• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Southern Traditions

Varmint

Is 'reheaten' a southern term? Mrs. Lyle's family, 2nd generation Americans setteling in the hill country of TX., uses this term as in "We plan on reheatening that side of beef in the doggie bag tonight for dinner". I had never heard this term before (and, noticing it more deftly, very rarely after) and I was just wondering if this was a southern specific or just another odd product of a tricked-up family.

Rice pie is nice.

And "tump" - as in "knock over" primarily used at table, as in: "Y'all kids might could be a little more careful.  Yor fixin' to tump over yor big ol' glass of buttermilk."

I have a cousin named Tump, for reasons no one can recall. In fact, in some circles, all I have to do to establish my Southern credentials is point out that I have a cousin named Tump and an aunt named Verna -- bless their hearts.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

I have a cousin named Tump, for reasons no one can recall. In fact, in some circles, all I have to do to establish my Southern credentials is point out that I have a cousin named Tump and an aunt named Verna -- bless their hearts.

I have great uncles named (or at least nicknamed) Yankee and Napoleon. My father grew up with a dog (dawg) named Dammit and a cat named Yellafella.

My first name is Taylor. I was 4 before I first heard the "r" sound at the end.

You simply cannot make this shit up. It's too good. :rolleyes:

...That my father used to hide under my bed and make monster noises is an equally good story, but not, perhaps, peculiarly southern. :unsure:

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

And how about the ever popular murder-defense theory, "He just needed killing."

As in -

Lawyer: "Yer Honor, my client maybe did shoot ol' Buck down like a dawg, but he was the baddest badass in three counties. He just needed killin'."

Judge: "I heard that."

Lawyer: "Damn straight."

Case adjourned.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

My first name is Taylor.  I was 4 before I first heard the "r" sound at the end.

'Acorse.

It should rightly be pronounced 'Tayla' as everyone knows.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

My previous law firm had attorneys with interesting given names and nicknames:

Amos, but was called Buck

Nigle, but was called Tex

Julian, but was called Bo

Another interesting phenomenon in these here parts is the naming of children. Parents will name their daughter something like "Almeda Louise Smith", but they call her, "Sue". Given names found on the birth certificate have nothing to do with what they're called on a daily basis. Each of the 4 times we had a child, we told people what their names were going to be, and we were promptly asked, "What y'all gonna call him/her?"

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

...as in "We plan on reheatening that side of beef in the doggie bag tonight for dinner."

Well, that is strange. You sure they said "plan" instead'a "fixin' to"??? :unsure:

And as for the "reheatening" part of it - that makes perfect sense. After all, hadn't it already been "heatened" once???

And as for the "reheatening" part of it - that makes perfect sense.  After all, hadn't it already been "heatened" once???

That just made me realize how strange the tale is. In initial preparation, items are heated, not heatened. Only on repeating this procedure do products become reheatened.

Yes, you are correct, they are always fixin to do everything. As am I.

Rice pie is nice.

Round these parts, churches often make sorghum molasses as a fund raiser in the fall--is that the same as cane syrup?

Catfish--fried, of course

Cabbage--fried, of course ( fry off a couple of slices of bacon, shred the cabbage, toss with some sliced onion, fry in the bacon grease, salt and lots of pepper.)

Okra--fried, of course

bucket mouth bass--fried, of course

red velvet cake--don't fry it

home made ice cream--don't fry that either

strawberry shortcake--ditto

rhubarb custard pie--ditto

sparrowgrass

Round these parts, churches often make sorghum molasses as a fund raiser in the fall--is that the same as cane syrup?

No, it is much thicker and darker with a much stronger flavor. Sometimes referred to as "blackstrap" molasses. Usually you have to swirl a pat of butter into the pool of sorghum on your plate before you spread it on your biscuits or the flavor is too intense.

We would use an inordinate amount of butter, like 2 parts butter to 5 parts heated molasses poured atop the butter before our molasses became a spread. I have since learned that I prefer a more lopsided ratio.

Rice pie is nice.

Cutting molasses with butter is for tourists.  :raz:

:raz::laugh:

Actually, its the best way to tell the locals from the tourists. Also real southerners will swirl a pat of butter into their grits before they add salt and pepper. The tourists are the ones eating straight sorghum and making weird faces.

I remember taking a summer clerk to one of our local Southern institutions ("Big Ed's"), where they have squeeze bottles of blackstrap molasses on every table. He had ordered some smothered pork chops and started squeezing the molasses on the meat. We asked what the hell he was doing, and he replied, "I'm just putting some soy sauce on my pork chops." Ugh. He didn't get a job offer, of course.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

'Acorse.

It should rightly be pronounced 'Tayla' as everyone knows.

Yep. You only pronouce the "r" when it isn't there.

My cousin, Lin-der (Linda)

My sister, Dane-er (Dana)

Aunts: Gertrude, Luverne (Lu-Vern), Glady, Wanita (Wa-need-er or just Need-er)

Uncles: Herman, Otis, Edlo, Bud, JB (doesn't stand for anything, just JB)

Oh, and there are three cousins all born within four months of each other: Cathy Sue, Deborah Sue (me) & Donna Sue.

Ya'll have a nice day now, 'ya hear?

Debi

Oh, I like molasses.  They're Southern are they?  In my home-made marinades, my home-made baked beans, and decorating ice-cream type desserts with their delicate, sticky black threads.

Actually, like many things Southern, molasses came from the Carribean.

- Dave the Sugar Geek

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

...what's the difference between molasses and cane syrup  [pronounced SIGH- rop]?

Technical answer

Cane syrup is made from cane juice. You crush the cane, filter the juice, then cook it down to the desired consistency. In addition to amplifying certain flavor components (and changing others), the heat stabilizes the juice, which would ordinarily have a shelf life of about three hours. (I think there are a couple of companies in Central and South America that pasteurize and can it, unreduced, as a beverage.)

Molasses is the byproduct of crystalization. If you're making granulated sugar, you take the filtered juice and run it through a series of evaporators in order to get rid of most of the water. Then you introduce seed crystals to the remaining solution (which is about 65% solids). When you think you've got all the crystalization you're going to get, you centrifuge the solution. The white crystals get packaged. Off-white crystals get re-melted and go through the process again. The leftover liquid, which still contains quite a bit of liquid sugar, is molasses. Since the filtering and evaporation stages are heat processes, this liquid has been cooked, which is why it looks like caramel. It could be filtered and bottled at this point, or you could cook it down further to get different grades of molasses. In fact, most of it is diluted and re-evaporated to extract more sugar. Eventually it's used for animal feed, pharmaceuticals and alcoholic beverages.

Marketing answer

If you've been paying attention, you'll have noticed that both products are simply concentrated cane juice. And in fact, the mildest and sweetest molasses on the market is made in the same way as cane syrup -- from filtered cane juice. I don't think you could tell them apart. It's only when you start cooking it way down (headed towards the blackstrap zone) that molasses develops real differences.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Interesting.  Can we trace the molasses back to Africa?

I don't know. Sugar cane was being cultivated in India around 300 BC. Alexander noted it.

I should make myself a little clearer. Obviously molasses existed before Europeans came to the New World. But I believe it took slavery and ocean travel to make it a cash crop.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.