• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch Options

vsrachel

Citrus Cafe on Thurlow and Dunsmuir. The have a wonderful array of healthy good food. The Korean place in the food court of Benall Centre, below the Royal Bank. When I think of more I will definitely add to this.

the food court in the bentall center (right by rex's) has some great choices. i like to have the pastas at fresh and also anita's kitchen makes some very tasty sandwiches and soups. on pender there's also fujiya, they make some really good boxed lunches that are pretty inexpensive and tasty.

We usually go to Sushi Cafe on Seymour, close to Dunsmuir (Across from the Bay). They have pretty authentic Japanese food, like tonkatsu, they even have a very tasty kimchi beef ramen noodle.

If you are closer to Robson, try the Tropica on Robson or the Thai house; both offers lunch specials that are very good.

I like the Sushi Cafe on Granville, too. I often stop there for a sunomono salad and a roll of some sort, along with about a hundred glasses of the free green tea.

For a nice treat (especially on a sunny day), head to the Gallery Cafe at the art gallery. It's cafeteria/catering style (grab a tray, choose your entree from the display case, they heat it up), and the features menu changes daily. They have great salads and paninis, and massive portions of at least 10 or 12 desserts on any given day. Lunch and a glass of wine will set you back $11-$14 depending on your meal.

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

I like the miniature food court in the basement near the corner of Thurlow and Alberni. The o-nigiri counter has a nice selection, which includes chicken karage to accompany your nigiri. Also the tonkatsu counter has fresh and inexpensive tonkatsu. Tasty, quick, and inexpensive!

Cheers!

I like the miniature food court in the basement near the corner of Thurlow and Alberni.

One of the handful of places in the world where I've been nervous about what I'm eating! :raz: Some places in the dungeon are better than others; I used to consider the pho the safest.

I haven't worked downtown for over a year, but I also used to frequent the Bentall food court, near Rex. It's at its best in the summer, when you can sit outside. Same goes for the Pan Pacific FC. Third FC I frequented was on Hornby just south of Hastings, beside the ESL school. Dark and cave-like, but has cheap Chinese.

Fujiya is good and cheap. There's also another sushi place right beside it that I like even better, can't remember the name but it is the little hole in the wall at the imaginary right angle between Fujiya and the Korean-run diner (where you can get some soup and a burger if you're into it). Still more good cheap takeout sushi immediately to the west of Artigano at Thurlow and Pender.

I just realized what a rut I was in when lunching downtown. Wish I knew about eGullet back then!

Edited to add: 100th post, why isn't there free eGullet stuff falling from the ceiling? At least give me the hat!

Edited by BCinBC (log)

I usually bring my lunch but here's a few more suggestions:

Soupspoons in Royal Centre

Cafe Artigiano for panini

There's a Kaplan's deli downtown somewhere now. I haven't been and I'm not a deli aficionado so I'll leave it to others to comment on their food.

The little Italian cafe in Bentall used to make good sandwiches. It's been a few years since I was in Bentall though so I don't know if it is still there or any good.

Cheers,

Anne

• 1 month later...

Finch's Tea and Coffee House 353 west Pender @the corner of Homer

if you're in a hurry you can call ahead: (604) 899-4040

Near Cassis, there is a soup and sandwich place-was called something like The Old Fashioned Café is now called Finch's. Our class went there for a working lunch break. It's a shabby chic heritage building-not much decor change since the last owners, but the sandwiches served on baguettes were made fresh, tasty, and the salads looked gorgeous. The soups got high marks. I had a full vegetarian baguette with avocado, cuke, red onion, cheddar, lettuce, tomato, and dijon mayo. They even do a couple of little cheese plates, one with warm brie and the other with Applewood cheddar. Going to the loo is a bit scary, but at least they have one. I like the windows on two sides-lots of natural light. There's a little bit of revived Bohemia happening on this street-check out the Seam-Rippers gallery 436 West Pender. I think this would be a good place to write a revolutionary tract of some sort. Free-range eggs for brekky and sweets are supplied by Fratelli's on Commercial.

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Finch's Tea and Coffee House 353 west Pender @the corner of Homer

if you're in a hurry you can call ahead: (604) 899-4040

Near Cassis, there is a soup and sandwich place-was called something like The Old Fashioned Café is now called Finch's. Our class went there for a working lunch break. It's a shabby chic heritage building-not much decor change since the last owners, but the sandwiches served on baguettes were made fresh, tasty, and the salads looked gorgeous. The soups got high marks. I had a full vegetarian baguette with avocado, cuke, red onion, cheddar, lettuce, tomato, and dijon mayo. They even do a couple of little cheese plates, one with warm brie and the other with Applewood cheddar. Going to the loo is a bit scary, but at least they have one. I like the windows on two sides-lots of natural light. There's a little bit of revived Bohemia happening on this street-check out the Seam-Rippers gallery 436 West Pender. I think this would be a good place to write a revolutionary tract of some sort. Free-range eggs for brekky and sweets are supplied by Fratelli's on Commercial.

I drove by the place last night and thought to myself - I wonder what it is like. Well now I have a reason to try it out. It seems like one of those great little coffee cafes that are low on pretention and whose decor is a natural out growth of their site (and what a beautiful corner site it is).

Thanks for the lowdown.

• 1 month later...

Wanted to share a great lunch option downtown.

Chiyoda - which is on the second floor of the building right accross the street from Kaplans on Alberni.

Just had the grilled fish lunch for about $9 before tax and tip and it was simply fantastic.

Lunch consisted of grilled fillet of makerel with the skin on, rice, miso soup, small pork and veggie stew, pickles and tea. The makeral was the best I've had - rich, succulent flesh with excellent charred crispy skin. It is usually a fish I avoid because it can be so fishy - but this did not have a trace of fishiness. It was almost tuna like - the flavors were so clean. It was pretty well boneless and I wolfed it down with omega 3 fish oil running down my chin. Really - I am not being mindlessly enthusiastic here. Definitely my new lunch haunt.

You can switch out the fish - your choices being salmon, halibut and others. Looked like someone was having grilled cuttlefish. When I asked the waitress what they were grilling - I thought she said Mako - so I was expecting a piece of shark - luckily it was not.

The room is very nice- clean and modern in a vaguely 80's japanese kind of way. Reminded me of japanese restaurants that they have in the office buildings in HK and Japan. They need to crank up the air conditioning though...

The cafe at the Vancouver Art Gallery is great. The food is fine, but the setting is incredible, particularly on sunny days. A big patio (Robson-facing but set back)with music piped in, a decent beer and wine selection, and the feeling of being on a leisurely holiday. It's quite charming and a nice urban getaway on hectic days.

The Rex Rottisserie and Grill. It is located on Dunsmuir Street between Burrard and Thurlow. The best prime rib in the city. The 3 owners are great guys.

The other spot is Showcase Restaurant in the Marriott Pinnacle. Great curry specials.

Leonard

C GM

The Rex Rottisserie and Grill. It is located on Dunsmuir Street between Burrard and Thurlow. The best prime rib in the city. The 3 owners are great guys.

The other spot is Showcase Restaurant in the Marriott Pinnacle. Great curry specials.

Leonard

C GM

Certainly second that choice. The chef/owner (Terry) is a great cook - we had a staff party there a couple of years back and everything was wonderful.

Carol at Adesso

oops I should have specified that I meant Rex.

Edited by Luciano Loi (log)

Leonard

C GM

Certainly second that choice. The chef/owner (Terry) is a great cook - we had a staff party there a couple of years back and everything was wonderful.

Carol at Adesso

oops I should have specified that I meant Rex.

If anyone is looking for a chef to do a rotisserie pig, Terry is the man!

I had the opportunity to try a piece one night and it was amazing.

Leonard

C GM

Does anyone know, Is Cassis open for Lunch?

Yes, Monday to Friday, 11a - 2:30p

I think they're not open for holidays.

420 West Pender (cross st Homer)

604 605 0420

Chemically speaking, chocolate really is the world's perfect food. --Michael Levine, nutrition researcher