• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Soup Topic (2005–2006)

maggiethecat

what about a vegetable beef soup using carmelized onions, carrots, celery (if you can tolerate it), the ground up beef, potatoes, garlic, some thyme and some peas? add in some bread and a green salad - ohh....or if you have good greens - mustard, kale, chard- can you chiffonade them and add to the soup?

it is supposed to be quite cold tonight so when i get home from work tomorrow i'm planning on a white bean, pasta and greens soup using some squash, onions and some mystery greens(maybe mezzaluna?) i got from the farmers market last weekend. because they are organic and fresh i find they do keep well. i am adding some raw milk cheddar and the rest of the loaf of an olive bread for our dinner.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

. . .

Kerry's idea re: green chile thing is a good one. Here's a recipe that I worked up after a trip through New Mexico. It's based on the green chile I had at the El Rancho Hotel in Gallup and can be served with beans if desired (red beans, cooked, not refried beans).

. . .

Thanks for this. I did something based on your recipe using the ingredients I had on hand and it turned out very well.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 3 weeks later...

It's officially winter in some places - like here. After a long day and a slow drive home, I opened the fridge and freezer to see what I had. This is literally a cleaning out the produce drawer sort of soup.

gallery_25849_641_75608.jpg

I had 1/2 of a leek and 2/3 of an onion. Started slowly cooking them in a mix of canola oil and butter (I'm out of olive oil). Then I peeled and cut up the last carrot and celery rib - added them to the sweating onions, with some kosher salt and black pepper. Cook for a few minutes. Added about 1 liter of veg. stock and some water, brought it to a boil, then reduced to simmer. I had one russet and one red potato - both had seen better days - peeled and cubed. Added to the simmering pot. Roughly chopped the 1/2 cauliflower and set it aside until the potatoes were just tender. Added it along with a couple handfuls of frozen green and wax beans. I added the last 2-3 Tbsp. of cream in the fridge... then another 1/4 cup or so of half and half. It needed some thickening - a slurry of flour and the last of the 2%. Cook it out - thickened but still missing something. Shred the last 2 ounces of Swiss cheese and stir that in, toss in a couple of frozen cubes of basil and parley. Excellent.

Hit the spot - and I'm always pleased when a truly delicious dish comes from no planning and just seeing what's hanging out in the fridge..

Had duck carcasses left from the weekend. Made a stock with them and then made loads of wontons. Had wonton soup yesterday and now have lots of frozen wontons ready for quick and tasty lunches in the future.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

pouring rain here but still oddly warmish.

i wanted to do some vegetarian soup to go with some pumpernickel bread i did yesterday/today. had borrowed Deborah Madison's book from work so riffed off her lentil ministrone - french lentils, leek, white onion, yellow onion, the last shallot, garlic, bay leaves, parsley, thyme, tomato paste, vegetable stock and water. i have some pepe and some kale that will get added in the next few minutes to finish it.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

We made a big batch of chicken soup at work on Wednesday. And I really wanted soup, but I didn't want chicken soup. So I turned it into wonton soup and made it dinner Wednesday night. It was so good - really hit the spot :wub: .

(A little soy sauce was added after picture taking.)

gallery_25849_641_36998.jpg

We made a big batch of chicken soup at work on Wednesday.  And I really wanted soup, but I didn't want chicken soup.  So I turned it into wonton soup and made it dinner Wednesday night.  It was so good - really hit the spot  :wub: .

(A little soy sauce was added after picture taking.)

gallery_25849_641_36998.jpg

Damn, that looks good!

First, gorgeous soup, Pam!

Since I'm the Toliver of the Italian forum, I just wanted to draw your attention to this thread on Italian soups.

The LATimes recently panned the recipes in Fabio Trabocchi's new cookbook as not being very well adapted for the home cook, but do look at one of the most recent posts for the chestnut soup. I paraphrased and posted something perfect for this time of year when it has become easier to find fresh chestnuts in grocery stores than it used to be and there are sources for good peeled chestnuts. It is a glorious, rich soup.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

• 2 weeks later...

It's cheating, but red peppers weren't too expensive at the wholesale this week, so I bought a case. Yesterday I roasted 40 lbs. of peppers - today I peeled them and right now they're simmering in a pot with some other goodies. I'll take the immersion blender to them - and take 1 or 2 litres home with me!

last night was our traditional "night before thanksgiving"(ok- 2 nighs before this year) dinner - homemade manhattan clam chowder with oyster crackers.

this year i cheated and bought freshly shucked clams from my local fishmonger - 2 pints. sauteed half an onion in bacon fat, bay leaf, carrot, celery, potato cubes in the clam liquer and water. them chopped tomato. when the potato was just tender add the clams and turn off the heat.

took a pint to my neighbor for her mom and john has a pint and a half in the freezer for a future meal.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Yesterday, at about 4:30 PM I had one of those "there is no way I can wait until I get home tonight for dinner - I need something now" moments. So in my very fancy bowl I had some of the Roasted Red Pepper soup I made the day before. Garnish with soup croutons that my father keeps a container of on his desk. Tasty And Fun! :laugh:

gallery_25849_641_619.jpg

(yes, they're shaped like little fish)

• 2 weeks later...

In the last week, two batches of chicken soup (it's so freakishly cold here!) and one of Avgolemono (no picture of this one because it looks like white mush but tastes great!).

But from one of the chicken soups, including a couple of necks, some carrots, celery, rice & more of the soup croutons from about, just square (and called shkiday marak):

gallery_25849_641_16762.jpg

I came to this thread quite late, so forgive me if this has been discussed, but does anyone (Anna M) have a recipe for wontons? Everyone here is talking about tossing in wontons like they grow on the wonton tree . . . if only . . .

My household has become soup obsessed . . . cooking on the weekends, freezing for the week. I got my parter James Peterson's Splendid Soups and a Bamix immersion blender for Christmas. We just finished the last of the turkey soup, which to me is about as good as it gets.

I've got a pumpkin sitting around wanting to be something . . . I'm thinking pumpkin and green bean, kind of a riff on the gypsy soup recipe from the Moosewod, an exceedingly good recipe . . .

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in a chicken soup rut. But, I'm not complaining. I made a large pot on Sunday. The containers on the back left were taken off before I added the dill. They're for New Year's Eve Chinese Hot Pot. Some had rice added, others don't. Now I have a little stash in my freezer for when I'm craving it.
gallery_25849_641_7364.jpg

eta: I buy frozen wonton skins. Then I mix some ground chicken meat with mirin, soy, sesame oil, green onions and ginger. Last time I added some chopped mushrooms too.

Moderator note: This topic continues in The Soup Topic (20072012)

Edited by Mjx (log)