• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh vegetables and fruits?

Anum Amir

Hi everyone. I am planning on moving to Bristol, England in a few months. Here in my hometown I have been using services like EKissaan (link provided so that people can know what sort of service I am currently using) to get my fruits and vegetables delivered. Would anyone suggest me any similar services operating in Bristol?

9 hours ago, Anum Amir said:

Hi everyone. I am planning on moving to Bristol, England in a few months. Here in my hometown I have been using services like EKissaan (link provided so that people can know what sort of service I am currently using) to get my fruits and vegetables delivered. Would anyone suggest me any similar services operating in Bristol?

I don't think there is anyone here from Bristol. The majority of the membership is American. Perhaps, you'd get a better response posting this in the UK section, but I doubt it.

Really, your best bet for this type of information is a search engine such as Google or Bing etc.

Here are Bing's results from a search for "bristol vegetable delivery". I see a couple of options that may match the ethical approach of what you have at present.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

We do most of our food shopping via Ocado. They have a really good selection of fresh food and are generally the best quality of the big online supermarkets. They carry speciality items from Natoora too which is useful if you want something a bit unusual. 

if you’re after things direct from the grower then you’ll find plenty of farmers markets I'm sure. 

Bristol is a great town - a real foody place with lots of really good restaurants. 

While Ocado certainly has the range and is known for its quality, it is also expensive and, being a nationwide on-line supermarket, lacks the local touch. It was the second most expensive choice in 2020 according to surveys.

There are more affordable local suppliers.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

More expensive doesn’t necessarily mean bad value - I’ve always been very happy with the price/quality balance. But that’s quite an individual thing I guess. 

Edited by &roid (log)
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, &roid said:

More expensive doesn’t necessarily mean bad value

No one suggested it does. However, it is only fair to point out the fact that it is an expensive option.

The OP gave a link to the type of suppler he is looking for. Ocado is light years away from that.

Sorry I can't give more specific advice as moved away from Bristol 21 years ago, but you may have more luck if you try a Bristol based forum for up-to-date local knowledge. The city always used to have a hippie-ish side to it so a coop would probably be well received, but like many places the city has dramatically changed since my college days. If not there always used to be good green grocers on Gloucester road and in st. Nicholas's market. 

There are also national veg delivery companies such as riverford. 

Whilst you're staying there definitely try to take a trip into the next county to Stroud for the Saturday farmers market.