• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

COOKING UNDER FIRE from PBS: April 27 premiere

Gifted Gourmet

I don?t know why non-industry people, ?foodies,? are so infatuated with every pretty boy graduate from an overpriced trade school with a pair of tongs and a cable show.

Golly, Mr. Ruhlman, are you the "pretty boy graduate from an overpriced trade school"?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I don?t know why non-industry people, ?foodies,? are so infatuated with every pretty boy graduate from an overpriced trade school with a pair of tongs and a cable show.

Golly, Mr. Ruhlman, are you the "pretty boy graduate from an overpriced trade school"?

I don't know. Didn't Bourdain graduate from CIA or something? And the girls seem to think he's pretty hot. Michael has wholesome good looks. As for pretty, is there a doubt who the prettiest is? I'm tempted to say Chef Fabio, but I respect Michael's request to stop taking cheap shots.

Cmon it's a TV show. First season. Some things could be better, but it's not the end of the world. Mostly I wish it were longer. I hope for a second season.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

Michael has wholesome good looks.

I thought he was very pretty!

So does my wife.

But she tends to prefer darker men. That's why she married a brownie.

Back on topic. How about that Yannick? :raz:

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

I don't know. Didn't Bourdain graduate from CIA or something? And the girls seem to think he's pretty hot. Michael has wholesome good looks. As for pretty, is there a doubt who the prettiest is? I'm tempted to say Chef Fabio, but I respect Michael's request to stop taking cheap shots.

Cmon it's a TV show. First season. Some things could be better, but it's not the end of the world. Mostly I wish it were longer. I hope for a second season.

Frankly, I'd be pleased if someone called me 'pretty' regardless as to what came after it.

And yes, it is just a TV show, and a darned entertaining one. I, too, am enjoying it. It definitely beats much of what else is on. And, as I said earlier, I even ordered the book and am eagerly awaiting its arrival.

So, 'pretty boys' notwithstanding, most of us out here are rooting for you! And I particularly want to thank you for coming to eGullet to discuss it all with us. Really adds to the fun.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

We found out that the show was to be aired on Saturday night (Sunday morning, I guess) at 3:00 am. Naturally, we taped it and watched the results with breakfast this morning. The hardest part of the annoying pbs reschedule was avoiding this thread to keep from finding out who was 86'd.

The look on Michael's face when he tasted Yannick's terrine was priceless--old stone face looked like he was eating--well, you know--cat food?

L.

I'm fine with pretty, just don't fuck with my knives.

Gah!  Its fundraising month on our PBS station (Dallas) so it'll be at least 3 weeks before the normal schedule comes back.

At least with KERA, it is mostly the weekends that are really messed up. I believe Cooking Under Fire will still be on Wednesday night (my cable box shows it on the listings but I don't know if it accounts for their fundraising versus regular schedule..)

"Instead of orange juice, I'm going to use the juice from the inside of the orange."- The Brilliant Sandra Lee

http://www.matthewnehrlingmba.com

Very odd, this show is no longer being listed on my local PBS schedule. And there's no fundraising going on either. Oh well, maybe they had to interrupt the series for that latest John Tess extravaganza or something. :sigh:

At least with KERA, it is mostly the weekends that are really messed up.  I believe Cooking Under Fire will still be on Wednesday night (my cable box shows it on the listings but I don't know if it accounts for their fundraising versus regular schedule..)

Ah, good point. Thanks. I just got used to it being part of the Cooking Block on Saturday afternoons.

At least with KERA, it is mostly the weekends that are really messed up.  I believe Cooking Under Fire will still be on Wednesday night (my cable box shows it on the listings but I don't know if it accounts for their fundraising versus regular schedule..)

Ah, good point. Thanks. I just got used to it being part of the Cooking Block on Saturday afternoons.

I hate to say this but I just went to set my reminder last night and it shows some John Tesh crap. It looks like they updated the evenings this week with all fundraisers. Why can't they just sell ads like every other good business.

"Instead of orange juice, I'm going to use the juice from the inside of the orange."- The Brilliant Sandra Lee

http://www.matthewnehrlingmba.com

I'm enjoying the show, but like others have mentioned on this thread, I would like to add my vote to the others who would like to see more of the cooking and hear more about the contestant's thought processes about the dishes and also the judges' deliberations. The camera pans very fast over the actual work and lingers on their faces. Or, in the earlier episode where they go to the farmer's market, I would have liked to see some of the discussions the teams had and why they picked the ingredients they picked. Still, the best new show for me this season.

It is pledge week at TPT (Twin Cities Public TV). So instead of Cooking Under Fire they had some Time Management Guru. Their schedule for the next show appears to be on June 19th, but is the Terrine show, therefore a repeat...

Alex

last night was a rerun here also. this for me wasn't bad because i missed all episodes other than the terrine one (sorry this show was up against lost and i recently lost my dvr... long bitter story anyway) so i actually got to see the wine one. and honestly... i could see yannick on his way out from that one... unless it was clever editing... his misunderstanding of wine was pretty horrifying... combine that with the disaster of a terrine. my prediction of the next one to go is the short young guy (i mean come on, seriously i am a wine newbie and i know enough not to combine wine with asparagus *AND* artichokes.)

but i am going to chime in and say chef english is not bothering me horribly here, i like ming less here than i ever have but still not disliking him, and (this is going to sound like a suckup since he is in this forum but its not) i really like the way ruhlman comes across here. but my biggest complaint out of all of this is the one that has been repeated here way too much... this show is just too short. they have to do the reality show crap and the 'dramatic' cutting of someone. i understand that. but that seriously cuts into the cooking time. the thing i find interesting is since pbs doesn't air commercials that means this show is only 10 or maybe 15 minutes shorter than the average prime-time hourlong. which if i am wishing for another 30 uninterrupted minutes i must really enjoy this show.

Very odd, this show is no longer being listed on my local PBS schedule. And there's no fundraising going on either. Oh well, maybe they had to interrupt the series for that latest John Tess extravaganza or something. :sigh:

I looked at the pbs website, it's listed to begin from the first episode 6/18 in the san francisco area.

• 2 weeks later...

no one's been more frustrated than i--my dear old mum in west palm doesn't even know when or where she can watch the show. pledge weeks are over now and I'm told by the producer, john rieber, that it should resume its normal schedule starting this wednesday.

He writes:

This will clear up confusion regarding the schedule of "Cooking Under Fire."  We always knew we had two rerun weeks, due to local PBS fundraising.  As a result, the next new episode of "Cooking Under   Fire" will premiere as planned on Wednesday, June 22.  Below is all the information you need to enjoy the show, including information about KCET's scheduling.  They have moved us to 10:30p, which actually resulted in higher ratings for us. 

Wednesday, June 15 - rerun of episode 7, "Mastering The Terrine" - if you missed it in LA, tune in at 10:30p and see this one, it's terrific.  The finalists are on to Miami, where they have to make a terrine.  Ming and Todd also cook for them, and there is alot of local color as two of our finalists take an impromptu dip into the Atlantic.  Our finalists now are:  Katie, Katsuji, Autumn, John Paul, Matt, Sara and Yannick...

Wednesday, June 22 - premiere of episode #8 - Cooking For The Common Man.  Join Guest Chef Michelle Bernstein as she takes our finalists to a cubano sandwich stand, then they are put into two teams, where they must make a family-style meal for the judges.  Great drama between the teams!

Wednesday, June 29 - premiere of episode #9 - One Fish, One Hour, Three Ways.  Guest Chef Norman Van Aken meets our finalists at the Miami waterfront to buy fresh fish, then it's back to his restaurant to cook one fish three different ways in one hour.  GREAT show! 

After this, our final four head to NY for episode 10 (July 6), and the big finale, episodes 11 and 12 back to back on July 13th.  A BIG surprise, so don't miss them!

I hope this helps you enjoy the show, and thanks again to everyone for supporting Cooking Under Fire!

Michael,

I wrote to PBS/Cooking Under Fire. And to prove it, here's the note:

<<

I can't believe it! THREE WEEKS go by and not only have we missed the Terrine Episode you are touting on your web site, what are the chances of us ever seeing it?

I am unable to comprehend why you would imagine that people who contribute during your tedious Pledge Drives wouldn't find this program to their liking. You seem to be of the impression all the Donors care to watch is old shows of dead people singing (I'm sorry, Ella, but you have to admit, dead is dead). We considered watching one of the shows you pre-empted Cooking Under Fire with, but shut it off in protest.

Please understand, due to the dumbing-down and turn towards idiocy of a certain cable channel that purports to be about food, PBS is now the only real choice for those of us who enjoy programs regarding food and cooking. When you are so cavelier about your food programs, tossing them aside in order to put on something else, you are alienating a large group of intelligent, creative, and sometimes even well-off citizenry. And whether we donate or not, our tax dollars are just as leafy green and bankable as anyone else's.

Angela R. Alaimo

<<

Dang. I think I misspelled a word. The print was around #1.5 size font and almost unreadable, so forgive me.

"I'm not looking at the panties, I'm looking at the vegetables!" --RJZ

Dude! I just got an email from a real person at CUH/PBS. Doesn't make me feel a whole lot better about missing Yannick's Terrine Stew, but it's nice to know they read the note.

A

"I'm not looking at the panties, I'm looking at the vegetables!" --RJZ

caught the episode with Chef Michelle Bernstein. liked the show a lot, load better than hearing Gordon Ramsay cuss every five seconds. with the contestants, i like the girl katie best, seems cool so far. hey michael, who do you think from the remaining contestants, has the chops to work in a very reputable kitchen??

***Spoilers below***

All right, that was good. The editing made it look like Matthew was gone from the beginning. Mr. Ruhlman comments and faces really made it look like that. However, although the show did not portray it, seems that he put it together with the girls at the end of the cooking process. Our only hint was Chef Bernstein stating that she like that team's food the most.

I think sometimes is difficult for the contestants to see what the judges are really looking for. I thought the role of JP was to follow, no questions ask, especially with Katie management approach. Nonetheless, this was not good enough and he did not help the team, 86.

This one was a tough one, I did not expect this outcome. So I guess that is good for the show.

Has anybody read Katsuji bio?

Anyway, Fish Market next week. Looking forward to it since I love fish, especially seeing somebody dealing with whole fish.

Alex