• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
bourdain

CALLING ALL MEXICANS

I'm seeking names and restaurants of high-end/"nouvelle" Mexican chefs, operating in the USA who--unlike--say Rick Bayless and Jose Andres--are actually MEXICAN. Home grown Mexican chefs creating any variety of Mexican fusion are also of interest.

Your informed input would be much appreciated.

abourdain

Mexican only, or are other Central Americans eligible? Hector Guerra was sous for Yannik Cam at Le Pavillion back in the Reagan administration, and played soccer and cooked with Roberto Donna for several years. He has the classic CV -- began as a dishwasher and rose through the ranks. He opened his own Salvadoran fusion place a few years back. Unfortunately, it went under and he now appers to be chef at a place called Cabanas (202) 944-4242. Given its location in a major Georgetown tourist-trap area, he may not be offering cutting-edge food at this time, but I'm sure he is still the same good chef and good guy he was back when I knew him.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Geno Bahena has a couple of places here in Chicago...Ixcapuzalco & Chilpancingo. He worked for Bayless before he opened his own places.

One of the people who jump to mind is Hugo Ortega in Houston. Perhaps his food is a bit short of the 'high end' you were looking for, but his Hugo's is definitely white tablecloth food.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

Chef Carlos Molina at Los Catrines-Tequila's Bar in Philadelphia.

Los Catrines & Tequila's Bar

1602 Locust Street

Philadelphia, PA 19103

(215) 546-0181

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Not sure if it's still there, but otherwise Arturo Franco-Camacho's Roomba in New Haven, CT. Ate there a few years ago, fairly inventive high-end (for CT standards) Latino Cuisine. I believe he's both chef and owner.

Roomba Restaurant.

1044 Chapel St.

New Haven, CT 06511

203-562-7666

Hope it helps,

Silly.

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

The former sous chef at Charlie Trotters (Guillermo Tellez) is Mexican - He's the exec at Mayya in Miami Beach. I'm pretty sure Yoel Cruz of North Square on Waverly place is Mexican as well - that's all I got.

Edited by GordonCooks (log)

Freddy Sanchez of Adobo Grill, Chicago. He was born in Guerrero and raised in Acapulco, Mexico. where he experienced the tantalizing sights and smells of the coastal city. Tribune critic Phil Vettel wrote in October: "ADOBO GRILL, 1610 N. Wells St., 312-266-7999. The considerable promise of this Old Town restaurant has been met by chef Freddy Sanchez, who is producing some of the best Mexican cooking in town, and a greatly improved front-room staff. The beverage program, which includes stellar margaritas along with a monthly tequila tasting event, is a big plus. Recommended: Ceviche assortment, guacamole (prepared tableside), tilapia with mushroom escabeche, venison tampiqueno. Open: Dinner Mon.-Sun., brunch Sat.-Sun. Entree prices: $12.95-$24.95. Credit cards: A, DC, M, V. Reservations: Strongly recommended. Noise: Conversation-friendly. Other: Wheelchair accessible, valet parking, smoking at bar only. (star)(star)(star)"

Bill Daley

Chicago Tribune

Luchita's in Cleveland is one of my favorites.

3456 W. 117th St., Cleveland, OH 44111; Phone is 216.252.1169.

The chef is named Rey Galindo.

Make Ruhlman buy you a couple of Cuervo Margueritas there when you come to town. :raz:

Laurie

Geno Bahena has a couple of places here in Chicago...Ixcapuzalco & Chilpancingo.

Probably because I live in Chicago, but Geno Bahena is the first guy that came to miund when I saw this thread. Ixcapuzalco rules.

"miguel ravago at fonda san miguel in austin might fit the bill"

I second the motion on Miguel Ravago at Fonda. Ravago and of note, his Mexicano kitchen team who have all been there from day one. They all rock!

Also, an ex from Fonda, is Roberto Santibanez who is running the show at Rosa Mexicano in New York. He is a gifted chef and excellent teacher.

Salud,

Shelora

Mariano Rivera chef at Charlies on Leavitt, Chicago

Francisco Lopez, sous chef, The Everest Room, Chicago

Patrick Sheerin

Richard Sandoval of Maya/San Francisco, Pampano/New York and Tamayo/Denver is from Acapulco.

He also has a Mexican-Asian fusion restaurant in Denver called Zengo.

“When I was dating and the wine list was presented to my male companion, I tried to ignore this unfortunate faux pas. But this practice still goes on…Closing note to all servers and sommeliers: please include women in wine selection. Okay?”--Alpana Singh, M.S.-"Alpana Pours"

http://www.eastbysouthwest.com

I worked for Sergio in Telluride, Co. There, Eagles Bar and Grille, he did alot of fusion stuff (Latin and Asian). His wife and him now own a sushi restaraunt in Durango, CO.

Not sure if this helped, but now ya know.

LJ

R.I.P.

Johnny Ramone

1948-2004

www.RAMONES.com

Chef Suzana Davila at the Café Poca Cosa in Tucson Arizona. Not only does she make amazing margaritas and heavenly authentic mexican food, she is the damned sexiest grandmother in the world with a 1000 watt smile and overflowing generosity.

Check out the food section of today's L.A. Times (12/22) for a review of La Huasteca in Lynwood (part of metropolitan LA). The chef-owner is Alfonso Ramirez, originally from Puebla. Definitely not the usual Tex-Mex cuisine. (Sorry, I don't know how to post the link.)

Julian Medina. Sandoval's former right hand, worked at Sandoval's restaurants for years (he brought Julian to the US). very talented, he's now at Zocalo uptown

Alcohol is a misunderstood vitamin.

P.G. Wodehouse

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Henga
      Hi there! I am looking for a good Mexican cookbook. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
    • By newchef
      I'm trying to make a Roasted Poblano and Black Bean Enchilada recipe and I don't know if the tomatillo cream sauce will be freezer-friendly.     Basically I process the following ingredients in a food processor to make the cream sauce.  I plan on freezing the sauce in ice-cube trays for individual servings.  The sauce will then be thawed and spread on a baking dish and also used to top the enchiladas and cook in a 400 degree oven.   Thanks!   INGREDIENTS:   -26 ounces canned tomatillos, drained -1 onion -1/2 cup cilantro leaves -1/3 cup vegetable broth -1/4 cup heavy cream -1 tbsp vegetable oil -3 garlic cloves -1 tbsp lime juice -1 tsp sugar -1 tsp salt
    • By David Ross
      Ah, the avocado! For many of us, this humble little fruit inspires only one dish. Yet the avocado has a culinary history that is deeper than we may understand.

The avocado (Persea Americana) is a tree thought to have originated in South Central Mexico.  It’s a member of the flowering plant family Lauraceae.  The fruit of the plant - yes, it's a fruit and not a vegetable - is also called avocado.

Avocados grow in tropical and warm climates throughout the world.  The season in California typically runs from February through September, but avocados from Mexico are now available year-round.

The avocado has a higher fat content than other fruits, and as such serves as an important staple in the diet of consumers who are seeking other sources of protein than meats and fatty foods.  Avocado oil has found a new customer base due to its flavor in dressings and sauces and the high smoke point is favorable when sautéing meat and seafood. 

In recent years, due in part to catchy television commercials and the influence of Pinterest, the avocado has seen a resurgence in popularity with home cooks and professionals.  Walk into your local casual spot and the menu will undoubtedly have some derivation of avocado toast, typically topped with bacon.  Avocados have found a rightful place back on fine dining menus, but unfortunately all too often over-worked dishes with too many ingredients and garnishes erase the pure taste and silky texture of an avocado. 

When I think of an avocado it’s the Hass variety.  However, a friend who lives in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, can buy Choquette, Hall and Lulu avocados in the local markets.  This link provides good information about the different varieties of avocados, when they’re in season and the differences in taste and texture. https://www.foodrepublic.com/2012/10/18/know-your-avocado-varieties-and-when-theyre-in-season/

I for one must challenge myself to start eating and cooking more avocados.  I think my recipe for guacamole served with chicharrones is superb, and the cobb salad with large chunks of ripe avocado is delicious, but as a close friend recently said, “one person’s ‘not especially new’ is another’s “eureka moment.” Well said and as history tells us, we’ll find plenty of eureka moments as we discuss and share our tales and dishes of avocado during eG Cook-Off #81: The Avocado.

Fun fact: The name avocado derives from the Nahuatl word “ahuacatl,” which was also slang for “testicle.”
      See the complete eG Cook-Off Index here https://forums.egullet.org/topic/143994-egullet-recipe-cook-off-index/
    • By Darienne
      Chile Rellenos.  Every Mexican or Mexican type restaurant we've ever been in almost, I've chosen Chile Rellenos.   I keep thinking I'll pick something different...and then I don't.  I've made them.  Once.  So much trouble.  And deep fat frying.  And of course in the Far Frozen North where we live, we've been able to get Poblanos (that's it) for only about five years now.  

Imagine my delight, the appeal to my very lazy side, to discover the following recipe just a few days ago: https://www.homesicktexan.com/2018/09/chile-relleno-casserole-el-paso-style.html  .  And yesterday I made them and served them to guests with Mexican rice and black beans.  Died and gone to heaven.

OK.  Truth time.  I used Poblanos and  I did not roast them to remove the skins.  In an electric oven, it's not a nice job.  And besides the skins have never bothered me or Ed at all.  But I did roast the Poblanos in the oven.  And then I used commercial salsa because we had one we liked.  (Did I say that I can be lazy sometimes?)  And I used Pepper Jack cheese.  Jack cheese is not always available in the small Ontario city we live outside of and pepper jack is even less common.  Buy it when you see it.  I defrosted some frozen guacamole I had in the freezer.  But by heavens the casserole was delicious and now it's on our menu permanently.

So shoot me.  But I thought I'd share my joy anyway. 
    • By jackie40503
      I lived in Phoenix AZ a total of 24 years and during that time I found what the local restaurants call a Green Chili Burro. I have also lived and worked in 48 states and the only ones who have them is either in Arizona, Western New Mexico or Southern California. I am now retired in Northwest Washington State. I have searched the internet for recipes and have found that none of them taste the same. I have also written to many Mexican restaurants and either did not receive a reply or was told that they could not give out the recipe. I am now going around to blogs/forums dealing with Mexican foods hoping that someone would have the actual recipe from one of the restaurants. Its not like I am going trying to compete with them since I live along way from those areas and only wish to serve it in my own household.