• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baja Fresh

Curlz

I've been meaning to start a post on Baja Fresh for a while now...they seem to be springing up all around northern NJ all of a sudden! There's one not far from me, and I've now stopped in a few times. The food's not bad, folks. It's not fancy, but it is fresh--something that other chains can't seem to do too well. Their guacamole is decent (although it needs a little kick, which is easily done by adding a touch of one of their salsas), the fajita platter is more than enough food, and if you call ahead, you avoid the wait. My only consistent complaint is that their chips are a tad flat in flavor. Not sure why, but they always are!

The locations I'm aware of: E. Rutherford on Rt. 17, Wayne, and E. Hanover ('tho if you're over there and don't go to Saffron, you're nuts)

Anyone else been? Thoughts?

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

They've been in California for something like 15 years -- I have a friend in LA who must eat there 5 times a week -- but they're new to this area. I think it's one of the better chains.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

They're open in Voorhees (Camden County), too.

There is a similar chain out west called Rubio's. I like Rubio's a little better (I am addicted to their fish tacos), but Baja Fresh is pretty tasty.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

I've become a recent fan of Baja Fresh - we go to their location out in East Hanover (usually as a precursor to a frantic Costco/Home Depot shopping session!)

The Dos Manos burrito, as the name suggests, is usually more than enough for a couple of people - though I'd specifically recommend the steak version, as the chicken can be somewhat bland. I do like the fact that everything is made fresh, and the salsa bar usually has some good stuff. My only wish is that they'd open another location down near my office (Woodbridge) - it would make a good take-out option.

Ok - I have to confess - Curlz, you'd probably class me as nuts. I've driven past Saffron a number of times and have yet to check it out. What's it like at lunch on the weekends?

JB, I don't think you're crazy--if I hadn't read about Saffron here on eG, I would have driven past it too. Imo, a Saturday lunch is a GREAT way to try a lot of their food in one shot, as that's when they offer their buffet! Lots of details about Saffron are right here!

Tommy, yes it's 'fresh Mex'--their marketing is all about the fact that they don't have any microwaves or can openers in the place, and they don't use lard or MSG. Personally, I think the food is better and a lot less salty and greasy than what you'll get at a Chili's, Chevy's or On the Border--but the atmosphere is more like a fast food spot. Just know that you will wait for them to prepare whatever you order (which is fine with me).

Fwiw, I also like another small chain called Qdoba, although I'm only aware of two of those (Short Hills Mall and up on Rt 10 in Denville--but if you're up that way and need lunch, you really just need to go see Lou at An American Grill!) in the area.

In short, if you're out running errands and need a quick bite, these are decent alternatives. I have friends who love Panera, but I find their food VERY salty and a bit expensive for what it is. I think the burritos at Baja are about $6, and the aforementioned fajita platter was $7-8. And I agree with JB--I've yet to order anything made with chicken, b/c the steak is so tasty!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

there's a Qdoba in hoboken as well.

thinking about it, i think that i just don't like the whole genre. i can rarely find anything positive to say about places that serve burritos and the like. to me it's fast food (which it might very well be). there's rarely a decent balance in the product, and it doesn't challenge me one bit.

i do find it interesting that Baja Fresh is using the same marketing that Chevy's used/uses.

if they have no cans, where do they get their refried beans? are they actually making them on premises? i gotta think they're coming out of a bag. that's the nice thing about a marketing angle that suggests "no can-openers": with advances in food packaging, you can do lots of stuff without cans. hell, tuna fish comes in a pouch these days.

i'm obviously bored today.

Curlz - thanks - may give Sapphire's brunch a try this weekend!

Tommy - to the best of my knowledge, Baja Fresh does not serve Refried Beans. When you buy a burrito, you get a choice of black or pinto beans.

Their marketing angle is "No microwave, No can openers, No freezers, No Lard, No Msg." - I wonder what that leaves!

Your comment about fast food does ring true here. Baja Fresh is counter service, but, as Curlz commented above, the food is prepared to order.

