• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Prepared Food to cook at home

jmbrightman

I picked up a baked Brie in a pastry shell with a fig compote center today from 9th St. DiBruno Pronto to serve w/ dinner tomorrow. 5 minutes in a 350 oven and I expect it will be fantastic. Dad's Stuffings delivers 12oz. center cut pork chops with amazing bread and spinach stuffing - or your choice of 6 other stuffings (in heating trays with instructions) for the sum total of $4.25 each. their Chicken Annette, a chicken cutlet topped with fried eggplant, prosciutto, sauteed spinach, and provolone, is also obscenely good. Bobby Chez (Cherry Hill and Collingswood NJ) shrimp puffs and garlic mashed are a good easy meal when you don't feel like cooking. what are some other spots that are worth a special trip in the DV?

I picked up a baked Brie in a pastry shell with a fig compote center today from 9th St. DiBruno Pronto to serve w/ dinner tomorrow.  5 minutes in a 350 oven and I expect it will be fantastic.  Dad's Stuffings delivers 12oz. center cut pork chops with amazing bread and spinach stuffing - or your choice of 6 other stuffings (in heating trays with instructions) for the sum total of $4.25 each.  their Chicken Annette, a chicken cutlet topped with fried eggplant, prosciutto, sauteed spinach, and provolone, is also obscenely good.  Bobby Chez (Cherry Hill and Collingswood NJ) shrimp puffs and garlic mashed are a good easy meal when you don't feel like cooking.  what are some other spots that are worth a special trip in the DV?

I just checked out Dad's stuffings a few weeks ago for the first time and was blown away by the place. Got some great pasta to go (gnocchi with broccoli rabe and sausage - it was delicious!), some good scamutz (marinated mozzarella balls) and some of the best Italian Wedding Soup I've ever had. Their soups are amazing, and the prepared meats looked fabulous. Definitely going to go back and check out some more of the specialties there. I was very pleased with everything I got.

DiBruno Pronto also has quality product. I'm particularly fond of the rotisserie chicken, but thats something that every supermarket and Boston Chicken has too, so that's usually a convenience thing for me. I really enjoy the prepared salads there too. But I find it far more economical to go to the regular DiBruno's store and pick up the olives and stuffed grape leaves and other marinated and prepared veggies and a few kinds of cheese make a meal of that.

Bobby Chez offends me deeply on their prices. There's no way I'll pay what they're asking per piece for their stuff - I don't care how good it is. $4.00 EACH for the coconut shrimp. At those prices I want it cooked and served to me. I guess for folks that really can't cook and have way too much disposable income it's a decent alternative, but I think their prices are just outrageous.

The little market (GardenFresh?) on the Southeast corner of 23rd and Fairmount always had some prepared things in there and makes a really fine hoagie. Used to get stuff from them when I worked across the street.

And of course there's always the Whole Paycheck...the original Yuppie supermarket.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The little market (GardenFresh?) on the Southeast corner of 23rd and Fairmount always had some prepared things in there and makes a really fine hoagie.  Used to get stuff from them when I worked across the street.

Garden Fresh it is. Katie, when were you at London?

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

The little market (GardenFresh?) on the Southeast corner of 23rd and Fairmount always had some prepared things in there and makes a really fine hoagie.  Used to get stuff from them when I worked across the street.

Garden Fresh it is. Katie, when were you at London?

I was Assistant GM at London from 1996-1998.

To remain OT, does Garden Fresh still have good prepared products? I'd actually make a special trip up there if they did.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Fell for DiBruno Pronto in a nanosecond. A selection of their salads made for a great meal on our train ride home last night. Their dishes for reheating looked terrific. One of those amenities that make every aspect of a trip to Philly rewarding.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Severino's in Westmont and Georgetti's in Cinnaminson both sell heat & eat Italian dishes. Both also makes their own sauces and pasta; Georgetti's white clam sauce is excellent.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Severino's!! I should have remembered them as well. Used to get dinner to take home all the time when I worked around the corner at Moore Bros. Really great pasta and sauces and the deli stuff are pretty good too.

A little known secret is that if you want to make your own custom pasta, Severino's will stuff the ravioli for you if you bring them your filling in a large enough quantity. :cool:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

is Georgetti's off 130?  what is the landmark or intersection?

It's on Cinnaminson Ave, on the left as you're about to enter Palmyra, across from a cemetary (where legend has it that a witch is buried!!).

Are you familiar with the intersection at the old Caldor? It would be, heading south on 130 from Whistler's Inn, the second light. Take the jughandle (bear right) just before the light; continue to bear right (do not go back out to 130) and this will put you on Cinna. Ave. Georgetti's is about a mile down the road.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

garden fresh is still there, and they still have good prepared food, although i can't think of whether or not they have cook-it-yourself stuff there. they also make good hoagies, and have great portuguese rolls for sale.

thanks!  btw, Severino sauces are available at DiBruno's if Philly folk don't want to go over the bridge.

And pasta, too, if I'm not mistaken. At least I believe my partner brought some of their pasta home one day after a stop at DiBruno's on Rittenhouse Square.

Speaking of DiBruno's: Took a peek at the new Rittenhouse location taking shape a couple of nights back on my way home from the all-night CVS @ 19th and Chestnut. This place is going to be dynamite when it opens, judging from the work in progress. Who needs Dean & DeLuca?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

thanks!  btw, Severino sauces are available at DiBruno's if Philly folk don't want to go over the bridge.

Speaking of DiBruno's: Took a peek at the new Rittenhouse location taking shape a couple of nights back on my way home from the all-night CVS @ 19th and Chestnut. This place is going to be dynamite when it opens, judging from the work in progress. Who needs Dean & DeLuca?

??? Where's the new Rittenhouse location? We'd gotten our food at the Pronto on 19th. Are they building another in the same area?

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

???  Where's the new Rittenhouse location?  We'd gotten our food at the Pronto on 19th.  Are they building another in the same area?

They're renovating a building for a new location around the corner, in the old Express store on Chestnut. I'm reasonably certain it'll be more than twice as large, and I wouldn't doubt 3+ times as large.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

the only thing I get a Bobby Chez is the small lobster mashed, 2 shrimp puffs, 1 crab cake to split for two.  costs aroud $25.  all else is obscenely priced - especially the single roasted pepper for $4.

And the only thing I get there are the onion rings. Again, they're not cheap: like $5 for an order, but they're probably the best onion rings I've ever had. Mammoth chunks of sweet onion, nice crisp crumb breading, and enough food for two or three people.

???  Where's the new Rittenhouse location?  We'd gotten our food at the Pronto on 19th.  Are they building another in the same area?

They're renovating a building for a new location around the corner, in the old Express store on Chestnut. I'm reasonably certain it'll be more than twice as large, and I wouldn't doubt 3+ times as large.

if that's the store i walked by tonight it's HUGE. awesome. one thing dibruno's has never had an excess of, in either location, is space. it's gonna be cool...

visiting the 9th St DiBruno's store is always fun. 8 guys behind the counter saying " who's next", 25 people in front of the counter overwhelmed by the selection of antipasti (personal fave - the stuffed artichokes topped w/ sun-dried tomatoes), olives and cheese...I wish they could expand the store, but Claudio's took the adjacent property for their fresh mozzarella operation.

Bobby Chez chicken fingers are the best I have had. I bought them for the kids, but they spurned them because they were not the familiar Perdue chicken nuggets. I was forced to eat them. :rolleyes:

Edited by jmbrightman (log)

Thanks! Making notes now for next trip to Philly. This is essential information.

visiting the 9th St DiBruno's store is always fun.  8 guys behind the counter saying " who's next", 25 people in front of the counter overwhelmed by the selection of antipasti (personal fave - the stuffed artichokes topped w/ sun-dried tomatoes), olives and cheese...I wish they could expand the store, but Claudio's took the adjacent property for their fresh mozzarella operation.

Whoops!

Claudio's fresh mozzarella store is next door north of the original Claudio's. I think this had been the site of Renzulli's Water Ice.

The space next door north of DiBruno Bros. House of Cheese on 9th is still vacant. (It's DiBruno Bros. Pronto--the prepared-foods store, not the cheese emporium--that's north of Claudio's.) They would do well to buy the place, but I think I'd miss the atmosphere of the current location. I'm sure the staff would be no less friendly and willing to educate you, though.

Somewhat relevant aside: I went down to DiBruno's the Saturday before Easter to find a blue cheese to use in my mac and cheese for Easter dinner. The salesclerk recommended a creamy Gorgonzola. I also bought some Caciocavallo, and combined these two with New York State extra sharp Cheddar and Colby-Jack from the supermarket. The result was dynamite. One of my guests suggested I save some of the dish for the salesclerk next time I went, but everyone finished it off before I could do so.

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Somewhat relevant aside:  I went down to DiBruno's the Saturday before Easter to find a blue cheese to use in my mac and cheese for Easter dinner.  The salesclerk recommended a creamy Gorgonzola.  I also bought some Caciocavallo, and combined these two with New York State extra sharp Cheddar and Colby-Jack from the supermarket.  The result was dynamite.  One of my guests suggested I save some of the dish for the salesclerk next time I went, but everyone finished it off before I could do so.

Is that a mac and cheese recipe you are willing to share?

I belch, therefore, I ate...

Somewhat relevant aside:  I went down to DiBruno's the Saturday before Easter to find a blue cheese to use in my mac and cheese for Easter dinner.  The salesclerk recommended a creamy Gorgonzola.  I also bought some Caciocavallo, and combined these two with New York State extra sharp Cheddar and Colby-Jack from the supermarket.  The result was dynamite.  One of my guests suggested I save some of the dish for the salesclerk next time I went, but everyone finished it off before I could do so.

Is that a mac and cheese recipe you are willing to share?

Glad to:

8 ounces elbow macaroni, uncooked (fusilli, cavatappi or shells are also OK)

2 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons flour (for thicker sauce, use 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch)

1 1/2 cups milk

White pepper and cayenne pepper to taste

8 ounces shredded extra sharp Cheddar cheese (about 2 cups)

4 ounces shredded Colby Jack cheese (about 1 cup)

6 ounces blue cheese, crumbled (about 1 cup)

6 ounces shredded Caciocavallo cheese (about 1 1/2 cups)

Shredded Cheddar or buttered bread crumbs for topping

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Cook elbow macaroni according to package instructions. Drain and pour into a 2-quart casserole dish.

In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and stir in flour. Whisk in milk, add pepper and heat just to boiling over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in shredded cheese and continue cooking and stirring until cheese is melted.

Pour cheese sauce over pasta in casserole. Top with additional shredded cheese or breadcrumb topping. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes.

6 servings.

I'm sure other varieties of blue cheese would also work well, but the creamy Gorgonzola has the advantage of its consistency. I will go so far as to warn you away from Treasure Cave, however; it's too bland.

Let me know how you like this if you try it.

Edited by MarketStEl (log)