• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Afterburner

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Last night's desserts were:

- a delicious cheese course with figs and bread

- Sugar Pumpkin Tarte Tatin with Pine Mushroom creme anglaise

- R&B Brewing Spent Grain spice cake with dark caramel and whipped creme fraiche

..and when I got home, I polished off the last slice of my birthday cake that I was saving for a friend. :shock: Oh well...I had a craving for something chocolate-y

For a class project, I have to research the origins of Shoo-fly Pie and bring in samples on Thursday. Sounds painfully sweet!

chocolate cupcake and frozen cookie dough (gingersnap)

mmm....!

This week we had a pan of pecan-coconut-chocolate-chip blondies, the recipe from the Richard Sax book being discussed in another thread. It calls for white chocolate chips, which I don't really care for, so I used regular chocolate chips instead. Yummy and now gone.

Orange-Cardamom cupcakes. They're pretty ho-hum.

Edited by Patrick S (log)

Blueberry pie! I used Rose Levy Beranbaum's recipe for two-crust blueberry pie in The Pie and Pastry Bible.

Her Flaky Cream-Cheese Crust I had made countless times before, but this time, instead of placing the butter pieces and flour mixture in a Ziploc bag before rolling the butter into flakes, I just dumped the whole thing onto my granite countertop and rolled it right there. I got the same flaky pastry as always, and I avoided throwing one more piece of plastic into the landfill.

Well, shoo-fly pie is pretty gross.  :blink:

Especially when the shoo-flies are out of season, and all you can get is canned.

Well, shoo-fly pie is pretty gross.  :blink:

Especially when the shoo-flies are out of season, and all you can get is canned.

:laugh:

I had a monster of a date square today. I swear, it was like a 4" x 4" cube! It was really difficult to eat.

Choklit cake. Though I screwed up the frosting and used the wrong amount of butter, so ended up with not enough to cover the whole cake. Oops. So now I must eat my mistake. Boo, hoo, hoo.

I'm way behind. The most notable things we had in the last couple of weeks were:

-Flourless chocolate cake from the Saveur Italian book: Turned out great despite despite the poor recipe instructions. (The recipe lists 13 TBS butter but only 12 is actually needed for the cake. The remaining TBS is for greasing the pan.) I especially liked the lovely crust that forms on the top of this cake. My daughter's reaction when tasting this cake was, "Brownie!" She was right, too. The ultimate brownie.

-CI's blueberry buckle recipe, frozen from a previous baking: A second tasting confirms my opinion that this recipe is way too sweet with the suggested amount of topping.

-Birthday cake for my 7-year old daughter: Two layers each of choc. fudge cake and cocoa dacquoise discs filled white choc. mousse and raspberry BC. The single layer of raspberry BC was definitely the highlight of this cake. In the future, I'll up the raspberry quotient with a gelee layer or raspberry mousse.

still workin' on those chocolate cakes I made last week and decided not to use for my birthday cake...only 1 cake left!

I ate it straight from the freezer. There's a lot of fat in the recipe so it was still quite soft.

Individual shortcakes with lemon mousse (actually, Italian meringue folded with lemon curd) in place of whipped cream, strawberries, and blueberries. Yum!

pre-dinner: Portuguese cream tarts

post-dinner: brownies...this is the first time I've been allowed to bake in A WEEK! My mom requested that I take a week off from baking b/c she's sick of the smell of chocolate that permeates the house day in and day out. :rolleyes:

Edited by Ling (log)

...she's sick the smell of chocolate that permeates the house...

Are those words even allowed to go next to each other in the English language? :huh:

^I know! I can't believe we're related!!! :raz:

A Skinny Cow fudge pop. I looooove them, even though it's total sacrilege.

Also made fudge brownies for my colleague (it's his birthday tomorrow), and I'm having major trouble resisting them. They smell AWESOME. :wub:

Cheese pie! I scaled down my cheesecake recipe by 3/5 and baked it in a pie plate lined with a pastry crust. So much easier and quicker than baking a large cheesecake in a springform for more than an hour only to have to refrigerate for 12 more hours before enjoying. This cheese pie was wonderful just slightly warm.

Crepe filled with grilled pineapple, mango, and banana and topped with run anglaise. The fruit was good, but the crepe was a little rubbery...

Carrot-Walnut muffin. I had a lot of carrots to use up. And they can be breakfast tomorrow, too.

I think I ate like 7 or 8 brownies today.

And a bar of chocolate.

:wacko: