• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2004-2011)

percyn

Free-range pancakes and organic molasses with a local farmer's fresh butter. Rain Forest Costa Rican coffee. Delicious!

What are free-range pancakes?

I went to The Vinegar Factory for breakfast on Sunday with my cousin and a friend...spinach and mushroom omelet, bread basket, and COFFEE...

gallery_26775_1718_9279.jpg

Indeed, this is one meal that I don't make myself. Having moved from the West coast and left my beloved Peets Coffee and their lowfat banana bran muffin behind, I am still on the prowl in Manhattan for the perfect brew and muffin. I find Caffe Bacio the closest to the mark, and btw, I refuse to walk into a Starbucks. any suggestions? I hope this is not digressing too much from the topic at hand.

Free-range pancakes and organic molasses with a local farmer's fresh butter. Rain Forest Costa Rican coffee. Delicious!

I went to The Vinegar Factory for breakfast on Sunday with my cousin and a friend...spinach and mushroom omelet, bread basket, and COFFEE...

Indeed, this is one meal that I don't make myself. Having moved from the West coast and left my beloved Peets Coffee and their lowfat banana bran muffin behind, I am still on the prowl in Manhattan for the perfect brew and muffin. I find Caffe Bacio the closest to the mark, and btw, I refuse to walk into a Starbucks. any suggestions? I hope this is not digressing too much from the topic at hand.

Where in Manhattan do you live?

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Where in Manhattan do you live?

UES.

UES.

Hmmmm...me, too. I'm not a big muffin person, but the coffee at DTUT (2nd between 84th and 85th) is pretty good. Their baked goods are iffy, though.

Across the street (same block) is Andre's Cafe...they make a great cup of coffee, and their pastries are excellent, too, especially the croissants. You can get both coffee and croissant to go.

Two Little Red Hens (2nd between 85th and 86th) makes a decent coffee, and their scones and muffins are very good.

There's always Eli's, too - 80th and Third. Good coffee, great baked goods (muffins, coffee cake, donuts, cakes, cookies, pies, bread). Similarly, E.A.T., at 80th and Madison, is also an Eli Zabar place (the original Eli Zabar place, actually - Zabar's is owned by his family, but E.A.T. is the first shop he opened on his own) and has the same baked goods and coffee.

If you have time to sit down, one of the best breakfasts on the UES is at Cafe Sabarsky, at 86th and 5th.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I made the French Laundry brioche recipe yesterday, and baked it for breakfast this morning. Then I sliced and toasted it, and covered it with more Plugra. Not pictured are the fried eggs, Nueske's applewood smoked bacon (yum), and coffee.

gallery_35727_2396_178788.jpg

Edited by Ling (log)

UES.

Hmmmm...me, too. I'm not a big muffin person, but the coffee at DTUT (2nd between 84th and 85th) is pretty good. Their baked goods are iffy, though.

Across the street (same block) is Andre's Cafe...they make a great cup of coffee, and their pastries are excellent, too, especially the croissants. You can get both coffee and croissant to go.

Two Little Red Hens (2nd between 85th and 86th) makes a decent coffee, and their scones and muffins are very good.

There's always Eli's, too - 80th and Third. Good coffee, great baked goods (muffins, coffee cake, donuts, cakes, cookies, pies, bread). Similarly, E.A.T., at 80th and Madison, is also an Eli Zabar place (the original Eli Zabar place, actually - Zabar's is owned by his family, but E.A.T. is the first shop he opened on his own) and has the same baked goods and coffee.

If you have time to sit down, one of the best breakfasts on the UES is at Cafe Sabarsky, at 86th and 5th.

Thanks, all good to know. I have tried Eli's, but will take it upon myself to do some homework on the other places. Can't pass up the opportunity to sample a good croissant.

Stack It Up

As everyone knows, Sunday is pancake day at chez Parmhero.

Today's stack: Big Daddy’s Whopping Mother Load

Apple walnut pancakes, eggs over easy, bacon, with coffee and the Sunday Times.

gallery_44755_2822_428992.jpg

gallery_44755_2822_250341.jpg

Zoom in before the eating begins.

gallery_44755_2822_371522.jpg

A bite.

gallery_44755_2822_177048.jpg

Gratuitous dog shot

"Yo, I want one of those!"

Bill, if you are placing an order at D'Artagnan then I would recommend adding this to your shopping basket as well. The main think I liked about this bacon was the depth of flavor from the wild boar meat and while the version I made was not as crisp as regular bacon, I was not trying to crisp it either. If you want, I can put a few strips in the convection oven for a few minutes to see if it crisps well.

Oh, no need! It sounds good -- and when I'm getting things anyway and it's not big enough to significantly add to the shipping cost, it's a good time for me to try it. If they still have shanks on sale when I place the order I'm going to get a couple of those too -- from Christmas to Epiphany tends to be very pork-focused for me.

On Ling's brioche toast--with apologies for potty mouth:

Holy crap is that the best looking piece of toast i've seen in this life! (great use of light, too)

On Parmhero's gutsy, forward thinking decision to serve walnut pancakes with fried eggs on top--good show! We'll pour a little mimosa off to you this weekend when we brazenly copy your invention at home.

This weekend will also be a test-kitchen run of several sweet potato pancake recipes, trying to balance SP content with light/buttermilk tangy pancake. Pics forthcoming.

I made the French Laundry brioche recipe yesterday, and baked it for breakfast this morning. Then I sliced and toasted it, and covered it with more Plugra. Not pictured are the fried eggs, Nueske's applewood smoked bacon (yum), and coffee.

gallery_35727_2396_178788.jpg

OOOH Ling, that looks amazing.

I haven't looked at this thread recently and have missed out on some great breakfasts.

Shalmanese Your skillet breakfast would last me all day. Love your combination.

Made Moe a Pancake Breakfast this morning with a side of Canadian Back Bacon.

gallery_27944_2966_183784.jpg

No photos because all I have a flashless, focusless free phone (alliteration comes with the calling plan).

I don't usually have much of a breakfast, maybe because I work at home and am able to have more substantial lunches than most people probably do. But Sundays I tend to have a large breakfast mid-morning -- pain perdu, if I have bread around for it.

This morning was crabcakes, something I've never quite gotten right -- I erred on the side of a little too much filler this time, probably because last time I used too little and they fell apart when I flipped them. Still good, just a bit heavy. Topped them with an egg over easy and a sauce of demiglace, cream, hot sauce, Worcestershire, and pecans -- my go-to seafood sauce.

Some grits would have been nice if I were only having one crabcake, but as it is I barely finished.

French press coffee with cream and a shot of Strega, and um a can of Vault Zero.

mmm...your mystery ingredient looks like intertwined strands of cheddar and mozzarella string cheese, percyn.

- -- - - - - - - -

Yesterday’s fare was a typical Saturday morning breakfast—omelet, home fries, breakfast sausage, toasted bagel with butter, coffee.

gallery_44755_2822_214252.jpg

Omelet filling is cheddar, parmesan, sautéed onions and potatoes.

gallery_44755_2822_77084.jpg

gallery_44755_2822_309648.jpg

Bite!

gallery_44755_2822_134646.jpg

Weather this morning was sunny, not too cold.

gallery_44755_2822_81941.jpg

Dog thought balloon: “Would you please let me out already…”

"Yo, I want one of those!"

Parmhero What could be better than fried potatoes on the side and potatoes in the omelette.

I made Moe poached eggs on fried potatoes and myself an egg salad sandwich.

I had a couple of Pide breads leftover from last nights dinner. It made wonderful toast and sandwich bread.

gallery_27944_2966_582275.jpg

gallery_27944_2966_548043.jpg

Ann

mmm...your mystery ingredient looks like intertwined strands of cheddar and mozzarella string cheese, percyn.

Nope. Sorry, ... here is another hint

300889961_c0a1812d74_o.jpg

You are a very brave man Percyn :biggrin: At the restaurant Prune, if you order there Youth Hostile breakfast, you receive an ice bucket with several of these fish spreads in it..

Edited by Daniel (log)

It's a mistake to go through this thread before breakfast...here I am, morosely contemplating these mouth-watering photos and feeling motivated to eat, but not to put much together this morning. Maybe because I'm a little under the weather today - or because I had breakfast late last night. It was toasted sourdough bread (inspired from the minimalist no-knead thread), spread with salt butter, topped with tomato slices slowly sauteed in butter and besprinkled with fresh-ground black pepper and salt, and eggs fried in the same skillet. All that butter...no wonder my arteries ache this morning. ("Yes," says the little devil hovering over my left shoulder, "but you love butter, you know you love butter.")

Breakfast was a cup of filter coffee. Vitamins, kyolic garlic capsule and echinacea on the side. I'm going back to bed. Wake me up if any of you guys bake croissants, please.

Miriam

Miriam Kresh

blog:[blog=www.israelikitchen.com][/blog]