• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

COOKING UNDER FIRE from PBS: April 27 premiere

Gifted Gourmet

Is there hope that a possible second season will give more time for a fuller story.

I am enjoying the series. And some of the little temper tantrums and attitude problems by the players are things that I am quite familiar with, especially while breaking in newbies. It grates on me a little that chef mina's salient observations were edited out and I unfortunately formed a half assed judgement based on what I saw, which is not well fleshed out story.

An interesting point to me is the fact that this is all ostensibly a competition to work for English however Ming is the one that is shown speaking and taking a leading role. As a viewer I find that a bit confusing. Why is English's comments edited out? Why does Ming get so many more "lines"?

I have only two complaints about this program. The already mentioned time crunch. The other that KQED is showing it only mid saturday afternoon. I've enjoyed watching the process and the people's personalities unfold.

While assisting with a beginning knife skills class I did mention to the students that they were already dicing better than a few in the first episode. Those who had seen it got a chuckle. Those who hadn't were going to be tuning in.

Smackdown!

Got to say Ming's response to Yannick's salt comment startled me. I don't have any way to see it again but it seemed to me he said the dish tasted too salty to him. Getting all peeved about it made the judges look insecure. Tell the lowly cook the recipe's the way it is and -- that's it. If you really want him/her to be a better cook, "suggest" they go figure out why.

It's been said before -- working in a kitchen is like the military. Shut up and take orders.

As a customer though who has eaten in "name" restaurants, a little less genuflecting and a little more check-and-balance might have prevented some disappointing dishes. Just saying.

All in all, I really like this show. It's a refreshing change from the psychotic narcissism of other competitive cooking shows, and the cloying sweetness of many how-to programs.

Heh -- like to see Ming talk to the cameras that way on his own show. Better yet, Sara Moulton.

My fantasy? Easy -- the Simpsons versus the Flanders on Hell's Kitchen.

It's a refreshing change from the psychotic narcissism of other competitive cooking shows, and the cloying sweetness of many how-to programs.

A hearty and honestly felt AMEN, Sistah Ingrid! I, too, like it more and more over time ... :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

the phyllo crust was excellent--light and crisp, not heavy.  Mina lets phyllo sit and dry out completely and breaks it up.  it works.

It looked great to me. In fact I ordered the companion book, Cooking Under Fire, simply because I hope that recipe is in it.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

aha! but not on pbs.org will you find my killer pate en terrine recipe, from an up-coming, harrowing cliff-hanger of an episode....

But, aha, will I find it in the book I've already ordered?

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I keep rewinding Tivo to watch Todd English lick his dinner knife. Like watching an car crash, I tell ya.

Yeah, noticed that last night. I had to look away (but then I can't look at car crashes either).

Can you pee in the ocean?

I enjoyed the show once again. However I think that the limitation of time (1/2 hour) creates some problems with the editing. I would like to see more explanations on the wines and the dishes as well as more work in the kitchen. With an hour show, the audience could probably learn a few things, at least normal home cooks could. I did learn something about artichokes and wine, and a couple points on wine/food contrast.

I was impressed with some of the dishes created within 45 minutes. I would have like to see more of the ingredients available to them. Did they have dough already prepared? A few people had tarts...

It was difficult to see this time who was going to be 86s, although they were focusing too much on the guy that actually was. Nonetheless, a few people were way off on their dishes according to the judges.Next episode with Terrines is going to be interesting. So far the challenges are good. I am wondering if the finale would be a cook off in a Chef English restaurant with customers...

Anyway, good show once again.

Alex

I enjoyed the show once again. However I think that the limitation of time (1/2 hour) creates some problems with the editing. I would like to see more explanations on the wines and the dishes as well as more work in the kitchen. With an hour show, the audience could probably learn a few things, at least normal home cooks could. I did learn something about artichokes and wine, and a couple points on wine/food contrast.

I was impressed with some of the dishes created within 45 minutes. I would have like to see more of the ingredients available to them. Did they have dough already prepared? A few people had tarts...

It was difficult to see this time who was going to be 86s, although they were focusing too much on the guy that actually was. Nonetheless, a few people were way off on their dishes according to the judges.Next episode with Terrines is going to be interesting. So far the challenges are good. I am wondering if the finale would be a cook off in a Chef English restaurant with customers...

Anyway, good show once again.

Alex

A while back in this thread someone hoped this endeavor would not be "American Idol with a saute station."

That was before the show aired, and at that time I thought this was a very good prediction. That is exactly how TV and Film folks think. It is also the language of the "pitch."

Lo and behold that is exactly what we are seeing.

This is not a show for foodies it is for the masses. PBS is not much different than ABC,CBS or NBC or the Food Network for that matter. Ever wonder why the contestants on Idol are not particularly original or really that good? (my apologies to you Clay Aiken fans)--the real drama is in the criticism and the fact that there needs to be an "everyman" identity factor ("yeah I can sing almost as good as that") combined with the possibility of failure.

The selection of the contestants is way more important than the celebrity/hosts and success of the show will depend upon the producers ability to pick the right combination of personalities.

(just like "Survivor"). it's really not aboput the cooking!

The show is "scripted"/edited for maximum appeal to the broadest audience possible. (duh)

Just look at what's coming:

"Hells Kitchen" with Gordon Ramsey

sounds original no?

Anyway--Cooking Under Fire is entertaining for what it is. It has the right mix of sociopaths and egos and the potential for failure and humiliation some (culinary B and D), throw in a touch of technical stuff--"It's got it all!"

As for the T. English comments--I am almost tempted to defend him (as if he needs it) "gee it's hard being good looking" but that sounds a lot like "gee modelling is such hard work!"

I must say that English's cooking is over the top mediterranean. That is The dishes always sound good but when eating one you wish the chef had left out two or three ingredients. (talk about busy cuisine).

Sort of Emeril for "snobby masses".

I admire both for their success.

and their "devil may Care" approach to garlic.

It will be fun to see if Ramsey is complex enough (or the producers allow him to be) to sustain his version of culinary "Monster Garage" (hey how about "Monster Kitchen" ...er sorry that's already part of "Monster House"--gee it's really hard being original!

ps

remember that kid in school who would eat anything on a dare?

"Hey Mikey--see that half eaten baby ruth in the ground over there...."

Well he grew up to be more successful than all of us put together he became ....Anthony Bourdain!!!!

who knew????

sounds original no?

Anyway--Cooking Under Fire is entertaining for what it is. It has the right mix of sociopaths and egos and the potential for failure and humiliation some (culinary B and D), throw in a touch of technical stuff--"It's got it all!"

It will be fun to see if Ramsey is complex enough (or the producers allow him to be) to sustain his version of culinary "Monster Garage" (hey how about "Monster Kitchen" ...er sorry that's already part of "Monster House"--gee it's really hard being original!

"Hell's Kitchen" is a little more original, Ramsay did it in England about a year ago. Personally I would have preferred they copy the original a little more. But then again I'm a brat and would have enjoyed watching Ramsay make D-list celebrities cry. I completely expect the American version to be heavy on the cheese factor. Wonder if any of the contestants will try to form alliances? They always try that, no matter show, no matter how stupid it seems.

Anyway. I'm enjoying "Cooking Under Fire" even if my local PBS started this show two weeks later than everyone else. I do agree that it needs to be longer. Half hour may have been easier to sell but it's not really allowing us to care about the contestants much because we're not seeing them enough.

What I thought was funny was that during the wine descriptions, the chefs mentioned Pinot Gris with ceviche, and Riesling with foie gras. Then they of course gave the highest marks to the person who had....pinot gris with ceviche and riesling with foie gras. So okay, it's good to reward students for listening, but it was sort of amusing for Ming to say something like "wow, the foie really works with the riesling" during tasting when he had pretty much suggested it in the first place. Or maybe the editing of the show makes it more obvious than it was in real life.

The children were sorry to see Russell go, but after he set the stove on fire and let someone else (Ming) put it out, and was working on a pile of filth at his station it wasn't hard to see why he had to go. We are cheering for Katy, as she's from Kentucky and she seems ready and able to open a can of whup-ass whenever necessary.

Did everyone notice Yannick's sunglasses were gone? :cool:

And Katsuji managed to keep his big mouth shut. :laugh: He might make it thru another episode.

Angela

"I'm not looking at the panties, I'm looking at the vegetables!" --RJZ

sounds original no?

