• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine & Spirits Bargains at the PLCB (Part 1)

Evan:

You'll have to let us know if you liked it.  That newton Merlot is pretty darned tasty too!

Opened tonight. I agree - excellent value and a real easy to quaff wine. Smooth and restrained tannin. I love the leather notes. I shall get some more of this stuff. Thanks.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

Jeff and Evan:

Glad you both liked the Campillo Rioja! I have to go pick up a few more of those to sock away for future reference.

My wine consumption (at home at least) is down lately because I'm trying to be good and drop a few pounds. So for now it's lots and lots of iced green tea and not quite so much wine. Except when I'm hanging out with Percy and philadining and Capaneus and all those other bad influences... :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Jeff and Evan:

Glad you both liked the Campillo Rioja!  I have to go pick up a few more of those to sock away for future reference.

My wine consumption (at home at least) is down lately because I'm trying to be good and drop a few pounds.  So for now it's lots and lots of iced green tea and not quite so much wine.  Except when I'm hanging out with Percy and philadining and Capaneus and all those other bad influences... :biggrin:

Well if you drink only wine, that ought to do it - as long as you take vitamin B pills you will survive :biggrin:

I also see the Newton puzzle is out - gonna try that too.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

Well if you drink only wine, that ought to do it - as long as you take vitamin B pills you will survive  :biggrin:

Thanks, Doctor! :wink:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

This is a question for Deidre when she checks in....

Jonathan Newman mentioned an upcoming enhancement to the system where someone could order from a local store online based on available web inventory and pick it up at the store. Is there a timetable for this? THAT will be terrific when it is implemented.

Evan

Edited by shacke (log)

Dough can sense fear.

This is a question for Deidre when she checks in....

Jonathan Newman mentioned an upcoming enhancement to the system where someone could order from a local store online based on available web inventory and pick it up at the store.  Is there a timetable for this?  THAT will be terrific when it is implemented.

Evan

Hello Evan, I think that this will happen in the next year or so. We have already started allowing Licensee accounts the ability to do this. I am planning on attending the opening of our store in Ridley Park tomorrow (it’s not far off of 95 in Delaware County). I hope I’ll get a chance to ask Jonathan Newman for more details. This store is a small local store however some Trinchero wines will be poured, if you are in the area stop by. A link to those events: here

Changing the subject ever so slightly I noticed the Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc is back in most Philly area stores…I think that this is the only way to beat this heat and humidity scary that it is this early in the day and my mouth is watering at the thought…

-Deidre

There's some fabulous stuff on deck in the Chairman's selections:

Upcoming Chairman's Selections

The Artesa Pinot Noir should be great.  I visited Artesa Winery (take virtual tour) when in Napa and thought it was architecturally one of the coolest buildings I've ever seen (view #4 on virtual tour), as well as having one of the most breathtaking views of Carneros (or anywhere - view #7 on virtual tour) I've ever had the pleasure of sipping a glass of wine to and toasting.  The Chateau St. Jean "Cenq Cepages" Cabernet is a bargain even in the $40-ish price range.  The Chateau St. Jean "Belle Terre Vineyard" Chardonnay is stupid cheap for $14.99.  The Montes Alpha wines from Chile are also excellent.  Newton "Puzzle" is also a steal at $22.99.

Cool!  Lots of new stuff to go shopping for.  :smile:

Well if you can keep a secret, the Newtown collection store has both the Freemark Abbey Sycamore and Boche 2000 vintage. I saw it in the upcoming section but it is not on the current Chairman Selection list.

I just finished my second bottle of the Sycamore and can attest to Mr. Newman's savvy and appreciate the ridiculously low price of $17.99 ($50.00 on their site)

Can't wait to sample the Boche! Crazy price of $19.99 vs. $60 at Freemark Abbey!!

Well if you can keep a secret, the Newtown collection store has both the Freemark Abbey Sycamore and Boche 2000 vintage. I saw it in the upcoming section but it is not on the current Chairman Selection list.

I just finished my second bottle of the Sycamore and can attest to Mr. Newman's savvy and appreciate the ridiculously low price of $17.99 ($50.00 on their site)

Can't wait to sample the Boche! Crazy price of $19.99 vs. $60 at Freemark Abbey!!

Dough can sense fear.

It's funny I was staring at a pile of that in West Chester tonight, tempted, but feeling a little overstocked on cab. So I passed on that, but I now I'm thinking I might go back....

The Chairman is a crafty fellow, I meant to just grab some of that Arrowood Syrah, but saw great deals on Montes Alpha Syrah as well, a stray bottle of Trilogy, a Byron Pinot... I should have known better than to go in there and browse!

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Is there going to be a "grand opening" for the new Quakertown store, with tastings, etc? I stopped in about a week ago because I was in the area, and it turns out it was their FIRST day open, and there were still empty racks and boxes and boxes of bottles yet to be shelved. Looked like it will be a really nice store, however.

It's funny I was staring at a pile of that in West Chester tonight, tempted, but feeling a little overstocked on cab.  So I passed on that, but I now I'm thinking I might go back....

The Chairman is a crafty fellow, I meant to just grab some of that Arrowood Syrah, but saw great deals on Montes Alpha Syrah as well, a stray bottle of Trilogy, a Byron Pinot...  I should have known better than to go in there and browse!

My name is Pedro. I have a problem...

I've had to start maping my purchases in advance, and try to stick to the plan. I've budgeted for the Edmeades, that Chateau Whatchamacallit $18 Sauternes, and the Artesa PN.

Or at least that was the plan. Until I got down to eight bottles of the Arrowood and panicked - had to get another case. And then the Campillo looked just too good to pass up, and I don't currently have any Rioja, and really, it's a '96 Riserva, and just $15, practically giving it away is what they are, and the bottles are so pretty, so shiny....

I had a plan. Now I got a problem.

It's funny I was staring at a pile of that in West Chester tonight, tempted, but feeling a little overstocked on cab.  So I passed on that, but I now I'm thinking I might go back....

The Chairman is a crafty fellow, I meant to just grab some of that Arrowood Syrah, but saw great deals on Montes Alpha Syrah as well, a stray bottle of Trilogy, a Byron Pinot...  I should have known better than to go in there and browse!

I've had to start maping my purchases in advance, and try to stick to the plan. I've budgeted for the Edmeades, that Chateau Whatchamacallit $18 Sauternes, and the Artesa PN.

Or at least that was the plan. Until I got down to eight bottles of the Arrowood and panicked - had to get another case. And then the Campillo looked just too good to pass up, and I don't currently have any Rioja, and really, it's a '96 Riserva, and just $15, practically giving it away is what they are, and the bottles are so pretty, so shiny....

:everyone in unison singsong:

Hi Pedro!

Yeah - we have a problem too. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Hi Pedro!

As one of my former idiot bosses used to say, There are no problems, only opportunities." They way I look at this it is one hell of an opportunity

I Just received this email FWIW ......

I have not sent out this kind of email to my subscribers before, but I

recently came across such a screaming wine deal that I felt compelled to

let everyone in Pennsylvania, (or close enough to get here) know about it.

I have always been a big fan of Freemark Abbey wines from the Napa Valley.

Freemark Abbey has two "single vineyard designated" wines, one is called

Bosché (Boshay) and the other, Sycamore Vineyards. Both are Napa Valley

cabernets that I have considered to be exemplary examples of Napa cabs.

These wine typically retail between $55 and $65 per bottles.

When I sold these wines for Paterno Imports, I was lucky to have 20 cases

of Bosche available for the whole state of Colorado and I never saw the

Syscamore.

Imagine my astonishment to walk into a Pennsylvania Premium Selection store

on Friday and find stacks of these wines, 2000 vintage, for $17.99

(Sycamore ) and 19.99 (Bosché) as a Chairman's Selection.

It's insane.

Say what you will about Pennsylvania's state run liquor operations, the

buying power he has to get deals like this is incredible. If you like

California cabernets, I urge you to check out the nearest Premium Selection

Wine shop (except for the Gateway Plaza store, where there are none left)

and make a purchase.

You will not get many opportunities to have wines of this caliber at this

price.

Notes from FreemarkAbbey.com

Freemark Abbey :: Cabernet Bosché :: 2000 Cabernet Bosché

A blend of 90% Cabernet Sauvignon and 10% Merlot, all from the Bosché

Vineyard, located in the heart of the Rutherford Bench. Deep ruby color,

with an appealing nose of black cherry, aromatic cedar, earthiness, and

dusty forest floor. Black cherry, coffee, and dark chocolate flavors blend

smoothly, leading to a balanced wine with a lingering finish. A full 24

months of barrel age coupled with 16 months in the bottle allow this wine

to slightly soften, but the 2000 Cabernet Bosché still retains it powerful

fruit character and solid structure. Our Winemaker suggest 10-15 years of

cellaring.

$ 65.00

2000 Sycamore Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon

he 2000 Sycamore Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon is aged for two years in

French Oak and further aged two years in the bottle. Intense ruby color,

and an appealing nose of juniper berry, brown sugar and molasses plus dark

chocolate. Dark chocolate, coffee, vanilla, and dark cherry flavors blend

delightfully, leading to a lingering fruitful finish. A blend of 81%

Cabernet Sauvignon, 11% Merlot, 8% Cab Franc. Cellar life of 7-15 years.

$ 55.00

The only caveat that I would throw in is this. The wines are drinking

beautifully right now. It would seem unlikely that they will improve

substantially over the next 10 ten years. I'm sure they will hold their own

for several years to come, but don't lay them down for a decade expecting

them to get even better.

Drink up, I say.

EVO

Eric V. Orange (EVO)

Local Wine Events.com

Is there going to be a "grand opening" for the new Quakertown store, with tastings, etc?  I stopped in about a week ago because I was in the area, and it turns out it was their FIRST day open, and there were still empty racks and boxes and boxes of bottles yet to be shelved.  Looked like it will be a really nice store, however.

Hello, the information on upcoming grand openings can be found on our informational web site under FYI on the right hand side. here. I didn’t want to link the page specifically as it may change when new information is added.

The Quakertown grand opening is Thursday, August 11, 5:30 p.m. -- Calvin Sidhu, proprietor of Byron Winery, will host a tasting to celebrate the grand opening of the PLCB's new Premium Collection Store at 1465 W. Broad St., Quakertown.

Another grand opening that you might be interested in is the grand opening of Delaware County’s first Super Store in Springfield. Wednesday, August 17, 5:30 p.m. -- Margo Van Staaveren, winemaker for Chateau St. Jean, will host a tasting to celebrate the grand opening of the PLCB's new Premium Collection Store at 149 Baltimore Pike, Springfield.

Also I hear Media in Delaware County is planning on opening in Oct./Nov. will be near the Trader Joes I’ll keep you posted.

Deidre

Hi Pedro!

Don't you *even*, Little Missy!

Codependent enabler, that's what you are.

:raz:

Dough can sense fear.

So pretty and shiny and getting quite rare. Last chance in many places. I got my last few bottles. I have gotten out of buying too much quantity with any one wine lately but this is a multi bottle purchase for sure.

As part of your rehabilation Pedro, step one is to drop your most cherished wines at my house. It will hurt me more than it will hurt you but thats healing amigo. Break the bonds.

Evan

Edited by ddwinedrinker (log)

I have a problem too!  I keep telling my husband after trips to our PLCB Store here in Wyomissing that I could be spending all this money on shoes instead of wine!  He can't fit into my shoes so he should appreciate that I enjoy the wine and I am willing to share.  I too, would like to contribute to your rehab, Pedro.  Anything that doesn't fit in Evan's cellar, I am certain I can find room for in mine.  Together we can overcome! :biggrin:

Welcome ddwinedrinker. Don't be a stranger....

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

Net result of my deeply felt  :wink:  cri de coeur: three bottles of the Freemark Sycamore.

Addicts shouldn't speak to addicts.

I'm drinking this now, and its a killer 18 dollar wine, but for the life of me, I couldn't see 60 bucks. Maybe 35....

I think we're paying rational prices, and its everyone else that's nuts.

I'm drinking this now, and its a killer 18 dollar wine, but for the life of me, I couldn't see 60 bucks. Maybe 35....

I think we're paying rational prices, and its everyone else that's nuts.

Point well taken.

A couple of Chairman's Selection's I've had the pleasure of trying over the last week:

Hahn Estate Meritage 2003 Central Coast - $15.49

50% Merlot

42% Cabernet Sauvignon

5% Malbec

2% Petit Verdot

1% Cabernet Franc

Very supple and drinking well now. Would probably improve with some bottle age, but I wouldn't lay it down forever. Very big fat ripe fruit flavors, like a more voluptuous Bordeaux. Elegant with a subtle influence of oak, a hint of dessert spices in the background, lots of forward berry flavor in the front. A bargain.

Lancaster Estate Red Blend 2001 Alexander Valley - $19.99

88% Cabernet Sauvignon

8% Merlot

2% Malbec

1% Cabernet Franc

1% Petit Verdot

Oh. My. God. Must go buy more of this as soon as I'm able. This wine is absolutely luscious. Big fat textbook Alexander Valley red with tons of fruit and lots of depth. There's black cherry, cedar, pencil lead and spiciness all rolled into one. That lovely hint of violets that one can usually only find in fine Bordeaux. Structured for aging but utterly delicious right now. This wine received an 89 from Wine Enthusiast and tons of other accolades. It's big and brawny, yet surprisingly graceful. Kind of like Evander Holyfield ballroom dancing. :biggrin: This wine is listed at $65 and it's a miracle that it's priced at $19.99. David Ramey, one of my very favorite winemaker's assisted in the production of this wine and it's definitely up to his exacting standards. Fabulous. This one is a DO NOT MISS.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

There's black cherry, cedar, pencil lead and spiciness all rolled into one

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!