• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Sweets And The City"

Mooshmouse

I finally have a dessert that I think is worthy of mentioning here. Butterscotch Pot de Creme with dark chocolate toffee crunch. Flavoured with premium scotch and topped with dark chocolate cream.

Shared it with a few other people at a dinner gathering last week and it was unbelievably good. Smooth chocolately, butterscotchy goodness. :wub: Normally, I am not a dessert person, but I think I could have even eaten a whole one of these myself.

Now... I bet you're wondering where I had this marvel.....

wait for it....

Milestones.

Yes, that's right. And the rest of the meal was pretty darn good as well. But that dessert, man-o-man, I'll be getting some more before their spring promo ends. :biggrin:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Thought I'd chime in on a couple of desserts from Mix The Bakery which butter and I visited on Tuesday. We had originally intended to visit Patisserie St. Moritz; however, it was closing for a late lunch break and we wanted to sit and enjoy our sweets.

gallery_18820_923_68314.jpg

Chocolate Oblivion

Though it's a photogenic dessert, butter and I both found it too sweet to eat. The caramel and buttercrunch topping was actually less sweet than the cake itself. I struggled through four bites and butter had two before we threw in the towel. My teeth are sweating right now just thinking about it.

gallery_18820_923_23375.jpg

Chocolate Framboise

Not quite as photogenic and not quite as sweet; however, we didn't finish this one either. The ganache wasn't very smooth, almost grainy or mealy in texture, and tasted more like milk chocolate rather than the having the intense dark-chocolate flavour that we both prefer.

Mix's breads did, however, look fabulous. I'll be sure to pick up a loaf the next time I'm out in that direction... on my way to St. Moritz. :rolleyes:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I've heard that place serves some sort of green tea cheesecake...or was it green tea mousse? And the bathroom is legendary....

You're right, they do have a green tea cheesecake there. I had it a few years ago so I don't really remember it, just that it was good but I thought it would be better for some reason. I really like the green tea cheesecake at Shiru Bay/Chopstick Cafe down the street though. No cake in it (which is what I like), hard bottom, and not too rich. They use gelatin in it, which is a bit unusual (in a good way) It just melts in your mouth. You can really taste the green tea in the cheesecake, and they drizzle matcha syrup around the plate, and garnish the cheesecake with a senbei (rice cracker).

On another topic, I love their ebi chili mayo.

And continuing on the topic of desserts, I had wonderful creme brulee at Bistro Sakana last year - there were 3 kinds, each in a different sake (or maybe tea?) cup. Matcha (green tea), roasted tea, and some other kind of tea. I think they were warm. Is creme brulee supposed to be served warm or cool, by the way?

...That bathroom at Don't Show the Elephant - you really can't see through that glass once you lock the door! When you're inside, you can kind of make out people moving around outside, but no-one can see what's inside.

Has anyone heard of Sugar Arts in Steveston Village (in Richmond)? The baker, Dominque Jarry, is apparently quite famous among pastry professionals.  :smile:

As stated later on this thread, an appointment to visit his shop is advisable. However, I found a few hard to find things in his shop and he's very genial. He specializes in wedding cakes and sugar arts.

A few years ago I took a sugar arts course at VCC and it was remarkably easy and very pretty. A couple of pastry chefs were taking the class as well. Dominque Jarry tought that course and he also teaches a wedding cake course. Both are good courses if you want to add that extra oomph in your dessert plating.

Sorry, he doesn't have any pastries to buy in his shop.

I so agree - all these 'Garden' tiered tea time little cakes are sending me into estrogen shock...  must... have... the manliest of desserts....  HSG GPB!

ahhh - now I am a MAN.

Had HSG GPB for the 3rd time...absolutely f*ing fantastic if you like ginger. Chef Neil, I forgot to ask you, do you make your own ice creams?

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

Had HSG GPB for the 3rd time...absolutely f*ing fantastic if you like ginger. Chef Neil, I forgot to ask you, do you make your own ice creams?

I'm not Chef Neil, but the answer would be yes on that one, if I remember correctly.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

There are many wonderful things in life. This is one of them.

gallery_18820_923_48411.jpg

Coconut Layer Cake - LilyKate

What a truly wonderous thing. Cake was moist with a gentle sweetess. As aptly described by Lorna, the filling had a coconutty condensed milk flavour; however, it was the Italian meringue "frosting" that made this dessert. Coconut heaven.

gallery_18820_923_22198.jpg

Chocolate Cake - LilyKate

Since Lorna actually had this as part of her lunch (i.e., not dessert), I'll quote her description.

