• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Soup Topic (2005–2006)

maggiethecat

I'd really love to find a good recipe for an asian chicken stock using star anise, ginger, etc.  I'd love to make some lighter asian soup, either chinese or thai.

A really nice version of Vietnamese Noodle Soup (Pho) can be found in The Best Recipe from Cooks Illustrated. I did the shrimp version and it was very nice.

If anyone has Cooking at Home with CIA, it has a drop dead Hot and Sour Thai Soup that rocks!!!

A rich chicken stock, pad thai noodles, thai seasonings... OMG yum!

"Anybody can make you enjoy the first bite of a dish, but only a real chef can make you enjoy the last.”

Francois Minot

I made some Vichyssoise yesterday. I've seen this made so many times on television, I didn't even look up a recipe. I sliced and cleaned 4 leeks, using the white through light green part only, sweated in a couple tablespoons of butter. Added about 1 lb peeled and diced potato (eastern white), 4 cups homemade chicken stock, simmered for about 30 minutes. Pureed, adding about 2 cups of low fat milk (yeah, yeah, I know, it's supposed to have cream, but I didn't have any cream and the potatoes thickened up the soup plenty), salt & pepper. The vitamix pureed it very smooth, so I didn't bother sieving it.

Tasted warm it was quite good. I added more salt than I normally would, so I hope it will be just as good cold.

• 2 weeks later...

made chicken stock on friday so now what to make with it....

it's cool and overcast here though luckily we don't have the snow some of you are getting - and it is likely to remain so through the week so something hearty and stew like - i have some barley and some baby dried limas so i do believe it will be a vegetable barley soup

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 3 weeks later...

hmmm.....

it seems we are falling a bit behind. in order to forward the progress i made a pot of Albondiags soup for eating and to send up to the mil. rice, ground sirloin, ground pork, flat leaf parsley, egg whites and white bread, carrots, garlic, tomato, carrots and broth.

i have to make more stock - vege and white chicken.

will post the tomato rice soup that won the nj countryside first place in recipe gullet as soon as i can(though since i am dexclining the studio shoot they may disqualify me - c'est la vie)

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I made Hot and Sour soup from Cooking Light last night. Turned out pretty well - I added 2 tablespoons of mirin for a little sweetness. I've yet to find the perfect hot and sour soup recipe.

I'm looking for some spring and early summer soup ideas. My husband is not a fan of cold soups, so things like cold cucumber or avocado or gazpacho are out. Corn won't be in the farmer's market for awhile yet.

suzi: I have yet to find that perfect hot and sour combo either, but please plug on and keep us informed.

I am just a dismal failure: I thought that I really could keep up with this resolution, but I've fallen desperately short. Mea Culpa. But we did thaw some long-ago minestrone from the freezer and make jack/jalapeno grilled cheese sandwiches. What a super supper on a lazy summer night.

And yes, tell me your all about summer soups.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

i had a book signing on sunday and one coming up this sunday, so I made a vat of the previously mentioned blueberry soup and one of chocolate soup (dessert soup). Also made a quick onion soup for dinner last night (though the onions were underdone because it was late and I wouldn't wait for them). Thinking of a lemon/rice/chicken soup for tomorrow or the day after and something asian... maybe even a hotpot with chicken broth...we'll see.

as for spring soup idea:

asparagus soup

asparagus/corn egg drop soup

a light vegetable soup with spring vegetables and pesto

something with zucchini - zucchini soup? :)

still love the carrot dill - easy, springy with tons of fresh dill

for a meal soup, something like a saffron fish soup

the low tonight is -4 C, so I'm not really in the spring mind-frame...

Edited by Pam R (log)

other base ingredients for late spring/early summer soups:

fennel

aspargus and crab

fresh fava beans

peas

green garlic/garlic

carrot (as mentioned)

artichoke

spinach

leek

salmon

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I made a clean out the fridge soup the other day that turned into a Portuguese Kale and Chorizo soup. Diced up a couple small sausages, browned them in a saucepan. Remove about half of the sausage to add back at the end. Added a diced stalk of celery, 1 diced carrot, 4 cloves of garlic, not too finely minced. Sweated. Added about 12 oz somewhat concentrated chicken stock and 2 cups of water. Salt & Pepper. 1 diced potato. Simmer for 20 minutes, covered. Added some leftover sauteed kale and the reserved sausage, simmer for another 5 minutes. Add two eggs and poach in the soup for 5 minutes and serve in a bowl with large crusty bread croutons.

Other than Jason thinking the kale should have been added at the beginning of the 20 minute simmer (I didn't want it cooked to death), it was a very good lunch.

So, again, no specific recipe, but a reminder that if you have some stock in the fridge or freezer, some miscellaneous leftovers can make a very good soup.

• 3 weeks later...

People, we're not even 1/2-way through the year - where are the soups??

I made a melon gezpacho last week.

Right now I have the oldy, but goody, chicken soup simmering. I've come down with a spring-cold, and it's all that I want for dinner. Golden broth, chunks of chicken, carrot, celery, rice and egg noodles. Lots of dill. (Parsnip and onion in there for flavor).

Smells great and I'm ready to dig in.

Anybody else still making soup or has the nice-weather arrived so the soup stopped?

No soups recently but a close relative has been in hospital and has been eating lots of soups and I am thinking they will go down well for him and keep him nourished so my mind is going back into soup mode. I have lots of stock in the freezer and a few ideas. Will report back if this comes to fruition in the next few days.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

started dinner with roasted red pepper soup. damp and drizzly here today so when we got back home from checking on some bluebird boxes roasted 3 red peppers. sauteed 1/2 and onion chopped fine, 2 carrots chopped fine and 3 shallots in some olive oil. added 1 baking potato peeled and chopped. about 5 cups of stock, 1 bay leaf and 1 tsp hot hungarian paprika. simmered 20 minutes. threw in 2/3 of the peeled peppers and about 1 tbsp sugar. simmered 5 minutes, added about 1/4 cup of balsamic and tarragon vinegar, white pepper and a pinch of salt and whizzed up all the peppers and half of the other veg and stock. returned the mix to the pot and added the remaining roasted peppers coarsely chopped.

when we finished dinner and i portioned out the leftovers, i added the remaining sauteed spinach, white beans and roasted garlic to the leftover soup, poured into two containers and froze it.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I made some Vichyssoise yesterday.

\

Creme fraiche or sour creme are a nice addition in leu of cream. The tang is especially refreshing when youre serving it cold. Pureed watercress gives a nice peppery flavor along with a bright green color.

M

NYC

"Get mad at them eggs!"

in Cool Hand Luke

I had soup today: a fava vichyssoise. Full details (including picture) are on the Weight Watchers thread.

If you want to keep the fava bean green color: Blanch and shock. Peel if you haven't already and blend with a small amount of hot liquid until smooth then pour into a bowl over ice. STir iit in to the soup at the last second. Kind of a pain for home cooking but...

M

NYC

"Get mad at them eggs!"

in Cool Hand Luke

I made some Vichyssoise yesterday.

I was thinking about this today, as it is only June6 and already blazing hot here in Charlotte.

So tell me, egullteers, what are your favorite cold soups. Does anyone have a fantastic cucumber soup recipe to share?

• 2 weeks later...

Last night was my interpretation of a chilled red bell pepper soup. Used part of a can of coconut milk left over from fish curry, chicken stock, onion, and dried red pepper. Garnished with Thai basil and homemade croutons. So simple but so yummy.

Burgundy makes you think silly things, Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them ---

Brillat-Savarin

• 2 weeks later...

two soups today - one for dinner tonight, one for tomorrow

mulligatawny for dinner tonight. it has been ages since i made this but wanted to use up some baked chicken breasts. saute the onion, carrots and garlic in some oil. add curry powder, salt and flour. stock and about 5 peeled and seeded tomatoes chunked up. simmer 30-45 minutes. whiz up half of the soup in a blender and add back to the pot. i'll finish it later by adding 1/2 cup nondairy creamer and the chicken then slooooooowwwwwllllyyyy reheat.

for tomorrow, which promises to be warmer and muggier than today, a carrot leek soup that i am letting cool a bit before whizzing it up. will finish it with more nondairy creamer and chill. think i'll serve with some grilled bread, salad and some cheeses.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I've made two soups today as well. A tradional borscht, which will be for dinner tonight. And for tomorrow's lunch a chilled curried yellow squash soup with cilantro oil.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I can't believe that I haven't chimed in here yet. Soups are my FAVORITE ! :wub:

I just posted a recipe for Tomato Burgundy Soup that is an awesome starter for a nice dinner. Or just to sip............. :rolleyes:

Kathy

(Tonight I am trying my hand at making Chinese Soup Dumplings. Does that count? :raz: )

• 2 weeks later...

Made four soups tonight - all cold, 2 desserts, 2 not.

Chocolate soup

Strawberry "Sambuca" soup

Avocado Soup

Orange Gazpacho (not authentic but good! mango, cantalope, orange pepper, basil, cucumber, oranges.... mmm.)