• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Sweets And The City"

Mooshmouse

I've always thought the HSG GBP was an excellent take on sticky toffee pudding - especially if you let the caramel sauce that comes with it soak into the gingerbread.  It has the warm comfort of a sticky toffee pudding - but with the bite and gentle heat of deep ginger flavors.

***drooling***

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Ended up at Coco et Olive before a concert at the Chan Centre for a latte and two bite brownie. Oh la la! C'est le vrai chose. The little brownies are 2 for $2 and I am in love with the fudgey icing--a bit of espresso in there, je pense. For you intense chocolovers out there the Chocolate Bouchons are made from 70% c.s. Belgian Chocolate. It's a mini cake stuffed with ganache. The cake is very rich and fine-grained. It's the richest chocolate dessert I think I've ever eaten. I think I can go back and have another bite now. I just take a hit from it once in a while!

Tomorrow I am seriously starting my pre-Christmas diet and exercise regime! :wacko:

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Ended up at Coco et Olive before a concert at the Chan Centre for a latte and two bite brownie. Oh la la! C'est le vrai chose. The little brownies are 2 for $2 and I am in love with the fudgey icing--a bit of espresso in there, je pense. For you intense chocolovers out there the Chocolate Bouchons are made from 70% c.s. Belgian Chocolate. It's a mini cake stuffed with ganache. The cake is very rich and fine-grained. It's the richest chocolate dessert I think I've ever eaten. I think I can go back and have another bite now. I just take a hit from it once in a while!

Tomorrow I am seriously starting my pre-Christmas diet and exercise regime!  :wacko:

Zuke

i have been wondering about this place. i think that it is definitely on the high priority list now! thanks, zuke!

Quentina

Last night I bought a pastry from Meinhardt. It was a puff pastry with a cream cheese filling flavored with almond. It was topped with sprinkles of icing sugar. It sold for just under $4 apiece, a good price considering it was rather large.

It was absolutely creamy delicious heaven. Does anyone know what this dessert is? I'd like to make it but I'm sure Meinhardt will not divulge the recipe.

I just was reading the last couple of pages and saw mention of Patisserie LeBeau. Is that place still open last few times I drove by they were closed, have they moved form West 2nd and if so where too?

I would go there on Sunday mornings for a strawberry Belgian waffles. They told me it was the only day they served them, is that still the case?

waffles.JPG

La Terrazza’s lava cake was mentioned, and I would have to agree it is great but honestly too small of a portion for me. I also enjoy their White Chocolate Cheesecake wrapped in filo pastry. Very light and once you cut into the desert you treated with warm cheese cake that just melts in your mouth, defiantly worth trying.

(I will try to find a picture to post, Iam sure its on my computer somewhere)

I just was reading the last couple of pages and saw mention of Patisserie LeBeau. Is that place still open last few times I drove by they were closed, have they moved form West 2nd and if so where too?

I would go there on Sunday mornings for a strawberry Belgian waffles. They told me it was the only day they served them, is that still the case?

waffles.JPG

D90, Can I just say that that is a beautiful photo. I love the bite taken out of the waffle. You track down those dessert photos and post post post!

Zuke :raz:

--Mae West

I was there three weeks ago, but I have not gone since.

I will be in the neighbourhood on Saturday to pick up some cheesy comestibles at Les Amis du Fromage, so I will check and report back!

Emmanuelle

D90, Can I just say that that is a beautiful photo. I love the bite taken out of the waffle. You track down those dessert photos and post post post!

Thank you, that picture turned out extremely well considering I almost forgot to take it I just wanted to dig in, hence the bite mark. We also picked up a couple dipped and filled waffles a couple days late for my friend’s plan ride home. Here is another picture from that morning, remember this is after a very long evening out and very little sleep, and waking up just to have breakfast, I hope she doesn’t mind lol.

wafflegurl.JPG

Well I have searched my hard drive and it looks like all my La Terezza dinner and desert pictures are gone, except one that I found on my the picture didn’t turn out that well. I am sorry.

ltcheese.JPG

But I recommend if you ever have the chance just drop by for desert and order the white chocolate cheese cake (pict above) and the lava cake along with a couple martini’s (lychee is always good) and just relax in their lounge area.

Iam disapointed to hear about Patisserie LeBeau anyone have any information on their new locations and if really have switched to a whole sale business only?

Thanks

Edited by D90 (log)

So I ate the lemon one, the crust was just about as good (being a day older). This filling however was very good: kumquat or ?? (sour orange) berry (the kind you sometimes see as a garnish on desserts) squished into the corners, small dollop of ganache in the center, and all covered by lemon curd. Mmm, better than the choc pistachio one, probably because of the pleasant surprise inside.

ETA: It also had a very slightly caramalized sprinkling of sugar on top, a la brulees.

Funny because I had a lemon tart from there Saturday morning. It was lemon on top without the caramelized sugar, bit of the chocolate (which I thought maybe had some hazelnut in it) and then a layer of peach. It was really well done, but I thought it needed more tartness. Sounds like we had different tarts all together. The chocolate ganache one I had was made with a raspberry jam layer and a layer of brickle before the crust. Again, it was expertly done, but just not my favorite.

I loved the scone I had with homemade cherry jam.

Zuke

Just read yesterday's Sun where Mia Stainsby reviewed this place (which is La Cucina del Diavolo, also talked about in post #277). Sorry I can't find the article online, you'll have to raid the blue boxes. Three word summary: she liked it.

I'd like to try La Cucina del Diavolo again because they probably have a wide reperatoire of sweets that's always changing.

I was fantasizing about making a gourmet version of s'mores with homemade marshmallows and guess what? Anona makes them. They are so good. The marshmallow is piped onto a buttery cookie base and covered with dark chocolate.

Three thumbs up from the Famiglia del Zucchini!

--Mae West

^I was also at Patisserie LeBeau looking for lemon tarts, but the sign on the door said that they are closed and have moved to another location. (I think it also said something about doing wholesale? Or no longer selling to the public?)

Oh no! I was hoping to hang out there and introduce the waffles to my date! Anyone know what's happening?

^I was also at Patisserie LeBeau looking for lemon tarts, but the sign on the door said that they are closed and have moved to another location. (I think it also said something about doing wholesale? Or no longer selling to the public?)

that is truly tragic. i was starting to think of this block as the holy trinity of food heaven. desert, cheese, and other goodies and books to tell you how to put it all together. damn, i'm sure going to miss their pear and frangipagne tart and the lemon tart. :sad:

Quentina

Thank you, that picture turned out extremely well considering I almost forgot to take it I just wanted to dig in, hence the bite mark. We also picked up a couple dipped and filled waffles a couple days late for my friend’s plan ride home. Here is another picture from that morning, remember this is after a very long evening out and very little sleep, and waking up just to have breakfast, I hope she doesn’t mind lol.

wafflegurl.JPG

Well I have searched my hard drive and it looks like all my La Terezza dinner and desert pictures are gone, except one that I found on my the picture didn’t turn out that well. I am sorry.

ltcheese.JPG

But I recommend if you ever have the chance just drop by for desert and order the white chocolate cheese cake (pict above) and the lava cake along with a couple martini’s (lychee is always good) and just relax in their lounge area.

Iam disapointed to hear about Patisserie LeBeau anyone have any information on their new locations and if really have switched to a whole sale business only?

Thanks

I can vouch for the White Chocolate Cheesecake in Phyllo at La Terrazza as well. I haven't had it in a couple of years now, but it has stood the test of time on their menu for a reason. It is simply phenomenal.

Another of my fav restaurants for desserts is Cioppino's. All the desserts are also available at Enoteca, and they are simply amazing. I distinctly remember a pistachio creme brulee and a raspberry espresso chocolate mousse and both were incredible. Parkside has some great ones, I remember a grapefruit dessert with Riesling reduction that stands out and Bin 941's desserts are always excellent. Their mascarpone cheesecake was fantastic.

Now I'm all excited just thinking about it!

Ian McTavish

General Manager / Capones Restaurant & Live Jazz Club

I was at a birthday party recently & the cake was delicious. I knew it was a bought cake, but was very surprised when I found out it came from Save-On, of all places.

I believe it was called a Tuxedo Cake, & consisted of two thin yellow cake layers, chocolate mousse, a chocolate cake layer, whipped cream & chocolate curls. We think there may have been some caramel in there too.

Doesn't compare to some of the bakery cakes referred to here, but made with "real" ingredients, as opposed to many other supermarkets cakes.

Edited to change the name of the store..thanks to sanrencho

Edited by jayhay (log)

Speaking of cheesecake, I just tried the President's Choice Pumpkin Cheesecake - WOW - for sometime that came out of Superstore (my kids call it Stupidstore...for good reason) it was fantastic. An entire small cheesecake that feeds four people was only $5.95. I think the last slice I ordered at a restaurant was $6.50, and not nearly as good.

Plain cheesecake circles the outside of the cake, with a creamier pumpkin/cheesecake filling in the middle. Sprinkled with cinnamon, I think, and with a nut (walnut, I think) crust.

Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography.

~ Robert Byrne

I was at a birthday party  recently & the cake was delicious.  I knew it was a bought cake, but was very surprised  when I found out it came from Save-On, of all places.

I believe it was called a Tuxedo Cake, & consisted of  two thin yellow cake layers, chocolate mousse, a chocolate cake layer, whipped cream & chocolate curls.  We think there may have been some caramel in there too.

Doesn't compare to some of the bakery cakes referred to here, but made with "real" ingredients, as opposed to many other supermarkets cakes.

Edited to change the name of the store..thanks to sanrencho

The tuxedo cake was recommended by a friend a while ago, and it is a pretty decent dessert as far as supermarkets go: the price is also very reasonable.

I have been a Sen5es Stilton cheesecake devotee since my first cake around 4 years ago. Thomas Haas also used to do a Hazelnut chocolate dome, my second choice, but haven't seen it there for a couple of years.

Elizabeth

"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook".

Patisserie LeBeau is still up and running on W. 2nd. I dropped by today and the sign on the door simply states that they have a wholesale business in another location and that their waffles are available from both locations.

Their hours are listed on the door. Closed Mondays I believe. They do close damn early in the afternoon though. In this age of more personalized service they seem to be thriving on minimal hours and service.