• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Thank you Ann_T!! Your bagels, especially the shot with the juicy tomato sliced on the plate and the obscene amount of bacon on the side, always make me envious of your baking abilities. just beautiful. the cheesy bagels look even better than your standard poppy seed :smile:

Alana, your croissants look amazing. 

I made another batch of bagels this morning and this time made some with onions and cheddar cheese.  I had one while they were still hot for breakfast. 

gallery_27944_2966_449891.jpg

I love weekends. Breakfast consisted of many of my favorite things, sautéed in Italian sausage renderings, barely held together with an egg mixture, served in flame-warmed flour tortillas, and topped with crumbled feta cheese.

Favorite things: Italian sausage, lots of ripe Serrano chilies from the garden, shallots, mushrooms, tomatoes, and fish sauce.

Egg mixture: two eggs, a dab of sour cream, and more fish sauce.

Most amazing: I offered some to the boys.

Boys: “Sure, I’ll try it. Does it have mushrooms?”

Me: “Yes, but you will barely taste them”

Boys: “OK, I’ll try it. Wow, this is good, can I have more?”

Me: . . . (speechless)

I may yet cure them of Spaghetto-O’s.

gallery_42956_2536_113062.jpg

ETA: Ann_T and alanamoana: Your delicious bagels, breads, and croissants make me wish that I could bake. We probably need to invite our sister-in-law (and former pastry chef) over for a long visit/baking instruction course.

Edited by C. sapidus (log)

We had a late, ordinary breakfast: Soft grits for Chris, topped with two Jumbo butterfried over easy. We shared a split baguette, skillet toasted.

He likes to scumble the soft yolks into the grits, so I had the buttery pan-salted whites along with my tartine, which we spread with leftover chevre/mascarpone/dried cherry spread. Two cups of double-shot cap for me, Dr. Pepper for Chris.

No cooking.. Went to this place by me for breakfast.. Ordered soft boiled eggs, a big ol coffee and a side of ham.. Along with the bread came a Praline Spread and a couple of Preserves..

gallery_15057_2971_32080.jpg

gallery_15057_2971_78250.jpg

gallery_15057_2971_74676.jpg

gallery_15057_2971_4048.jpg

gallery_15057_2971_55502.jpg

gallery_15057_2971_149548.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

Daniel...those eggs look great !!

Yesterday, I made a dish inspiried by Jose Andrea's Tapas cookbook....

"Hot spring Egg" with White Asparagus

gallery_21049_162_5605.jpg

Yolk shot ... I would have liked the yolk to be a bit runny. The puree is of white asparaus. I found this dish to be a bit bland, so I added a bit of aioli.

gallery_21049_162_41250.jpg

Cheese grits, salmon cakes, and bacon, all made on my raclette/grill/griddle. Turned out delicious, if I do say so myself. :rolleyes:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

"Hot spring Egg" with White Asparagus

gallery_21049_162_5605.jpg

Yolk shot ... I would have liked the yolk to be a bit runny. The puree is of white asparaus. I found this dish to be a bit bland, so I added a bit of aioli.

gallery_21049_162_41250.jpg

Percy, how did you get the asparagus spears to stand up?

There are way too many symbols and innuendos here for me, intended or otherwise! :laugh: It's tempting, but I just can't go there.

I've had duck egg breakfasts recently, but I haven't been able to keep up with posts and photos. I'm still tuning in to this topic, though.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

How to put this lightly....hmmm (ponders)...Bacon.

Yes, really thats it...6 heavely slices from a butcher (most amazing bacon these lips have even consumed). I know, its not really your balanced, persay, breakfast...but it was mighty tasty.

Well in actuality, if you consider a 30 oz ICED coffee with plentiful amounts of french vanilla creamer, hazelnut creamer, and splenda (yes I mix the two creamers...french vanilla hazelnut is even better than either on its own) as part of breakfast, I guess the bacon had a friend!!! I used so much creamer my coffee was almost white, vs. black! HAHAHA

Almost forgot, topped the coffee with a squirt (okay okay multiple squirts which caused the mountain to almost fall off the t op of the class) of whipped cream - from the can (and I am proud of it, love the stuff!!!)

(edited to replace light in sentence one, with lightly...I am one screw loose today I believe!)

Edited by LindsayAnn (log)

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

There's nothing like good old tea and toast, though... And I'm talking any meal here... The smell of the toast reminds me of both my mother and my grandmother, that warm, homely smell that instantly sets my stomach grumbling.

Spread with bitter marmalade, honey, or best of all my mum's home-made damson jam (a perfect mixture of the best of marmalade and honey, sweet AND sour all at once!).

And the tea - earl grey or lady grey, no milk, made properly with really boiling water and not stewed too long. Or if there's no 'fancy' tea, normal tea with a small teaspoonful of sugar and a slice of lemon.

There's a tiny cafe here in Dublin called Maison des Gourmets - they mainly do take-away breads and tarts, but it's bliss in the mornings if you get one of their tables outside, on a quiet pedestrian street, where the waitress brings you your toasted sourdough, and calls you 'Madame' - just as though you were in Paris...

... aah, well we can all dream, can't we?!

There's a tiny cafe here in Dublin called Maison des Gourmets - they mainly do take-away breads and tarts, but it's bliss in the mornings if you get one of their tables outside, on a quiet pedestrian street, where the waitress brings you your toasted sourdough, and calls you 'Madame' - just as though you were in Paris...

... aah, well we can all dream, can't we?!

Vanessa,

I was in Dublin earlier this year and had breakfast there.. it was too cold to sit outside so I sat upstairs with my coffee and croissants and the newspaper.. while my husband was in the hotel with food-poisoning :shock:

It is a really nice place!

No cooking.. Went to this place by me for breakfast.. Ordered soft boiled eggs, a big ol coffee and a side of ham.. Along with the bread came a Praline Spread and a couple of Preserves..

Daniel, is this place called Pan Quotian or something?? from what I can see it looks like this place I went to in Paris and I know they have locations in NYC

Daniel, is this place called Pan Quotian or something?? from what I can see it looks like this place I went to in Paris and I know they have locations in NYC

Pain Quotidien, oui? There are a couple on the UWS...

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Yes yes.. Thats the place.. Good eye, good eye.. Place makes the best french bread in my area..

I made breakfast after going to the farmers market this morning. Poached Farm fresh eggs and bratwurst (also from the market) and slices of yellow tomato.

gallery_27944_2966_101865.jpg

This was Moe's breakfast. I actually had chicken curry and rice. The owner of my favourite little Indian restaurants sets up a booth at the farmers market. Second week in a row I've had chicken curry for breakfast.

Ann

Ann, it's striking just how perfect those poached eggs are. You can really see the difference when the eggs are truly fresh. Between you and me, I think chicken curry for breakfast sounds wonderful.

This morning we had Chufi's Dutch kaaspannenkoek (cheese crepes) for brunch. They were really tasty. She describes how to make them here.

gallery_41870_2503_16948.jpg

Edited by Shaya (log)