"Hell's Kitchen" is a little more original, Ramsay did it in England about a year ago. Personally I would have preferred they copy the original a little more. But then again I'm a brat and would have enjoyed watching Ramsay make D-list celebrities cry. I completely expect the American version to be heavy on the cheese factor. Wonder if any of the contestants will try to form alliances? They always try that, no matter show, no matter how stupid it seems.

Anyway. I'm enjoying "Cooking Under Fire" even if my local PBS started this show two weeks later than everyone else. I do agree that it needs to be longer. Half hour may have been easier to sell but it's not really allowing us to care about the contestants much because we're not seeing them enough.

You may have hit on a flaw in "Cooking Under..."

As I noted the real key to these shows are the contestants and their personalities drive the whole thing!

Half hour may not be enouh!

Loved your comment re: alliances.

I do know Ramsey did this in the UK --it is really hard determining the chicken and the egg factor in who was first with these efforts. (it is fun though)

Did Jamie's show precede Gordons? I remember seeing some episodes of a look at him trying to open his latest (or one of his) venture with underpriviledged cooking students.? (I recall it was interesting--lots of drama and Jamie was quite the anti Gordon in his approach to them).

also

maybe you can help my failing memory: I recall a show (I believe it was PBS) about a Chef in the UK (he was Black with a lilting--Carribean? accent) had a beautiful wife and they ran a very French restaurant. A comedy (I think I recall a laugh track) along the lines of Fawltey Towers?

I really loved it and can not for the life of me recall the name. I would love to get it on DVD's!!!!

I knew that one isn't supposed to serve wine and asparagus together, but was wondering if anyone knew the scientific reason for it. I'm wondering the same in terms of the artichokes. Do they share a similar chemical that interacts poorly with the alcohol or tannins in wine?

JohnL, the show was called Chef! I tried to watch a couple times but just didn't find it very interesting. A couple on the boards here have said it was good so if I run across it again I'll give it another go.

JohnL, the show was called Chef!  I tried to watch a couple times but just didn't find it very interesting.  A couple on the boards here have said it was good so if I run across it again I'll give it another go.

Bless you Genny!!!

I really feel dumb! ("CHEF"- how could I have forgotten that!)

I think being a UK endeavor the humor was veddy British!--people generally either hate or love it.

There is also the very real (and frightening possiblility that the show is not as good as I remember!

(what was the name ????) lol

many thanks for the response!

JohnL, the show was called Chef!  I tried to watch a couple times but just didn't find it very interesting.  A couple on the boards here have said it was good so if I run across it again I'll give it another go.

The first two (of three) series were funny; there was more "kitchen humor," and Gareth (Lenny Henry) came across as a Ramsayesque - if somewhat less, let's call it coarse - two-star martinet. The third series got to be a little too soap-opera for my taste.

The Mrs always compared my kitchen personality to that of the eponymous character...

Charlie

Walled Lake, Michigan

The first two (of three) series were funny; there was more "kitchen humor," and Gareth (Lenny Henry) came across as a Ramsayesque - if somewhat less, let's call it coarse - two-star martinet. The third series got to be a little too soap-opera for my taste.

The Mrs always compared my kitchen personality to that of the eponymous character...

Thanks all!

I also posted a query in the UK section--also got some great info.

You might want to head over there!

We should probably get this thread back to the topic of "Cooking Under Fire"!

I knew that one isn't supposed to serve wine and asparagus together, but was wondering if anyone knew the scientific reason for it.  I'm wondering the same in terms of the artichokes.  Do they share a similar chemical that interacts poorly with the alcohol or tannins in wine?

i believe it's called cynarin. makes things (even water) taste oddly sweet (only to a certain segment of the population, but a significant percentage). throws off the balance of flavors.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

IMHO, just like Iron Chef, sometimes I enjoy reading these comments more than the actual show..

I'll probably be flamed for this but the two I hope win are Katie, for her cut through the BS, NYC attitude.. There is no doubt she would work her ass off for anyone..

Second is Autumn- for her respectful attitude in the kitchen and her ability to work under any condition without complaining (mostly..)

As long as the prima donnas Katsuji and Yannick don't win, I'll be happy.

The big winner on this, however, is PBS who is reminding people they have better cooking shows than the Food Network (IMHO…) I’m glad to see something fresh come from them..

Edited by Mnehrling (log)

"Instead of orange juice, I'm going to use the juice from the inside of the orange."- The Brilliant Sandra Lee

http://www.matthewnehrlingmba.com