The chocolate cake was moist and dark, with a thick layer of decent (i.e. not Safeway) frosting.

gallery_18820_923_33936.jpg

Dessert Quartet - Ganache Patisserie

After Friday's LilyKate excursion, we walked off some of our calories and headed around the corner to sample some of the new seasonal offerings at Ganache Patisserie. Chef Peter Fong offered us a sample of his otherworldly chocolate truffles to accompany this lovely dessert quartet. Wow. PaoPao, you weren't kidding about the truffles.

gallery_18820_923_42896.jpg

Chevre-Vanille - Ganache Patisserie

Lorna's choice: vanilla-chevre cheesecake atop toasted almond biscotti. A wonderful marriage of three flavours, with the chevre adding richness and a unique flavour note.

gallery_18820_923_16708.jpg

Citron-Nectarine - Ganache Patisserie

Arne's choice: lemon mascarpone cream layered with vanilla-star anise crème brûlée and vanilla poached nectarines atop a lemon financier. Very delicately flavoured. Though I'm not normally a star anise fan, the flavour was subtle and didn't overpower the rest of the dessert.

gallery_18820_923_30777.jpg

Coco-Mango - Ganache Patisserie

My choice: coconut mango cheesecake atop coconut biscotti. Lighter than I had expected for a cheesecake, almost like a creamy mango pudding with a subtle hint of coconut flavour. Tropical and sweet, a nice follow-up to the coconut layer cake from LilyKate.

Joie Alvaro Kent

Ling, do you remember what type of chocolate Chef Fong uses in his truffles at Ganache?

Joie Alvaro Kent

Yes, 70% Cacao Berry.

They also use Cacao Berry (both milk and dark) at St. Moritz.

Cacao Berry is better quality than Callebaut, according to the baker at St. Moritz. :smile: (It certainly tastes better too--less creamy, more intense cocoa flavour. The baker was kind enough to give me samples--well, more like a small plate's worth!--of the different chocolates he uses each time I've gone. I also had a white chocolate...I forget which brand though. Could also have been Cacao Berry, I guess.)

Edited by Ling (log)

I heard a nasty rumour that Casa Gelato was closed. Can an informed someone confirm (or preferably deny)?

It's open - we stopped there last night for some gelato on the way home from a Chinese food outing. I was rather surprised, however, to discover that they were out of my usual choice, tartufo, AND my backup choice, strawberry champagne sorbetto. Never in all the years I've been going there have they been out of tartufo! Damn, yo. Under pressure I cracked and went for rocky road and spent the car ride home with a big chocolate ring around my mouth.

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

Thanks for the info Snacky. I am considering getting a deep freezer and buying their next batch of triple berry jalapeno in its entirety, just in case...

PS: bad news about the rocky road, but I think Ling has some expertise in freeing pesky chocolate stains from mouth if you've still got that problem. :biggrin:

Thanks for the info Snacky. I am considering getting a deep freezer and buying their next batch of triple berry jalapeno in its entirety, just in case...

PS: bad news about the rocky road, but I think Ling has some expertise in freeing pesky chocolate stains from mouth if you've still got that problem.  :biggrin:

Heh, if I have any chocolate stain remainders, I fear they're just going to get worse after tonight's "all things Belgian chocolate" dessert. Maybe I should wear a brown outfit out tonight.

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

PS: bad news about the rocky road, but I think Ling has some expertise in freeing pesky chocolate stains from mouth if you've still got that problem.  :biggrin:

Heh, if I have any chocolate stain remainders, I fear they're just going to get worse after tonight's "all things Belgian chocolate" dessert. Maybe I should wear a brown outfit out tonight.

:shock:

Good call!

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

My son and I tried out Steeps Tea Lounge, 895 West Broadway at Laurel. I was drawn in by the huge "authentic chai" sign out front. Ummm, nope, it's made from liquid concentrate microbrewed in Alberta with cane sugar.

Desserts are from Aphrodite's Organic Delights (i.e. their banana cream pie), and the Swiss Bakery. We sampled a brownie-more like a square of dense cake with icing and a dab of whipped cream. It was very chocolately, but not moist and fudgy. Still, for under three bucks, a good hit of chocolate. We also had a walnut square-very much like what you'd find at a tea on the prairies-chock full of rich walnuts, and quite sweet with a bit of jam and shortbread crust on the bottom. I liked it, but my son passed and went for the chocolate.

It's a good reno. We sat at the round window under a chandelier-type art piece made of tea bags in very comfy chairs. There's a gas fireplace. The colors are rich, and the space has a homey feel. It reminded me in a wierd way of the mysterious "Carmello's"-anyone remember that place?

I wonder if there's a connection.

In any case, I think their iced teas will be worth checking out and it's a good place to wait while your photos are being developed at London Drugs!

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

ETA: My favourite thing at the Empress was the carrot, ginger, and cream cheese tea sandwiches. What a flavour combination.  :wub:

Ling, could you describe these sandwiches for me? A friend is putting on an afternoon tea in a couple of weeks & has asked me to help ...these sound great.

It's been quite a few years since I had those sandwiches, but I remember that the carrot was grated very finely, and the taste of ginger was very subtle. Both the carrot and the ginger were mixed into the cream cheese. Perhaps they minced a very small amount of fresh ginger, or maybe it was a little bit of candied ginger? The sandwich was a bit sweet and was a very interesting addition to the typical savoury spread. Happy experimenting. :smile:

^You're welcome! Sorry I couldn't help you with a better description....

I thought of another dessert destination--the Savary Island Pie Company. I was just looking at the Stong's website and realized you can get their pies there...so no need to go to N. Van.  :smile:

Yowza, I can get the same Savary Island Pies at Stong's? I'm definitely going there next time I'm working near Dunbar. My neighbour just gave me a slice of the lemon pie today which they got from Savary and I totally devoured it in seconds. Darn, I was hoping to save it for tomorrow.

BTW, Savary Island Pie Company is in West Vancouver. :biggrin: