• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sweetbreads + brown sauce?

MobyP

I've been looking up a lot of classical sweetbread preparations recently, and I keep noticing - from Ducasse to Sone, and Keller to Robuchon, that all of them go with a brown veal stock + red wine (or variation) type sauce.

Am I the only one who thinks this seems counterintuitive? The sweeetbread is such a fantastically delicate and subtle meat, I keep thinking you'd want a white wine + chx stock or white veal stock based sauce. Possibly a sauterne.

Is it just me? Wouldn't a brown sauce dominate the delicate flavour?

What do people think?

Edited by MobyP (log)

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

I've only had sweetbreads once and they came with a brown sauce with morels. which was actually amazing.

Have to say, Moby, when I first read this topic, I thought it was going to be about sweetbreads with HP Sauce - which really did make my tastebuds curl.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

I've had sweetbreads lightly floured and pan-fried, served with a lemon butter sauce (which makes sense, what with the frying and all). This seems to me a better way to go all than the traditional brown sauce, which, I agree, seems a bit much.

I can only assume the brown sauce is traditional because it stands up to the organy whiffiness (to use the technical term) of sweetbreads, which, though subtle, is certainly a large part of sweetbreads' presence.

It occurs to me, too, that sweetbreads might be paired with darker sauces for reasons of coloring: I can't recall -- do sweetbreads "bleed" much? what color are their juices? If they give off pinkish juices, cooks might avoid lighter colored sauces just 'cause they'd look ghastly on a plate.

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

Sweetbreads are awfully rich, though, and although "richness" is not the same as "flavor" it does give them a little more muscle within the scrum and the ability to stand up to a stronger sauce.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Sweetbreads are "usually" blanched first-with some notable exceptions. Some also soak overnight first to remove any traces of blood. In my mind a brown sauce is the perfect for sweetbreads. The "organy" flavor stands up well to a dark sauce. Mushrooms and a splash of madeira are my favorite.

hth, danny

Well, veal stock might be dark but a glace hasn't much flavour of its own. Chicken stock tastes much more of what it is, innit?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

what is a HP Sauce?

"House of Parliament", duckie.

A bottled sauce which is quite chutneyish with tamarind. fish sauce, etc. Commonly called "brown sauce".

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Very little blood in sweetbreads, either pancreas or thymus, and the prep should take care of what's there.

I like the traditional brown sauce version of sweetbreads, but if I were going to go lighter would probably go with something lemony, as a contrast against the richness. I'd go light on chicken stock lest it taste too much of chicken.

Can you pee in the ocean?

I've never come across that organy smell described above. Organs/glands do decompose faster than muscle so they should always be as fresh as possible.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

I've never come across that organy smell described above. Organs/glands do decompose faster than muscle so they should always be as fresh as possible.

Hrm. I dunno that the organy note I detect is due to a lack of freshness. It might be that, as unused to organ meat as I am (I am a USAian after all :raz: ), I'm more sensitive to the slightest hint of innardsy taste. Hell, I know people who find hanger steak has an organy taste. I guess YMMV.

I'm wondering if busboy's not right about the richness of sweetbreads lending itself to brown sauces over white. That said, I think tangy, lemony sauces will do you just as well, classical pairings be damned.

If anyone needs me, I'll be off enjoying my foie gras with a dry red wine. :biggrin:

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

If they are crispy fried coated in breadcrumbs i go for finely grated lemon rind,chopped parsly and finely mashed garlic with EVOO as a dressing.

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

If they are crispy fried coated in breadcrumbs i go for  finely grated lemon rind,chopped parsly and finely mashed garlic with EVOO as a dressing.

Which sounds perfect to me. The only warning would be not to use too much lemon.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)