• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chili Dogs

snowangel

So, I'm on a kick to clean out the freezer and cupboards. In addition, I made chili today for tomorrow night.

So, in my freezer, I found a package of Oscar Meyer or Hormel (can't remember) beef weiners. Also so venison weiners. In the cupboard I found a can of Hormel chili.

Some of these items (the supermarket hot dogs and the Hormel chili) were "courtesy" of a houseguest.

So, when I asked what we should have for dinner tonight, Peter said "Chili dogs!" I figured it was time for taste testing.

So, we did.

Hands down winner were the supermarket hot dogs with Hormel Chili. The venison dogs with homemade chili were actually better tasting, at least each item on it's own. But, together, they weren't what we associated with chili dogs. SOmetimes, cheap, crappy, over processed food is OK.

Incidentally, they were adorned with chopped onions and French's yellow mustard, just as they are at the State Fair, whereever.

They were, in an odd way, comforting. We will have them again in another year or so.

In true State Fair fashion, we washed these down with Coca Cola and had Old Dutch chips (ruffles) as a side.

Tomorrow night, we will go heavy on the veg. Maybe I'll save the chili (which is really great) for Sunday night.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I've never eaten or seen anything like this so please forgive my naivety but: mustard on chili dogs? Is that really usual?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Mustard is the standard.

Has anyone had the ground beef heart topping that they call Cooneys in Flint MI and Deteroit area? It's what you would get when you ordered a chili dog. I don't miss them.

Edited by handmc (log)

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

I've never eaten or seen anything like this so please forgive my naivety but: mustard on chili dogs? Is that really usual?

I usually eat my chili dogs with sour cream, cheddar cheese, and diced onions. And, naturally, mustard. But, the mustard should go on between the dog and the chilil, elsewise the vinegar acidity in the mustard overpowers other flavors.

You really ought to branch out in your eating, Jinmyo. When GWB takes over the world, there won't be cuisine... but Heinz Ketchup won't be available, either. So, it won't be all bad.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Trust me, Jin, if it's Hormel chili, you need the mustard. Like I said, we'll eat these again in a year.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

My preference is dijon mustard spread on the hot dog bun, add the dog, top with chili, grated cheese, chopped onions, run under the broiler. Yum. Aren't onions a vegetable?

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

I should also add when I'm deep in calorie deficit, chili dogs are one of my gutbombs of choice. Lots of calories, lots of salt, and a good amount of belly-wadding ability makes them a passable choice on the "I'm eating over the sink" menu.

Ahh, the simple, crazed, dysfunctional life of a bachelor amateur athlete.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Having just imbibed of Hormel chili in a Frito pie with a good sharp cheddar, I can understand your situation. It was Gooooood. Go forth without guilt.

(Now you have me craving a hot dog. :wacko: )

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

There used to be a restaurant that i used to stop in when i was in high school that made chili dogs and topped them with ketchup, mustard, relish, onions, cheddar cheese and minced jalepenos along with the chili.

Those dogs were heartburn city (espically after 3 or 4) but i have never had anything like them.

I would object strenously to mustard on my chili dog. Bun, dog, chili, hot sauce, and cheese. Velveeta, baby. If it's processed food, let's go all the way with it!!! Chopped onions & jalapenos are acceptable garni, but not required.

Instead of treating chili dogs like a dog with chili as a garnish, I treat my chili dogs like a bowl of chili, with the dog & bun simply being the tasty delivery vehicle for getting the chili into the mouth.

It's a dog philosophy, really.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Definitely. Krystal's chili cheese pups come with yellow mustard standard as the only condiment.

I, however, can't freaking stand yellow mustard -- I don't care what it's being eaten with. So I always get dogs either plain and add my own mustard or with mayo, because I'm a freak. A damn freak.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

Having just imbibed of Hormel chili in a Frito pie with a good sharp cheddar, I can und :wub: erstand your situation. It was Gooooood. Go forth without guilt.

(Now you have me craving a hot dog. :wacko: )

Literally, fifi, with every post you write my admiration for you just grows and grows.

Try the Frito pie wrapped in a tortilla, burrito style. Try that same Frito pie burrito deep-fried, chimichanga style. *swoon*

:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

Mustard is the standard.

Has anyone had the ground beef heart  topping that they call Cooneys in Flint MI and Deteroit area? It's what you would get when you ordered a chili dog. I don't miss them.

"Ground beef heart"? What "Detroit" were you in, somewhere in Eastern Europe? :blink:

A proper Detroit coney is a dog, chili, yellow mustard, and chopped onions.

V

V

I guess we are just too gauche for words, cuz we eat Texas style Chili Dogs at least once a month. I have tweaked them up a little, using 'artisanal' buns, browned under the broiler. Big fat allbeef doggies, homemade chili, Grated Onions, Grated cheese, no mustard if I can help it, and look out...

As far as that beefheart Coney Dog sauce is concerned, somebody just busted out a chilequeen secret. This is a secret ingredient in Chile Meat, and one that you won't get anyone to admit to. For every 5 #s of chile grind meat, you grind 4#s great beef(including chuck) and 1# beef heart. So now the beefheart's out in the open. I look forward to seeing people deny it. :rolleyes:

Chili-dogs, ooh, such a great dinner choice.

I prefer mine with Cincinatti style chili (ala Skyline) but basic Texas or Southwestern style chili works well too.

As for what else goes on? Pretty much whatever else I can fit on the bun, these chili dogs are definately knife and fork specials, too messey/big/overstuffed to be eaten with hands, but include:

The Dog (big thick and grilled is best), loads of chili (at least half a full bowl's worth per dog), sauerkraut (and lots of it), yellow mustard (spicey brown will work too), chopped white onions, pickled jalepenos, hot hoagie spread, cheddar cheese (melted), and well, whatever else I can find. Only things that I keep off are ketchup and sweet pickle relish (hot relishes and sweet onion relish are welcome additions however).

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I had a strange chili dog recently with a topping that could only have been beef heart. It was blackish and soft and bland. Not my favorite. It's too bad because the place is 1/2 mile from my new house and I liked the atmosphere. It was a sit-down weiner place with super-nice waitresses and printed menus with lots of hot dog beauty shots. Reminded me of a Waffle House, but with hot dogs instead of waffles.

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA