• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Wow! That kind of looks like Naan...mmmmm...naan for breakfast......

Inspired by all of the omelets on this thread, I was hoping to make a masala-style omelet like I had when I was in India, with some spice, chopped tomato, onion, and cilantro. Again, I couldn't find cilantro, so I settled for some nice dragonfruit instead, with some Trung Nguyen coffee.

gallery_41378_3106_240818.jpg

gallery_2_4_48312.jpg

A thinly sliced farmer's market cucumbers and radishes sandwich on fresh baked Jewish rye bread, with salt, pepper, Mennonite fresh churned butter and a few slices of Prosciutto di Parma.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Jason, that’s way healthier than our breakfast: Mexican scrambled eggs with chorizo, sautéed mushrooms, fresh basil, oregano, feta, and home-made salsa on flour tortillas warmed over an open flame. Despite looking somewhat regrettable, it was very tasty.

Next week I’m back at work, so no more fun at breakfast. :sad:

gallery_42956_2536_139717.jpg

Chefcrash, that looks awesome !!

Kim, you should get a digital camera soon and post some pics.

Here are some items I had for breakfast over this past week:

Scrambled eggs topped with spicy Sichuan cold chicken and chicken with dried chilies.

gallery_21049_162_13237.jpg

gallery_21049_162_51764.jpg

Corn Muffin (Baked by the wife)

gallery_21049_162_89713.jpg

Jamacian Beef Patty (store bought)

gallery_21049_162_22252.jpg

Wife made a bagel schmeered with rosted garden vegetable cream cheese and fresh fruit (peaches, early plums and banana)

gallery_21049_162_5887.jpg

gallery_21049_162_21128.jpg

It was quite good, but a few hours later, I was craving some protein, so I made...

Lobster and hot spring egg with white truffle foam

gallery_21049_162_60345.jpg

gallery_21049_162_48783.jpg

The foam was made with white truffle butter (and some black truffle butter) mixed with 1/2 and 1/2 in an ISI whipper

gallery_21049_162_57596.jpg

Riff on eggs benedict:

Potatocake, topped with my own pulled pork BBQ, topped with an egg, bernaise sauce and fried chili from my garden.

gallery_16347_3252_805391.jpg

Not all the pretty to look at but it was a wonderful thing! The peppers were a nice crunchy explosion of flavor. And Q for breakfast, oh boy!

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Just maybe I saved some of last nights 3 lobsters...

gallery_23695_426_364733.jpg

now mind you I didnt save much, just a few knuckles, well 6 of them. But 1 sausage and egg biscut and 1 butter poached lobster and egg biscut is not a bad way to start the day

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

We had a lazy morning, didn't "brunch" until almost eleven. Buttered grits and two over-easy for Chris, with pepper-edged extra-crisp bacon and half a huge skillet-toasted croissant. Orange marmalade and Dr. Pepper.

I had my croissant a la BurgerKing via Daniel, with two soft yolks melting gently onto the crisp buttery bread. Key lime yogurt and third cup of Folgers.

DD wandered down later---likes her eggs room temp...had hers OE with leftover mapo tofu, a bit of pork fried rice, and half an apple/gouda sausage with Gulden's. It's her only meal til perhaps 3 a.m., as she sleeps days and goes in to bake her bread at 11 p.m.

We had an egg-fest brunch during our beach vacation. I couldn’t find any salt, so I used fish sauce instead. The 2-year old nephew had cheesy scrambled eggs (and asked for seconds, despite the fish sauce). The pre-teens had regular omelets, and grown-ups had Thai omelets with sautéed mushrooms, garlic and jalapenos.

Great fuel for riding the waves.

My favorite meal of the day!  Been droolin here for quite a while now.

Biscuts, gravy, eggs, grits and bacon.  :wub:

gallery_39050_2669_1139.jpg

Tracey, that sandwich is criminal!

-Mike

Hi Mike!

If you don't mind my asking, how do you make your grits? They look teriffic!

Brought them to a boil with a little salt, cover and simmer til done, stir in lots of butter. Serve and top with more butter.

Hi Mike!

If you don't mind my asking, how do you make your grits? They look teriffic!

-Mike & Andrea

Torakris was kind enough to share her Grandma's recipe for Zucchini Frittata, so I made it for breakfast. So easy and delicious. I see a lot more in my future. Thanks, Kris.!!! :rolleyes:

gallery_5277_2884_789255.jpg

Stop Family Violence

Nice Omelette !!!

Tracey, your lobster breakast induced a craving which led to me having a Lobster BLT for lunch today....keep it up :smile:

While walking around my local Kitchen Kapers, this strange gizmo caught my attention.

They claim it allows you to microwave an egg in 25 sec....so I HAD to try it out and report here.

gallery_21049_162_269.jpg

The instructions said 25 sec for soft boiled, which is how I prefer it, but this is what my microwave produced. The top was a touch more done than I like it, so I need to experiment with the timing or power setting on my micro.

gallery_21049_162_22294.jpg

Here it is on a mini wheat roll. As the pic indicates, the underside of the egg was closer to how I like my soft boiled eggs.

gallery_21049_162_74039.jpg

Edited by percyn (log)

I love leftover cooking after a big party. Just throwing together dribs and drabs.

breakfast4.jpg

Pita Chips with Chilli-Lime Powder, Hummus, Almonds with Chilli-Lime Powder, Lemonade, Strawberries, Oranges, Passionfruit, Tomatos and some briefly cooked ceviche.

That Chilli Lime Powder is incredibly addictive. I should bottle it and use it as a general, all purpose condiment. It's got salt, pepper, chilli powder, lime zest, citric acid and a touch of sugar in it.

PS: I am a guy.

Shalmanese, am I right to assume that you are making your own chili-lime powder? It sounds great. I think I'll pick up some citric acid and try it out myself (popcorn, maybe?). These days, almost everything I eat is flavoured with lime, chili, sugar (and often fish sauce). I've been drinking beer with lime, and my boyfriend asked me if I intend to start putting chili, sugar, and fish sauce :blink: in there too!