• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Sweets And The City"

Mooshmouse

lemon tart from Sen5es

beautiful, isn't it? I'm using this picture as my Desktop right now :wub:

lemontartsenses.jpg

lemon tart from Capers

the curd was actually nice and smooth when I bought it, but I dropped the tart (still in its brown bag) on the floor and messed up the tart a bit

lemontart.jpg

Edited by Ling (log)

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got around to sampling one of the tarts that Canucklehead brought by from La Cucina del Diavolo on the weekend. It was chocolate pistachio; the filling was a somewhat unidentifiable custard-based dollop (it was a small dollop, but my guess is that it was pistachio-infused), covered with a chocolate ganache and half-sprinkled with finely chopped pistachios. Nice filling, not overly rich. However the tart shell was IMO outstanding. It had a lot of structure, but wasn't tough. Once you bit it, it yielded easily enough but was not crumbly. It was delicious!

There remains one lemon tart in the fridge, which I will enjoy later tonight.

I finally got around to sampling one of the tarts that Canucklehead brought by from La Cucina del Diavolo on the weekend.

Oop... I knew we had forgotten to eat something on Saturday night!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

So I ate the lemon one, the crust was just about as good (being a day older). This filling however was very good: kumquat or ?? (sour orange) berry (the kind you sometimes see as a garnish on desserts) squished into the corners, small dollop of ganache in the center, and all covered by lemon curd. Mmm, better than the choc pistachio one, probably because of the pleasant surprise inside.

ETA: It also had a very slightly caramalized sprinkling of sugar on top, a la brulees.

Edited by BCinBC (log)

So I ate the lemon one, the crust was just about as good (being a day older). This filling however was very good: kumquat or ?? (sour orange) berry (the kind you sometimes see as a garnish on desserts)

Is it ground cherry (physalis)?

eta: the description sounds dee-lish :wub:

Edited by Ling (log)

Hey Ling, I don't know what physalis is (an orange-coloured cherry?), but I don't think it was ground cherry. It really reminded me of either kumquat or that ?? orange berry usually served as a single on a stem with one brownish gold leaf, very refreshing tasting... Having severe mental block here!! Anyway I say kumquat because it was orange and small and sour tasting.

Hey Ling, I don't know what physalis is (an orange-coloured cherry?), but I don't think it was ground cherry. It really reminded me of either kumquat or that ?? orange berry usually served as a single on a stem with one brownish gold leaf, very refreshing tasting... Having severe mental block here!! Anyway I say kumquat because it was orange and small and sour tasting.

I think you two are talking about the same thing, that little orange guy with the papery leaf, served in restaurants with dessert...

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

No the orange berry thing I'm trying to describe is not a kumquat, it is something else. "_____ berry". I am hemorrhaging because I can't fill in the blank just now. Aaah!

A waiter once told me (incorrectly) that the ground cherry on my plate was a juniper berry...

I think you are all right - if you google cape gooseberry, the images look right. When you go to some of the websites like tradewindsfruit.com, it says it's the same thing as physalis or ground cherry. Thanks for the mental Drano. Cheers!

ETA: Ling - I was totally reading your post as "ground up" cherry, not "groundcherry" like a single word. Makes more sense now.

Edited by BCinBC (log)

So I ate the lemon one, the crust was just about as good (being a day older). This filling however was very good: kumquat or ?? (sour orange) berry (the kind you sometimes see as a garnish on desserts) squished into the corners, small dollop of ganache in the center, and all covered by lemon curd. Mmm, better than the choc pistachio one, probably because of the pleasant surprise inside.

ETA: It also had a very slightly caramalized sprinkling of sugar on top, a la brulees.

Funny because I had a lemon tart from there Saturday morning. It was lemon on top without the caramelized sugar, bit of the chocolate (which I thought maybe had some hazelnut in it) and then a layer of peach. It was really well done, but I thought it needed more tartness. Sounds like we had different tarts all together. The chocolate ganache one I had was made with a raspberry jam layer and a layer of brickle before the crust. Again, it was expertly done, but just not my favorite.

I loved the scone I had with homemade cherry jam.

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

I'm a huge fan of sweets but follow two general rules when ordering dessert:

1. I'll order the "heaviest dessert" on the menu (I make it point of asking the waiter), and -

2. I rarely mix fruit and dessert. So far as I'm concerned, they're two completely different things. Nothing ruins chocolate like a tart raspberry coulis. Of course, there are occasional exceptions to the rule (a good banana cake comes to mind).

That being said, here are my favorite desserts in Vancouver in no particular order -

1. The Date(Toffee) Pudding at Caffe de Medici: What was that I said about not mixing fruit and dessert? Well, to be honest, I avoided this dessert whenever I visited UNTIL a friend ordered it and insisted I try some. Needless to say, I'm a convert to this rich, sweet dessert and now never miss the opportunity to order it when I dine at Medici. Tip: Order it with an extra scoop of ice cream.

2. The Chocolate Lava Cake at La Terrazza: Rich doesn't begin to describe this decadent dessert which resembles a chocolate souffle. But crack the top and the pool of dark and milk chocolate is revealed. Very different (and, in my opinion, much better) that the warm chocolate-center cakes served at Blue Water and Cioppino's). Tip: Like the Date/Toffee Pudding, this one benefits from an extra scoop of vanilla ice cream.

3. The Chocolate Risotto at Bis Moreno: Okay, are you noticing a trend? I'm not sure if this is still on the menu, but it was chocolate heaven the last time we dined here.

4. The Stilton Cheesecake at Senses: Home of the best pastries in Vancouver and this curious but delicious offering. I picked one up on a lark, but its unique flavor totally won me over. It makes me long for the Gorgonzola Creme Brulee they used to serve at C Restaurant.

5. The Pecan Pie a la Mode at Memphis Blues: My favorite pie at my favorite rib-joint in town.

6. The Thomas Haas Signature Chocolate Bar at Diva at the Met: A crispy chocolate fondant with caramel, chocolate sorbet, and a sparkle cookie. What better way to wind down after a foie gras burger?

7. Deep Fried Mars Bar/Snickers Bar/Smores at Wing Nuts: If you're worried about the calories, I'd suggest skipping the wings and just having dessert.

8. The Chocolate Creme Brulee at La Regalade.

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com

3. The Chocolate Risotto at Bis Moreno: Okay, are you noticing a trend?  I'm not sure if this is still on the menu, but it was chocolate heaven the last time we dined here.

Sorry to have to tell you because it appears that you don't know, but Bis Moreno has closed :sad:

Carla

1. I'll order the "heaviest dessert" on the menu (I make it point of asking the waiter), and -

2. I rarely mix fruit and dessert.  So far as I'm concerned, they're two completely different things.  Nothing ruins chocolate like a tart raspberry coulis.  Of course, there are occasional exceptions to the rule (a good banana cake comes to mind).

That being said, here are my favorite desserts in Vancouver in no particular order -

1. The Date(Toffee) Pudding at Caffe de Medici:  What was that I said about not mixing fruit and dessert?  Well, to be honest, I avoided this dessert whenever I visited UNTIL a friend ordered it and insisted I try some.  Needless to say, I'm a convert to this rich, sweet dessert and now never miss the opportunity to order it when I dine at Medici.  Tip: Order it with an extra scoop of ice cream.

2. The Chocolate Lava Cake at La Terrazza: Rich doesn't begin to describe this decadent dessert which resembles a chocolate souffle.  But crack the top and the pool of dark and milk chocolate is revealed.  Very different (and, in my opinion, much better) that the warm chocolate-center cakes served at Blue Water and Cioppino's).  Tip: Like the Date/Toffee Pudding, this one benefits from an extra scoop of vanilla ice cream.

3. The Chocolate Risotto at Bis Moreno: Okay, are you noticing a trend?  I'm not sure if this is still on the menu, but it was chocolate heaven the last time we dined here.

4. The Stilton Cheesecake at Senses: Home of the best pastries in Vancouver and this curious but delicious offering.  I picked one up on a lark, but its unique flavor totally won me over.  It makes me long for the Gorgonzola Creme Brulee they used to serve at C Restaurant.

