• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Texans need to develop a taste for BBQ Snail

Mayhaw Man

Baseball sized snails are living very close to Fifi. She could take the culinary lead on this looming enviromental disaster!

This is more serious than the title of the thread indicates. As an area of the world that is pretty much subtropical, the South is particularly prone to invasions by predatory, non native tropical species of animals, plants, birds, invertabrates, etc. that are either released by pet lovers or that come in as part of foriegn cargo (The red fire ant is a prime example of this, as it came from a shipment of tropical wood shipped to the port of Mobile a number of years ago). We are also suffering from the invasion of Flying Carp (this article has a great quote about a fisherman being saved by a tractor seat :wacko::laugh: ). In Louisiana, The Nutria, has become a source of both economic and environmental trouble as the things have multiplied like crazy since the drop in fur prices in the late 80's. Inspite of the efforts of some of our finest culinary minds,to turn this disgusting little rat into a food source, the things continue to multiply like crazy. Jefferson Parish Sheriff Harry Lee led the way by using a team of crack marksmen from the JPSO SWAT team to shoot the yellow toothed devils, but sadly, the wily rat has continued to multiply.

Texas eGulleteers have a unique chance to help out their farmers and chefs by leading the way in developing a native escargot industry. This snail should fit the bill for Texas quite well, because IT'S BIG!, just like Texas! As the leader of the eGullet Public Relations team I pledge to get you all of the press that you can stand in order to promote your selfless efforts.

So for the greater glory of Texas (IT'S BIG™), start gathering up that Texas Escargot!

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

The Houston Chronicle article is here.

While I don't eat things that include all of their insides, that doesn't mean that we couldn't do some culinary experiments. I am sure I could find some willing subjects. :biggrin: The first part of the experimental process is finding out all we can about the critter from the culinary point of view.

What we know now... Wherever there has been a try at a introducing the thing as food it didn't catch on, even in parts of the world that are known for adventurous palates. So... What is wrong with it? It is too tough? Taste bad or not much? If that is the case, what approach would possibly mitigate a problem and result in tasty morsels?

Taking a cue from Brooks, let's examine a parallel... the almighty brisket. As is, and treated like you would a loin roast, it is a pretty lousy piece of meat. BUT... massaged with the right magical powder, gently coaxed along in a bovine sauna scented with mesquite or pecan, add a lot of patience, and you have a brisket that make the angels sing.

Sooo... My first trial with the beast would be to plop it in the smoker! Then you start getting into the details. Do you feed it up on rice and milk for a few days? Take it out of the shell or not? I think the answer to the last one is a yes. Further research indicates that the things can carry some pretty nasty parasites. You would want to be sure that the little pets are fully cooked.

Perhaps they could make a dent in the luxury market as an alternative to the smoked oyster.

Those are my musings to date. The good thing is that snails are slow enough for me to catch. :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

In the wake of its discovery, research scientists began descending on the golf course this month to study the snail's lifestyle and project its potential danger to rice crops and aquatic habitat in Texas

My mind's eye pictures groups of men outfitted in garish plaid slacks toting clipboards, laptops, and other implements of modern research neatly camoflaged in golf bags.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Two weekends ago, Burlakova and her husband, Alex Karatayev, a Stephen F. Austin associate professor in aquatic biology, brought two graduate students to the Chambers County ponds to begin the field study.

Donning wet suits and dodging golf balls that occasionally whizzed past their heads, the graduate students waded into the largest pond.

I thought it was pretty funny that the "researchers" sent out their graduate students to muck about and be the targets for the golf balls.

I also didn't know that snails can have a "lifestyle". :laugh: My mental picture was of snails in smoking jackets and cravats, a monocle perched on one eyestalk, sipping a fine vintage of pond water, discussing the merits of the new variety of water weed.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

While I don't eat things that include all of their insides, that doesn't mean that we couldn't do some culinary experiments.

In rural Malaysia, people used to cut out the intestines of the local (small) snails before cooking them. Then, the intestines were used as bait for fishing. I've never liked eating snails myself, but I just thought I'd tell you that at least one people has a tradition of taking out some of the insides of snails before cooking them.

Michael aka "Pan"

That is very interesting. I don't know that I have ever heard of that. I would think that would be a good thing to do with these big boys.

I am now getting into stuff I know very little about. It has been too many years since I took parasitology. I am wondering if that didn't get started because some of the nastier parasites reside there.

(Technical note: Snails of many types, including apple snails, serve as an intermediate host for several trematode parasites that can infect humans. Schistosomiasis and swimmers itch are two that are pretty common.)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I wonder what makes these BIG little guys so different from the snail I have enjoyed often baked in a snail shell (the shells do come separately -- and clean :laugh:) steeped in butter and garlic? Escargot in butter and garlic is almost steak-like in chewing texture once baked. I for one would be willing to try, fifi, if we know my insides aren't going to crawling with undesirable guests!

Texas snails on the world culinary market. Hmmmm. . . would that be with or without the smoking jackets on the can? Although I presume the smoking jackets would be good form in the . . . uh, smoker? :raz:

Some relative -- Grandmother or an elderly aunt -- gave my mom a full length nutria coat back in the 60s. (Wonder what ever happened to that?) It was a beautiful golden fur. Never thought about eating them -- large rat with nice coat was always my picture of the critters! :laugh:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

you probably wouldn't be able to fit them in an escargot dish tho.

That isn't a problem. That is a collateral market. :laugh: Everyone will have to get new dishes.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

you probably wouldn't be able to fit them in an escargot dish tho.

That isn't a problem. That is a collateral market. :laugh: Everyone will have to get new dishes.

Fifi! How big are these suckers if they won't fit into an escargot dish? :blink: Do we have to rope 'em to bring 'em down? :raz: Sea horse brigade? Whole new line of BIG TX Snail BBQ utensils?

We need to try these out!

Judith Love

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

heh... heh... This site says they can grow to 6 inches!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Yeah but they keep talking about bad tastes and bad smell. Ick.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Yeah but they keep talking about bad tastes and bad smell. Ick.

that's why you have to take special care to clean them properly. think of them like chitlins! or liver.

but i can see how the escargot business failed.

Edited by tryska (log)

yay!  from a link on that site -

Apple Snail Recipes!

Did you notice in the last recipe it called for 4 lbs of butter?!!! I'm sure someone did not proof that. Seems more likely the amount is 4 Tbsp (or ounces) of butter to be proportionate. :blink:

And after all that you only can use the foot.

Yeah, fifi, the smelliness probably didn't help to promote the escargot industry. :laugh: If someone packaged them at the edible stage though (bags or tins of snail feet?) they might go over.

TX Golden Snail Feet. I can see the tin now -- have to have a Big Foot snail character, maybe skiing on the Gulf Coast. :laugh:

Judith Love

Yeah, fifi, the smelliness probably didn't help to promote the escargot industry.  :laugh: If someone packaged them at the edible stage though (bags or tins of snail feet?) they might go over.

TX Golden Snail Feet. I can see the tin now -- have to have a Big Foot snail character, maybe skiing on the Gulf Coast.  :laugh:

Shear marketing genius, I tell ya. :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I definitely did an aboutface at the addition of alum. I reckon you wouldn't want to be feeding them up on basil or thyme to purge their nasty taste, either.

I know. Cut em up and bait trotlines to catch some good groceries.

Edited by Mabelline (log)

I definitely did an aboutface at the addition of alum. I reckon you wouldn't want to be feeding them up on basil or thyme to purge their nasty taste, either.

I know. Cut em up and bait trotlines to catch some good groceries.

:laugh: Snail bait! The Escargot Line. Would fit right in with some of the

(hand-painted signs/flashing Xmas lights) Bait -- Pool -- Tanning Salons

around Central TX. :huh::laugh:

Judith Love