Jason

jason, when i said "fast food", i'm basically applying that thought to any type of place that serves this stuff. the food itself, whether served at a table with some nice paper napkins and silverware, or thrown in a bag, is like fast food to me. which probably suggests that i have no business espousing my views on this particular thread. :laugh:

it's good to hear they're not loading up their burrito-type things with refried beans, though.

Is Desert Moon a chain?

Desert Moon Fresh Mexican Grille in the Essex Green Shopping Center, West Orange also has fresh made Mexican food. I like their chili. Sounds similar to the places you are writing about.

Unless there's been a huge change at Desert Moon in Essex Green in the the last year, I'm surprised you like the Chili. I found the food to be awful, I literally threw it away. No flavor, stale chips, undercooked chicken...scary.

When I tried Q'Doba in Denville, it was OK. I just happen to hate rice and beans inside my burrito, I find it the chicken, beef, cheese etc., becomes lost. The salad was good, as was the dressing.

I have yet to try Baja Fresh.

http:/www.etuinc.com

I've only been to one Baja Fresh and only one time. That was enough. It was terrible. The only fast food chain that serves Mexican (?) food I've ever liked was Hi Tech Burrito, which they don't seem to have anywhere near me.

My sister raved about Baja Fresh when she went to school in Arizona. I tried the one on rt 17S, in that shopping center. I found the food to be mediocre at best. I can make a better burrito at home. It had no flavor whatsoever. The only fast-food burrito that is really excellent to me is Chipotle. The spicy shredded beef/pork are so good. Unfortunately, there are none in NJ yet, but there are seveal locations in NYC.

I had tried Baja a couple of times and thought the Burrito was ok (steak was better than chicken) in a pinch. I was telling a friend of mine from California about someone I ran into while there and he said "oh, the fish tacos are great aren't they?". I said, "what fish tacos?" That got him started with a whole shpeal about how this is a Baja concept and that Baja is famous for fish tacos and that in California the thing to get is the fish taco and how two of them (a good meal) only cost something like $5 or less. So, next time I passed a Baja Fresh I went in for the fish taco and found that it is really good. Basically it is a fried fish stick taco and it's very tasty and apparently it's their signature item. Who'd thunk it?

There's another location in Watchung on Rt. 22 West. I've been there twice and have really liked it both times!! It's true that everything is fresh. At this location, at least, the kitchen is right out in the open where the patrons can see their food being cooked.

They also have a salsa bar with 6 or so different types (red, verde, hot, mild, etc.). I, too, found their chips to lack a little flavor, but their salsas are quite good. I get their fish tacos which were great in my opinion.

The best part about it is the flavors linger in my burps for the next several hours.....prolonging my enjoyment of the flavors. Give them a try if you're looking for something quick and good.

To eat good food is to be close to God." -Big Night

The best part about it is the flavors linger in my burps for the next several hours.....prolonging my enjoyment of the flavors. 

I really hope that BF management is reading and that they'll consider adding this phrase to their future marketing efforts! :laugh:

We eat at BF about once a week. Its in the Rt. 10 lunch rotation along with Friday's, Chili's, Quizno's, Wendy's. God, I eat lots of crap. I always get the "burrito ultimo" with steak and I used to add a side of "pronto guacamole" but stopped when I got a bad batch. I agree that the chips are lame but somehow they rarely make it out of my car before I get back to work with the burrito. The hot sauce they have on the table isn't really that hot or my ability to withstand hot sauce has increased dramatically, I use a few tablespoons on the burrito and never find it getting hot.

• 1 month later...

Just an FYI - it seems that Baja Fresh have temporarily removed Pico de Gallo from the Salsa Bar. There's a big sign up in the E. Hanover location citing that it has been removed because of (paraphrased) <i>"rising costs of tomatoes due to the recent hurricanes."</i>

I wonder how much money they would be losing by offering the Pico de Gallo?

i don't usually eat mexican food-or variants thereof

i stopped by the rt 17 store last week for lunch-the food was decent-place clean and service good-

i had and enjoyed burrito in a bowl

i will return-

it is alot better than mc donalds/burger king/wendys