• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What to cook for Bux

bleudauvergne

Well, I'm getting ready to have Bux over for dinner.  What should I cook for him?  :rolleyes:  He said he was hankering after some escargots, so that's an idea.  What else?  :cool:  He must be on the road right about now.

Lucy, what about those lovely chanterelles? Or do they not go with escargots? Whatever you do decide to cook, I'm sure it will be wonderful.

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

You know I hate to say this, but Bux isn't listening now, so I will - but thinking about his posts over the past year, there's nothing that doesn't send him off on a reverie: go with your strengths and the product (I had great Mossiac greengage plums in Paris last week) and the Times had an article on them September 1st. Wish I were there.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Lucy,

There are lots of fungi available now at the market, n'est-ce pas? The escargots sound delicious and go with what's fresh like you always do! Just be sure to serve him lots of wine! BTW can you take a picture and post it, I have wondered what Bux looks like!

Do you have to be a forum host to dine with you Lucy? :wink:

Edited by raisab (log)

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

Ideas already! Hmmm, the chanterelles.

Just to clarify, Today's Thursday, and Bux and his wife coming for dinner on Tuesday. The only thing that I've decided on is to definitely cook dinner for them. They will be coming after having spent a few days in the Bas Langudoc with friends, and they will have had dinner somewhere in or around Lyon the night before. I think my choice should take that into consideration. I am leaning in the direction of something local, but I want to stay as light as possible, I want to do something special and creative, but not too much fuss. Another thing, I work all day and won't be home before 7PM on that day. I usually serve the following when I receive friends:

Aperetif with small bites

Appetizer at the table

Main course

Salad

Fromage

Dessert

I usually buy dessert because it's not my specialty and I prefer to support the local commerce (anyway it's too dangerous to prepare myself)... :raz:

Shopping will include the St. Antoine Market on Saturday. We right now have a ratty old selection of cheeses on the plate, and I'll need to spruce that up as well. I'll be going to Les Halles for that.

Please give any ideas you may have about what Bux might like... :rolleyes:

Escargots en croute? 

Do you have any rabbit left over from your blog?? 

Does Chez Pierre do take-out???

Those are all very good ideas, johnnyd. Rabbit... Hmmm. On second thought. I think I'll make that for dinner tonight... and maybe with the leftovers make some rillettes to perhaps serve during the aperetif. Very nice idea.

Do you have any rabbit left over from your blog?? 

That's exactly what I was thinking -- what about rabbit?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

They will certainly appreciate a good tortilla de patatas. :raz::wink:

Seriously, Mrs. B loves tripes and so does Bux. A dish that takes a lot time to cook but with the great advantage that can be cooked well in advance (over the weekend).

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

How about your Tartiflette (sp).

Oh man how I love tartiflette, was just saying to my DH last night, it's getting colder! Time for tartiflette. If you would like to share your recipe maybe???? mmmm.....

ok enough about what I like, back to Bux! :raz:

Oh man how I love tartiflette, was just saying to my DH last night, it's getting colder! Time for tartiflette. If you would like to share your recipe maybe???? mmmm.....

ok enough about what I like, back to Bux!  :raz:

Check out bleu d'auvergne's food blog from last spring. The recipe is in there; with photos and extra tips too! :smile:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I love tartiflette too. And it's a nice idea but I just can't serve it, it's too hot right now in Lyon. We'd all be sitting around feeling like we were in a hot sauna by the time I got finished cooking it, and then once we'd had a plate we'd all fall asleep right there at the table. Anyway, here's a Link to the tartiflette recipe and pics (I just love that we can link to the individual posts so easily now!)

I want to try these savory sorbets being offered at Nardonne, though. If I serve a mini itty bitty tartiflette and then follow it with a nice cool savory sorbet... Nah. It'll never work.

Tripes are good, very good idea pedro, but if they both love em you know they'll be ordering them when they eat out in Lyon the night before... But just for discussion's sake, lets say I prepare some tripe. What would I build around it to make a memorable meal? I'm going for the whole ensemble here. What have you seen tripe served with? Wines? Types of Salad? Entree? I need a theme here.

Tripes are good, very good idea pedro,

Yes, so good it doesn't look mine. :raz::wink:

But just for discussion's sake, lets say I prepare some tripe.  What would I build around it to make a memorable meal?  I'm going for the whole ensemble here.  What have you seen tripe served with?  Wines?  Types of Salad?  Entree?  I need a theme here.

To properly answer that question I would have to know a lot more about how tripes are typically served in France, but I'm sure you guys will take me up to speed in no time.

Regarding the wine, and assuming it's a heavy and spiced dish, you have a wide range of options, going from a powerful Rhone syrah to the subtleness of a Burgundy, or perhaps covering unexplored ground with some white Sancerre.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

The tripe we had at Casa Mono was braised with a red wine reduction and served with chickpeas and morcilla. It was very good. My only complaint was there wasn't much of it. :raz:

I've had tripe alla parmiagana (Babbo), tacos con tripas and oxtail stew with tripe, vegetables and peanut sauce. Whilst they're all good in their own way, I'm not sure that's what they (and you) are looking for.

You could try menudo, Gras-Double 'Leon de Lyon', or buscecca ticinese (Swedish tripe soup with garlic bread).

Soba

Mr and Ms Bux are very, very lucky!!!

There was an octopus that you made...maybe on the blog....maybe on the Montigac (spelling?) thread..anyway, that octopus looked fabulous and could be a nice appetizer at the table...nice, crisp cold white wine.

Little birdies might make a nice meat course...like quail. Kind of a going into autumn food.

And don't ask me a thing about deserts!! I also support the locals for that course.

Bon Appetit! :biggrin:

hi lucy! i sort of love putting together dishes to match the taste of my guests. love-because its such a joy pleasing people. sort of-because it makes me a little crazy worrying about it ahead of time.

and i don't really know bux's taste, though he so kindly helped me out yesterday with something and said he'd be seeing you in lyon.

you're right that its too darned hot for tartiflette. tell him to come back in a few months! and i'll come too if invited!

but i'm thinking: early autumn. early autumn. if it were later autumn i'd make a rich earthy pumpkin soup. but since its earlyish and still warm, what about a puree of endive soup flecked with a constelation of chopped chives and served with teeny croutons and if you are feeling expansive, tiny bites of foie gras? the soup is easy: sweat endives, add white wine, stock, whirl it with cream, add lots of chives, if you want the whole recipe let me know.

i'm also thinking cod grilled with romsecu on a bed of bitter salad greens as a main course, or cod grilled with chorizo which makes its own flavourful oil, and maybe a few olives. very mediterranean, but leave me to my own devices for long enough and i head med.

it will be fun to hear about what you finally decide. yum.

marlena

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

but i'm thinking: early autumn. early autumn. if it were later autumn i'd make a rich earthy pumpkin soup. but since its earlyish and still warm, what about a puree of endive soup flecked with a constelation of chopped chives and served with teeny croutons and if you are feeling expansive, tiny bites of foie gras? the soup is easy: sweat endives, add white wine, stock, whirl it with cream, add lots of chives, if you want the whole recipe let me know.

May I have the recipe for the endive...do you puree it at some point? I have some 'discerning' guests coming for dinner tonight, and this could be very good.Thanks!!

Lucy: if you are looking for other soup ideas, I made a spiced carrot soup (ginger and lots of Indian spices) with apples that was very good. Then served it with a dollop of sherried whip cream. Looked pretty and tasted great.

It's a good time of the year for a light soup. I was thinking for the first course an escargot watercress soup with fennel. Or maybe a light creamy mushroom soup, incorporating escargots as a garnish?

Anyway I'll be going to the market tomorrow and Sunday. I'll report back on what looks good.

marlena's creamy endive soup with croutons and chives

serves about 6

this recipe is from my class, and in fact i'm not allowed to share them but well i want you to enjoy......but please attribute it to me and sfchron cooking classes if passing it along. thanks!

For the croutons:

about 3 big slices stale pain levain or any rustic bread with a fairly tight crumb

1-2 tablespoons butter

1 tablespoon oil

For the soup:

1-2 shallots, chopped (about 1/4 cup)

about 6 endives, thinly sliced

2-3 tablespoons butter

2-3 tablespoons flour

1/2 cup dry white wine

4 cups chicken or vegetable broth

1 cup cream

salt and pepper to taste

1 bunch of chives, finely chopped

Make the croutons: dice the bread into small cubes. Heat a heavy nonstick frying pan and melt the butter with the oil, then lightly toast the bread cubes, over a medium low heat, tossing every so often, until the bread turns crisply golden and toasty. Remove from the heat and set aside.

Make the soup: Sweat the shallots and endives in a heavy bottomed soup pan in the butter, stirring every so often, until vegetables are slightly softened, perhaps 6 or so minutes. Sprinkle in the flour and continue to cook and stir a minute or two longer.

Pour in the wine and stir, and cook down, then add the broth, and cook and stir, bringing the mixture to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the soup is tehickened and the endives are tender.

Puree, straining the mixture through a sieve or a chinois if a smooth consistency is desired, then return to the pot and add the cream. |Heat through until it just begtins to bubble around the edges. Taste for salt and pepper.

Ladle the hot soup into warmed bowls and top with buttery croutons and big handfuls of chives!

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com