5. The Pecan Pie a la Mode at Memphis Blues: My favorite pie at my favorite rib-joint in town.

6. The Thomas Haas Signature Chocolate Bar at Diva at the Met: A crispy chocolate fondant with caramel, chocolate sorbet, and a sparkle cookie.  What better way to wind down after a foie gras burger?

7. Deep Fried Mars Bar/Snickers Bar/Smores at Wing Nuts: If you're worried about the calories, I'd suggest skipping the wings and just having dessert.

8. The Chocolate Creme Brulee at La Regalade.

Wow...what a post! Suddenly my dinner seems so...lacking in chocolate :hmmm: .

Think I need to remedy that

And I've found most things can benefit from another scoop of ice cream!

**Melanie**

2. I rarely mix fruit and dessert.  So far as I'm concerned, they're two completely different things.  Nothing ruins chocolate like a tart raspberry coulis.  Of course, there are occasional exceptions to the rule (a good banana cake comes to mind).

I think you are my other half. :shock: I don't go so far as asking the waiter--I just make a guess at what the "heaviest" dessert is. You're hardcore. If you look back oh...8 pages? I commented on how I dislike raspberry and chocolate (although I am not adverse to raspberry notes in chocolate. I mentioned something about disliking the tart taste of raspberries cutting through the rich chocolate. I also noted something about not minding banana/chocolate, since banana is creamy and rather mild-tasting. So strange. :smile:

1. The Date(Toffee) Pudding at Caffe de Medici:  What was that I said about not mixing fruit and dessert?  Well, to be honest, I avoided this dessert whenever I visited UNTIL a friend ordered it and insisted I try some.  Needless to say, I'm a convert to this rich, sweet dessert and now never miss the opportunity to order it when I dine at Medici. 

I love sticky toffee pudding--it's one of my favourite desserts since I had it first at Parkside. I make it at home now. Is there something that makes the version served at Caffe de Medici extra special?

4. The Stilton Cheesecake at Senses: Home of the best pastries in Vancouver and this curious but delicious offering. 

I like this dessert too--I think I have pictures of it in this thread. Have you tried the recipe from Epicurious? It's entirely different from the one they have at Sen5es...but dare I say it's better? (The Sen5es recipe on Epicurious is denser--I also increased the amount of blue cheese and used a toasted pecan/graham crust, which was much tastier and fresher than the almond sable I think they had at Sen5es.)

OMIGOD ME TOO! :wub: In fact, I went through at least five different pecan pie recipes last year trying to find something similar to this pie!!!

6. The Thomas Haas Signature Chocolate Bar at Diva at the Met: A crispy chocolate fondant with caramel, chocolate sorbet, and a sparkle cookie.  What better way to wind down after a foie gras burger?

I also enjoy this quite a bit! :wub:

Sorry to have to tell you because it appears that you don't know, but Bis Moreno has closed  :sad:

When did it close?! Did he move back to Prince George (I believe it was). That's a real shame. It was a pricey but excellent restaurant. :sad:

Unfortunately, quite recently. Mentioned here.

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

- Okay, I've got goosebumps.  I've gone back and re-read your posts on this thread.  Ling, if you're ever to open a dessert establishment, you can count on me as a regular. 

Sweet. I have my first customer! :biggrin:

- To be honest, my experience with toffee puddings is somewhat limited.  I haven't tried it anywhere else in town.  Recommendations?

I believe I've only had it at Parkside, and after that I've fiddled around with a few recipes. For me, the secret is in the sauce--I like a lot of butter and whipping cream, and not too much sugar. It has to be really, really thick and rich.

Sticky toffee pudding at Brix is quite nice. I've not had it at Parkside, oddly enough...there's a lot of cream in the sauce? hmmm.

I am still searching for the date-free, individual ramekin version I made at Christmas several years ago...I've lost the damn recipe. But it was tastier than most of the ones I've sampled in the England and Scotland.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I've always thought the HSG GBP was an excellent take on sticky toffee pudding - especially if you let the caramel sauce that comes with it soak into the gingerbread. It has the warm comfort of a sticky toffee pudding - but with the bite and gentle heat of deep ginger flavors.