• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Southern Traditions

Varmint

What about Southern food combos:

A bag of salted peanuts poured into a bottle of Pepsi (NC!) (which would, as someone mentioned be a Coke (GA!) pronounced "Cake")

Salt on watermelon

And the quinesstential southern breakfast on the go, a RC Cola and a Moonpie!

Other things, I read all the posts please forgive me if I repeated

Hushpuppies-& hush puppies dipped in butter (YUMMMMM!)

Texas Pete (who harkens from Winston Salem, not from Texas) and especially the Texas Pete that is the little green peppers with vinegar that you must splash on your greens @ the K &W! (or @ least I do)

Krispy Kreme (Yet, another NC invention!!)

and I must add that we all go to cook-outs, not barbeques!

Edited by ditsydine (log)

-----------------

AMUSE ME

Welcome DitsyDine.... I see it's your first post. Glad to have you here. :rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Shrimp n' grits. Which has the distinction of being the only acceptable combination of seafood and cheese...

Low country shrimp boil! Oh man, that's some good stuff...

I'm telling y'all, the best move I ever made was to marry a gal from Savannah... gives me the chance to do some serious eating down there on holidays...

Did anyone mention succoutash?

I am a huge admirer of the ways shrimp and sausage get introduced to each other in South Carolina cuisine, including the low country boil.

I like grits with lots of good cheese slowly worked in, but I withdraw that if it isn't authentic Southern.

Shrimp n' grits.  Which has the distinction of being the only acceptable combination of seafood and cheese...

Low country shrimp boil!  Oh man, that's some good stuff...

I'm telling y'all, the best move I ever made was to marry a gal from Savannah... gives me the chance to do some serious eating down there on holidays...

Not to mention that it gives you the right to say, "y'all," whenever you wish. Damn fine word, "y'all."

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I don't know if this is exclusive to the South, but can I put in a word for the phrase "big ol'" - much beloved of my Georgian friends. As in, "I'm gonna get in my big ol' car, drive down the big ol' road and get me some big ol' smoked turkey legs." I sometimes suspect everything in the south is big and old. Stella Bella being an exception, of course :wub: .

I like grits with lots of good cheese slowly worked in, but I withdraw that if it isn't authentic Southern.

I was recently informed, in all apparent seriousness, that what'll *rilly* make grits good is the addition of some white truffle oil. This during a conversation about Charleston/Lowcountry food, etc.

I think I heard my grandmother absolutely spinning in her grave.

The worst part is... I'm tempted to try it, just to see!

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

Yeah, and "might could."

And "tump" - as in "knock over" primarily used at table, as in: "Y'all kids might could be a little more careful. Yor fixin' to tump over yor big ol' glass of buttermilk."

But the absolute BEST one of all is that you can say anything you want about someone as long as you add, "bless her heart" -- thereby demonstrating that you are not really being unkind and that in fact, sweet generous you loves her dearly despite all her obvious failings:

"That Belva June is a man-stealing, bass-mouthed, tacky-ass bitch, bless her heart."

:laugh:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

Biscuits....biscuits....BISCUITS!!!  Fresh, hot, just-out-of-the-oven, melt-in-your-mouth BISCUITS...  (Where's the drool similie?? :biggrin: )

Grits with loads of butter, Bacon AND Eggs mixed in

I'm experiencing a definite biscuit/grin fixation! My mom used to make wonderful biscuits, nice and high and flaky. Mmmmmm, they were even good the next day. I, on the other hand, make hocky pucks. Hard, thin, disgusting disks of dough. Sheesh!

And another thing why don't northern restaurants offer grits on their menus? I'd like a grit option when I visit my local luncheonette! :smile:

Iris

GROWWWWWLLLLL!!

Grits first: Grits have truly grown up in the South, and you can find nearly anything can be added. Truffle oil? Maybe that's a bit much, but grits have become a palate for a number of different ingredients. I made grits with smoked mozzarella the other day, and it was a damn fine dish.

People in these parts don't refer to different sodas by their brand name; they're all "Coke." If someone asks if you want a "Coke" and you respond in the affirmative, they'll ask you, "What kind?" Dr. Pepper, Hires Root Beer, and Mello Yello are all "Cokes."

The word "mash" is used instead of "press" or "push," as in, "Could you mash that there elevator button for me, shug?"

Finally, a non-food tradition is that for our elders, we often use the title "Mr." or "Miss" (never Mrs.) along with the person's first name. Thus, my wife would be Miss Marcella. New Yorkers get a big kick out of this one.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Did your mom make yeast biscuits?  Buttermilk biscuits are crunchy and flaky, but not high, and they definitely are hard the next day.  But, oh man right out of the oven with some butter and sorghum molasses!

She used buttermilk and baking powder. I used to pan fry them the next day to soften them up a bit. Or halve them, top with a slice of sharp cheddar and heat in a frying pan until the cheese melts.

I miss my mom...

Iris

GROWWWWWLLLLL!!

Leftover buttermilk biscuits are great for making dressing. Crumble, add herbs, salt, pepper, melted butter, chicken stock, diced onion and green pepper. Pack into casserole dish, bake until warmed through, serve with pork loin or roasted birds like quail or pheasant. :smile:

Leftover buttermilk biscuits are great for making dressing.  Crumble, add herbs, salt, pepper, melted butter, chicken stock, diced onion and green pepper.  Pack into casserole dish, bake until warmed through, serve with pork loin or roasted birds like quail or pheasant.  :smile:

Hmmmm, that sounds good! I've got to try that. I'm always looking for something to jazz up dressing.

Have you ever noticed that Southerners say "dressing" and Northerners say "stuffing". I'm usually say dressing even though I'm from the north. Southern relatives I guess.

Iris

GROWWWWWLLLLL!!

If you make your grits with chicken broth instead of water they will be much richer and creamier. White truffle oil actually DOES work with grits.

Did anyone mention Hush Puppies? There are so many bad ones out there, but if you can find a place that does them well...mmmm.

Slaw

Banana Puddin'.

Brunswick Stew (although, I am not personally a fan of this dish, I know many who are)

Chicken pot pie (not strictly southern I realize, but oh, with a biscuit crust!!)

Peach Cobbler

Strawberry Shortcake

Red Velvet Cake

fried catfish

mountain trout

deep fried turkey (was the deep fryer invented in the south? Seems like it came along about the same time as the cotton gin...)

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

If you make your grits with chicken broth instead of water they will be much richer and creamier.

Lots of cream works really well, too!!!

I'm soooo hungry! My sister makes a mean peach cobbler!!

Iris

GROWWWWWLLLLL!!

And there's the interrogative reply-- used instead of "beg pardon" and so forth-- "Do what?"

As in: "Y'all heard about Sadie's grits with white truffle oil recipe?"

"Do what? Next thing you know, she'll be adding Manchego cheese to collard greens, bless her heart!"

Brunswick stew! If it's done right (and it usually isn't), it's food of the gods! Well, very earthbound, plain-folks gods, anyway...

Brunswick stew!  If it's done right (and it usually isn't), it's food of the gods!  Well, very earthbound, plain-folks gods, anyway...

Yeah, if it ain't got rabbit and squirrel in it, t'aint worthy of callin' nothin' more than vegetable soup!

Seriously, most Brunswick Stew served today (even at the good barbecue restaurants) is really just sweet, glorified Campbell's vegetable soup with some meat added. It's really a shame that so few places take care with their veggies, good meat, and maintaining an appropriate level of sweetness.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites