in in to accommodate a notched wooden handle that goes into the holes for lifting and carrying the pot. Mine is black and about 35 years old. If anyone knows where I can find these please let me know.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Speaking of Staub, I was going to ask if anybody had any personal experiences with Staub? Are those basting spikes worth the extra price? How's the lid fit compared to Le Creuset?

I don't have any Staub, but have looked at them. They are definitely cool looking. The lids fit well. The spikes are the same as on Lodge, so if basting is what you want, it's great; if you're braising, it's not (but you're probably going to be protecting it from any drips anyway). The only real objection I have to them is the black or very dark interiors.

Next question: What should be JU's inaugural dish be in her new dutch oven? :smile:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Tuesday Morning also carries LC damaged stock, just for the record.

I'm still trying to figure out what driving a Volvo station wagon calls for, one with the big engine and the turbo, very confusing.

Jenny, did you get the pot? Whatcha gonna make in that bad boy?

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

The only real objection I have to them is the black or very dark interiors.

That is why my LC is the absolute perfect pot for making the roux for gumbos or other roux based dishes. You have the heavy pot, which is essential, and the light colored interior so you can really judge the color as it develops.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Next question: What should be JU's inaugural dish be in her new dutch oven? :smile:

Oooh, the pressure! I don't know if I can take it. :blink:

I have an offer of a loaner so I can try before I buy. Still bitterly cold here in DC so I'm thinking short ribs (but, as always, consider me a human suggestion box).

As a matter of fact I have a Scandinavian enameled cast iron pot in black with a beautiful, indeed elegant, design I'd like to find more of. On the bottom it has a cursive capital R with a crown shape above it. It's shape is very different: It has straight sides that come up a little higher on either side with holes in in to accommodate a notched wooden handle that goes into the holes for lifting and carrying the pot. Mine is black and about 35 years old. If anyone knows where I can find these please let me know.

the only scandinavian crowned cursive "r" i can think of would be rörstrand - but that is faïence and porcellaine. on the other hand, if you're looking for scandinavian enamelled cast iron, try searching for "copco" on ebay.

christianh@geol.ku.dk. just in case.

I'm making lamb stew in mine this weekend.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Tune in tomorrow morning. Got it at home and no working computer there.

I generally just use the recipe in Batali's "Everyday Italian Food" with some tweaks noted in the margins.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Cusina -- your Volvo clearly requires a 13 1/2 qt LC!

They should make a special square LC for Volvo drivers.

I nominate baked beans for an inaugural dish:

"Beans, beans, good for the heart. Beans beans great for the....heart" -- SNL

Just one month ago, I would have been like "huh?  whazzat?" but now I am shopping for a Dutch oven... 

My dutch ovens - an oval one and a round one - are Magnalite. I love them (they are over 20 years old and still going strong). They haven't been made for a while. While it is possible to buy them on Ebay - I'd feel more comfortable buying only if I could examine the pot before I bought. Robyn

What's the difference between the oval and round?

Mine is round and I don't get why you need two.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

What's the difference between the oval and round? 

Mine is round and I don't get why you need two.

I don't really need two. Bought the round one myself - and then someone gave me the oval one as a present a few years later. The oval is a fair amount larger than the round - so I decided to keep it. Robyn